Winners Announced: The Strike

Want to win The Strike for Xbox360? Just submit a fishing-related question by Jan 1st. The 2 best questions (as chosen by editors) will appear in a future Outdoor Life issue and win a copy of The Strike. Submit as many times as you want!
Rate Article100%0%

from KristenKeys wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Congratulations to grantorrin and ben2009 for submitting their Bass Pro Shops STRIKE-winning fishing question submissions. Look for the answers in an upcoming issue of Outdoor Life magazine. Thanks for all your submissions!

grantorrin:
What is the best way to determine the proper drag setting for a type of fishing? Whenever I hook into a big fish, like a pike or striper, it seems that my drag is either too tight or too loose.

ben2009:
I am a young fisherman, 13, and I want to better my fishing abilities. What is the best way to approach a stream to fish for trout?

from Yoda wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Alot of different companies now have specially sharpened hooks and such, I know it is important to have a good sharp hook but does having a hook that is chemically treated, or lazer sharpened really giving you an advantage over hooks that are just plain?

from 68mystang wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

what is the best reel for river fishing- as i see that the open face reels are gaining popularity, I still favor closed reels.
what is the difference and why is one the best over others

from HOBIT wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

How far have they gotten and how much damage do the asian invaders do to our lakes?

from surfohio wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I have recently been introduced to fly fishing and enjoy it. Have only caught trout and small pan fish. Is it possible to fly fish for larger bass and what would be the best way "dry or wet"?

from amywarren wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

My 3 year old son wants to go fishing in the sound, but I know nothing about fishing. Is it better to go at low tide or high tide?

from Runningfawn3 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

How far do you put an indicator above a fly when fly fishing?

from Runningfawn3 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

What is the correct way to remove a hook out of a fish without injuring it?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

How do if at all do moon phases effect fish activity ?

from blackhawk 10x wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

ok- getting older , sight and agility not the best, whats the best knot for all around fishing? fly hooks and fresh water lures. the finger just are not moving as well as they used to.
let me know before too much more frustration sits in.
thanks

from grantorrin wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

If a fish is hooked deeply, is it best to clip the line rather than attempt to remove the hook? What are the proper handling techniques to improve the fish's chances for survival?

from crazymike wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

If you are trolling for stripers at night with surface swimbait is it best to use a light colored lure or a dark one? I've heard if you are fishing in the dark to use dark. Is this true?

from crazymike wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

If you're fishing for bass in 40' of water and the fish are suspended at 20', are your chances better to fish from the surface down to 20' or work your way up from 40' to 20'? In other words are the fish more likely to come up for a lure or go down after one?

from shazamn wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I just read an article on a news site that stated that around 1300 - 1600+ Sub species of catfish are poisonous. I like to fish for nice channel cats but, my wife just recently had our first baby, a son! Is it safe to take him channel fishing? I know I was "stung" a few times as a youngster but, do we know what the risk is?

from Bubba wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

If you could fish with ONLY ONE kind of lure, what would it be?

from ben2009 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from MWK_MN wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

What saltwater and freshwater species of sport fish will be the first to be negatively impacted by global warming and in what way?

from MWK_MN wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

What year and for what species of fish were the very first regulations established for fishing in the United States?

from BeardogRed wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Been fishin for 6 decades and I have caught a few things with artificial equipment, but How do I get a lesson from an expert cheap, as I am broke and hungry!
Any OL videos ???

Just watched a good skeet lesson from a pro from y'all!
Maybe if I win I can catch something....

I am a fishin and huntin fool!

from BeardogRed wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

#1. Where can I locate a copy of the original book published around 1950 titled (I believe) "Lunkers Love Crawlers". Read it the first time when a older friend in WI loaned it to me for Walleye, Musky, Trout, etc..... fishin... Magnificant book, but think it is out of print?? HELP!!!!!
#2 Help.....I can never catch beans or cans or boots using my artificial lure;Doesn't matter if they are for plugs for Bass, Fly Fishin flies, or Northern Pike Daredevils... Help Needed!!!

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

OK I caught a fish this past summer & there was hooks all over his body & hooks still in his throat & mouth it started a debate at the lake. MY ? is ......Is it safe to eat a fish that has multiple rusty hooks on it inside & out allready before you caught it?

from pjsabella wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

why is a banana bad luck on a fishing boat?

from MWK_MN wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Is it possible to autopsy a fish and determine if it was aquarium raised or developed in a natural environment, possibly by a method similar to how biologists determine if a mountain lion was a person's pet or a wild animal?

from grantorrin wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

I've heard a few different recommendations for spooling new line on my reel, but usually end up with twists. What's the best method for spooling line?

from grantorrin wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

I've tried filleting pickerel and muskies with limited success. Is there a technique that gets most of the meat, while avoiding those pesky "Y" bones?

from grantorrin wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

My family has a bad habit of shutting pole tips in truck doors. What's the best way to repair a broken rod tip so that it doesn't lose too much of its strength and flexibility?

from grantorrin wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from huntinnut wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Every year I tell myself that I'm going to catch a fish this ice fishing season by jigging with an Acme Kastmaster or a Swedish Pimple. But never do. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a right or wrong way to use these lures?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

How do fish see their underwater world ?

from Johnnie wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

What are the differences, advantages and disadvantages of using the following fishing lines: Monofilament Fishing Line,
Braided Fishing Line, Fused Fishing Line, Fluorocarbon Fishing Line?

from Johnnie wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

What is the difference between Monofilament Fishing Line and Fluorocarbon Fishing Line?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

How was the drag system we all know today first invented?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Why is it that when you hit a double perch fishing 50% of the time the size better the fish are so different which raises the question which perch hits first ?

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

what is the best way we can get our youth involved in fishing sports!

from andersonjk4 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Last summer while largemouth bass fishing I spotted a good sized Tiger Muskie swimming along with a huge bass in its mouth. The bass appeared to be just as big or bigger around than the Muskie. Can Muskie (or Pike) swallow a fish that is that big? If they can't, are they able to tear up the fish into managable pieces? Or could the Muskie just have killed the bass for other reasons than to eat it?

from brockdavis13 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Is it legal to raise fish in a home aquarium?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Is it true that when its raining it is the best time to be fishing?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Is the lake water ever to rough that the fish just arent active and wont bite?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

If its true fish cant feel pain why is that when they have a whole arsenal of senses they use?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

If asian Carp make it in the great lakes what would happen to those lakes?

from the decoy hunter wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

You are only allowed ten lures in you tackle box for the entire fishing season---if you lose one you can replace it--but you have to exist with with only ten options.What would they be?

from hunter6 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

If i were lost for a few day's in the wild, with not much to my diposal, but the land and fresh water. What would be the best way to catch a fish ?

from hunter6 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

During early fall it seem's to be farily easy to catch big walleye's. But then come's summer and thing's seem to be tuffer.When is a good time catch walleye in the dog day's of summer. And what type of lure would be recommended, and what time of day.My location is eastern iowa.

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Why is it that you can find so many different types of pan fish in one area in early spring, Do they move around in mixed social groups in the colder months?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

If asian Crap make it in the great lakes what would happen to those lakes?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Is it really true that the old myth about wearing out a fish isnt true, That you cant really wear them out. If so how do you end up winning the contest between Man and Fish?

from Johnnie wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from Johnnie wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Braided Fishing Line, Fused Fishing Line, Fluorocarbon Fishing Line?

from Runningfawn3 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

What is the correct way to remove a hook out of a fish without injuring it?

from Runningfawn3 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

How far do you put an indicator above a fly when fly fishing?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

If asian Crap make it in the great lakes what would happen to those lakes?

from hunter6 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from hunter6 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from the decoy hunter wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

If asian Carp make it in the great lakes what would happen to those lakes?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Is the lake water ever to rough that the fish just arent active and wont bite?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Is it true that when its raining it is the best time to be fishing?

from brockdavis13 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Is it legal to raise fish in a home aquarium?

from andersonjk4 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

what is the best way we can get our youth involved in fishing sports!

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

How was the drag system we all know today first invented?

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

How do fish see their underwater world ?

from huntinnut wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from grantorrin wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from grantorrin wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from grantorrin wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from grantorrin wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from MWK_MN wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from pjsabella wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

why is a banana bad luck on a fishing boat?

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from BeardogRed wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from BeardogRed wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Any OL videos ???

Just watched a good skeet lesson from a pro from y'all!
Maybe if I win I can catch something....

I am a fishin and huntin fool!

from MWK_MN wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from MWK_MN wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from ben2009 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Bubba wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

If you could fish with ONLY ONE kind of lure, what would it be?

from shazamn wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from crazymike wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from crazymike wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from grantorrin wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from blackhawk 10x wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

let me know before too much more frustration sits in.
thanks

from Jerod Henderson wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

How do if at all do moon phases effect fish activity ?

from amywarren wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago