Outdoor Life's 2014 National Whitetail Survey

CC image from Wikipedia

Even while America's whitetail population is at its highest, there are critical issues facing the country's deer and deer hunters. Disease, winter kill, predation, and poor land management all have the potential to flip your next deer season on its head. But before we can tackle the problems at hand, we need to figure out which issues are most important to us, America's deer hunters. That's why we've put together our first national deer survey.

But this form isn't just a way to gauge deer hunter opinion. Our Editor Andrew McKean will take the results to the Quality Deer Management Associations first-ever Whitetail Summit next month and share the data with the world's foremost deer experts. Those experts will take the information back to their home states and use it to inform whitetail management decisions. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for the survey results and news from the QDMA summit.

Most importantly, take our survey and share it with your buddies. It's time for the voice of America's deer hunters to be heard.

Outdoor Life's National Deer Survey

from Josey wrote 20 weeks 4 days ago

Had a couple suggestions for editing the survey.

Question 8: Should have the option "Invest no time."

Question 11: Should have the option "It's good because it can allow carcasses to remain where the animal was taken, which may reduce the spread of CWD."

May want to add another question to supplement Question 13. Perhaps, "Considering hunting experiences over the last 10 years....how has the deer population changed." In my area 10 years ago we were overrun with deer, but now the population is managed better.

from DSMbirddog wrote 21 weeks 10 hours ago

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. I tried to post this as a question but everything I do results in having to complete a CAPCHA and my question wouldn't post..

from mytwo cents wrote 21 weeks 14 hours ago

Denial is a powerful thing. The herd in Indiana has been in collapse because of poor management and constant articles by newspapers and the DNR proclaiming there are too many deer. I have not shot a doe since the late 1990's. I've watched the population go down year after year. I've watched many hunters feel there are plenty if they still manage to shoot something. Few seem to realize a Doe left in the field is the future of deer hunting. She is the one that carries future trophy deer. Shoot too many of her, and deer hunting in the future is lost. You can have the best food plot on the planet, with the best habitat alongside it and if the State keeps saying to kill Doe, you may not have any deer on your land left to enjoy the managed habitat, simply because deer do not know property lines and there are too many hunters that think deer are an endless resource.

from 4everAutumn wrote 21 weeks 1 day ago

I'm from central Iowa like you, DSMbirddog. I will continue to buy hunting licenses and hunt, because I guess I don't necessarily have to kill a deer to feel successful. I understand the purchase of a tag allows me the opportunity to hunt, but doesn't come with a guarantee that I will kill a deer. That being said, it is nice to think that I will have a chance to see deer. There are some places in Iowa that there are still plenty, but in other places, the deer are in serious trouble. I think this problem is compounded by hunters who seem to have the need to buy twenty tags and don't feel complete unless they fill them all. They complain about the lack of deer they saw as they stand in front of their truck full of small bucks, does and yearlings. The legislature controls how many tags are offered every year, yet we hunters control how they are purchased and used.

from huntfishtrap wrote 21 weeks 1 day ago

As you know DSM, I live in Iowa too, and I can't see the lower deer numbers and poorer success rates affecting my hunting decisions, unless they keep going down. We still have some of the best deer hunting in the nation here, IMO, and I'll still be out there at every opportunity, even if the hunting is a little tougher.
And I honestly haven't seen the big drops in deer numbers here in the northeast part of the state that have been reported elsewhere, and I hunt mostly on public land. They are down some from their peak 8-10 years ago, but I wouldn't say they're too low. The number of mature bucks did seem to be down last year, not sure what to attribute that to - EHD, hunter harvest, bad luck, or something else.

from DSMbirddog wrote 21 weeks 1 day ago

Here is something that might interest you. The IOWA DNR reports that the deer harvest number has gone down all of the last eight years. License numbers were also down in 2013. So the question is how does that decreasing harvest and success rate impact those considering buying a deer license? It has to be a factor but would like to hear what some of you think.

from DSMbirddog wrote 21 weeks 1 day ago

from huntfishtrap wrote 21 weeks 1 day ago

from 4everAutumn wrote 21 weeks 1 day ago

from mytwo cents wrote 21 weeks 14 hours ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 21 weeks 10 hours ago

from Josey wrote 20 weeks 4 days ago

Had a couple suggestions for editing the survey.

Question 8: Should have the option "Invest no time."