New Pennsylvania Record Buck

March 24, 2008
New Pennsylvania Record Buck - 6

Bbzbig  It’s official! The Keystone State’s new No. 1 non-typical bow-hunting record belongs to Gerald Simkonis whose 36-pointer received an official score of 208 1/8 inches. It easily surpasses the former bow record set 20 years ago by Allentown hunter Craig Krisher.

Simkonis, of South Strabane in Allegheny County, was hunting private land in Wildlife Management Unit 2B when he arrowed the buck. Is this guy hard-core or what? The 53-year-old Simkonis began his bowhunting career when he was just 12 and lived in Luzerne County. He moved to Allegheny County six years ago to accept a job as a contractor at the U.S. Department of Energy’s tech lab in Pittsburgh. Dscf1505_3

“One of the reasons I took the job is that Allegheny County has so many entrants in the record book,” Simkonis says. “There’s still a lot of farms out here and if you pitch in and help them bale hay, they’ll let you hunt.”

Simkonis had been hunting the giant buck for three years—without ever having laid eyes on him!

Dscf1512_3“The landowner told me that there was a nice deer on the property and it looked like it had 18 points,” Simkonis says. “I got interested in that, but he’d only see him like one night each year, right around the breeding period.”

Last fall, was time to push the issue. When the rut kicked in, the hunter hung a stand—right in the middle of a poison oak thicket! He paid for it with a rash on his arms and legs, but on the morning of November 2 his hunch paid off. The giant weighed 181 pounds. Great hunt, Gerald!

—Gerry Bethge

from Jon R wrote 6 years 3 weeks ago

Dito for Adam's comment--poison oak/ivy gets me something awful. Since I hike in over a mile and half to get to my stands and usually I'm sweating like a pig, one year I decided to hike in with some other clothes and my hunting clothes in a plastic bag. Changed right by the tree. Did NOT see a deer that day but, oh, boy--did I have poison ivy all over the next day. Now I just hope to play the wind right and stay in my stand, hopefully, above the scent line. Gerald--I am most impressed with your ability to pull off a great deer in the poison ivy/oak stuff!

from big buckmaster wrote 6 years 3 weeks ago

u suck at life i shot this buck and u took it. u basterd. just playin good kill man good kill

from Michael wrote 6 years 3 weeks ago

Wow - great buck! I didn't know there were still places in this country where you could help out a farmer with some farm chores and be allowed to hunt on their property. That's pretty rare these days.

from urbanbowhunter wrote 6 years 3 weeks ago

This deer was well known in the area, definitely difficult to hunt because he spent a lot of time in neighborhoods and a public golf course. I have a very good friend that has pictures of this deer alive and the funny thing is, that another friend and I had permission to hunt a piece of private land that this buck also used, but he also owns 400 acres in greene county that we plant 15 acres of food plots on and with the EHD killing so many deer we tried to get permission to hunt a lot of other places and totally forgot about that piece of property. Good news though, there are two other giants that roam the same area and one is a nontypical the resembles this buck, so I bet you can guess where I will be putting my cuddie back in july. Allegheny county also has another thing besides EHD killing deer, they are called the USDA, look up mt, lebanon township and you will see they are paying big money to the government to kill deer because they are scared of them. This was a hot spot but they killed many big bucks, I know cause it was one of my secret spots. Thanks yuppies, I guess your tulips are more important.

from john foreman wrote 6 years 3 weeks ago

stop on over to pa-outdoors.com

from Jim Solomon Sr. wrote 6 years 2 weeks ago

Yeah the record is nice for the mantle and pride and all, but what do you get for keepin your arrow on the rest, and not fruitin in your looms! Wow!Nice shot archer, and hats off.

from Jim Solomon Sr. wrote 6 years 2 weeks ago