Hunters Helping Farmers

June 19, 2009
Hunters Helping Farmers - 42

Recently, Eli Brown, a diehard BBZ fan and deer hunter from the Hoosier State sent me a very interesting email about a new hunting program that is being introduced by Indiana’s DNR. The “Hunters Helping Farmers” initiative matches farmers who want fewer deer on their land with hunters who need a place to hunt.

This new online tool has been developed by the DNR to create more hunting opportunities for hunters and help farmers who are dealing with serious crop devastation. Deer hunters must simply submit an online application between July 1 and August 30 of this year. In addition, hunters can submit at least two preferred counties they would like to hunt during the fall season. Next, farmers from those areas can select and interview possible applicants they would like to have hunting their property (hunters must still follow all state bag limits and regulations).

Consequently, some resident hunters are expressing concern regarding the new program. Basically, they are worried about the overall impact it will have on statewide harvest numbers. On the other hand, many hunters are fired-up and excited about gaining access to prime deer hunting lands that previously were not available. A lot of farmers and landowners that have suffered major crop losses also welcome the program with open arms. With that being said, I would like some feedback on what you think about the “Hunters Helping Farmers” plan. Will this program be good for deer management in the long run and would you support a similar plan in your state?

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

BRBB,
Thanks for the info. Not a lot of ag land left down here in the south part of the state, but I'll check around.

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Seadog,
FL. does have a program close to it,you'll have to get to know your local farmers,if there is any and see if they apply for deer tags.Some in this area do,some don't.We usually get 9 to 12 a year.The next farm over from us gets about the same.But they are farms close by that don't and they are starting to have real problems with deer,coyotes and turkeys.Which is good for us cause alot of the wildlife roams from farm to farm.Seen two pieball deer this afternoon along a creek bottom and I believe there the same ones a bud of mine seen last year about six miles south of hear.So I know the deer in this area travel alot.
Later,
BRBB

Seadog,

I am really glad you liked the article and all of the good discussions we've had on the topic. I hunt mostly public-land and I also wish my state had this program. I am looking forward to more discussions.

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

These are some great comments on self reliance & hunter/warriors. Congrats Travis on spurring such spirited discussion. Back to the original topic, (remember Travis' article that started this?), I wish they had a program like this in Florida. I mostly hunt public land. Now that Florida quota permits are no longer transferrable, I'll be looking for some new places to hunt.

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Agree totally and whole heartly with the above comments.The libs.are afraid of us due to are self reliance,the first and second admendments have been under attack for some years now,due to the fact we speak truths and the libs.go on false statements and surveys.Where else in the world does a person get spanked for speaking there minds(socialist countrys)where else does the actions of one ruin it for everyone(communist countrys)wake up america,how close to those type of sociaties are we?America has become the land of the offended not the free!
It's past time for the working class,law abiding citizens to stand up for there RIGHTS.

from Bo wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Travis, There is a reason the libs are threatened by those of us who believe we are the ones best able to take care of ourselves and make the decisions for ourselves. When we show we can provide for our own needs, it means the government, in their minds loses power. They believe the government should be the provider for everything.
For those that question this, you have only to look at the government takeover of the banking industry, auto industry and their attempted hijacking of the health care system. The Obamanation swore he was too busy to mangae those things and promptly began to manage them. This is TRUE EVIL. It creates complete dependence on a government that can only become totalitarian in order to survive. That is how it has played out in the history of man, WITHOUT FAIL.
When those of us with an independent streak, such as our forefathers had(and made this country great because of their independence) show it can be done without the government, they are threatened, because we don't need them.
Citizens with guns do not need the government to protect themselves when the bad guys come to rob, rape and pillage. Citizens with guns can repel the government when the government come to take their right away. (According to the Declaration of Independence, which the libs don't want kids in school to read, it is our sacred obligation to revolt when the governing authorities abuse their power.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
They know they cannot stand before a rational discussion, hence they will seek to remove our rights to speak up (the First Amendment is under assault with the Hate Crimes law, they can declare disagreement Hate Speech and punishable.)our right to defend ourselves (We all know the attacks on the Second Amendment) and most of the Bill of Rights is under assault. They would do away with our Constitution if they could,(Abd they are, just most people are willing to give up their rights to be secure and cared for by the government).
The libs fear us, our guns and our God. And with good reason.

Dropjhook,

Excellent points! It was also hunters with warrior spirits that setteled this country back before Interstate Highways, rest stops, fast food, and air conditioned motorized vehicles. Daniel Boone opened up the gateway to the west through Cumberland Gap, which is about 20 minutes from where I live in KY. Look at what the rugged mountain men accomplished in the heart of America's wildest country. You can't forget about the feats of the Lewis and Clark Expedition or the impact the Corps of Discovery had on Manifest Destiny and Americans moving west along the numerous wagon trails. Without diehard hunters, this country would not be what it is today period. For that matter, early man would not have survived either! Hunting is in the blood and soul of every human being. Some of us have just been blinded by the light of the modern world and sadly forgotten our roots.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Ok look at human kinds history for a second. You would probly agree that hunters/warriors where the ones who where most respected & most honerd people in or starting civilizations. That went on from the start of man kind to about the 1900's thats when the change happend for us as americans. Hunters/warriors started lossing there power to court systems and hollywood. Hows that you wonder we lost all respect because america inforced its court system more & hollywood can tell a better storie then the local hunter. Food started to be more easier to get for america less hunters because of that fact. Ok in a civ. when one group takes power from another group what domanated civ. for most of history what happens right they try to take all the power and honor by somehow taking away what they do so there will be no chance of them gaining there respect & honor. This is going on in the court systems & most of hollywood today. In hollywood they portray the hunter as some backwoods hillbilly but in all reality I dont see no backwoods hillbillys hunting I see proud hunters/warriors out there feeding there famlies the same type of hutners/warriors who kept human kind alive the kind that defended there people and most of all there famliy & our freedom. So this gos out to all you soft americans who lost realitiy to suit wearing & slick talking non hunters/warriors some part someone down your blood line they was a hunter slash warrior at one time to keep your blood line alive.This gos out to america.. who broke america suit wearing slick talkers who kept human kind going for millions of years & can keep us going if you come back to reality and put us back in power hunters slash warriors.

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Charlie,
Might have to try that,who knows,maybe with my familys southern charm,we'll be able to convert them.In this neck of the woods they really don't have to much of a choice.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

BRBB before those new neighbors see your dead animals invite them over for dinner and serve up some undisclosed wild game. Later when when they complain about your meat processing tell them "its whats for dinner."

Speaking of dinners that White House Thanksgiving feast makes my mouth water, hoping for an invite...

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Travis, that's a great platform. Amen to all of it.

Seadog,

You could be in my administration anytime. There is no doubt I would surround myself with hunters and people who appreciate the outdoors.

First, let's promote family values through hunting and the outdoors. Secondly, we need to get rid of outsourcing period. U.S. companies that shutdown factories in America and go overseas will have to pay high tariffs and taxes that will eliminate any profit margins gained by laying off American workers for cheaper labor. We'll put more people to work here rebuilding our infrastructure for once instead of some country in the Middle East.

Lastly, let's do away with bailouts and drop the greedy CEO's that have ran their companies into the ground off in Iraq for a little wakeup call. The big oil companies will have to lower gas prices with their record high profit margins (which has destroyed our economy) and we'll clean up the environment. We'll call it "Hunters Helping Save Our Country."

Dirty,

It's good to hear from you man! I am glad you brought that up. Everyone on the BBZ needs to know about an email scam that caused me major problems yesterday. My provider is MSN and an email was sent to update my account. The MSN logo was in the email and it simply asked for my domain name to verify the account was still active. MSN does send updates every few weeks so this email didn't cause any concern. The next thing I know everyone I had ever emailed was calling me on my cell phone. The hacker was using my name and email account to ask for money. The Hacker said that he was in England and had misplaced his wallet. "Travis" needed money sent to England ASAP.

Anyone who knows me knew that something was up. First of all, I would never ask my friends for money. Secondly, I would never waste my vacation days in England. I've never heard about any big whitetails or turkeys being tagged across the pond. Luckily, I was able to change my MSN password and turn in the hacker's email address and the mailing address they wanted the 2,000 dollars sent. This incident has almost made me want to track down and hunt Hackers this fall instead of bucks! Be careful on the web.

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Travis,
You've got my vote. Hope you'll consider me for a cabinet position. NO PARDON would be a good campaign slogan--and it fits on a bumper sticker.

from Dirty wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

I second that notion!
p.s. TF, when you gonna send me my $2,200 back????
Dirty

Bullridingbamaboy and Seadog:

That sounds like one heck of a White House Thanksgiving! BRBB - maybe your neighbors will turn over a new leaf and start hunting. Heck, they might even learn how to field dress a buck or fillet some turkey breast meat. Good luck with that and thanks for the comments. As President, we would have to make at least a week during the November deer season a national holiday. No school for kids and hunters would have to be off from work too. In fact, we need to run on that platform. I guess we would also have to take a week off in the spring to drop the hammer on some loud mouth longbeards. What do you think?

Charilie Elk,

I call my turkeys into gun range and have a strict no pardon policy. Just think about how many prime places a hunting president could hunt while in office. Also, I bet terrorists would be a little more gun shy around a President that hunts his own food, skins deer and has zero tolerance for bull-crap. Thanks for the comments bother!

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Imagine Thanksgiving dinner at the White House if this bunch was runnin' things. I'll volunteer to bring gator nuggets for an appetizer--venison, wild turkey, & game meat from all over the Country! Maybe we could use one of those PETA approved fly catchers as a centerpiece just for laughs.

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Deer and Turkey mounts in the White House,"PRICELESS" Travis for president.Just had some tree huggers buy the 5 acres next to me,there in for a shock this upcoming hunting season when they look across the field and see a buck hanging on my cleaning rack.Then look the other way and see my paw-in-law hanging one of his hogs over the scalding pot.We'll have them ran off before they know it,then I'll buy that little piece of property and have it back in the family name.
Later,
BRBB

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Seadog,Bo,Bullridingbamaboy and ttfaulkner@msn.com,

Where do we send contributions to kick off your campaigns?

My dream is to someday have a President who DOES NOT pardon the Thanksgiving Day Turkey.

You guys might just....oh I don't know eat the turkey?

Seadog,Bo,and Bullridingbamaboy:

I wish guys like you would run for office. This country needs some straight talking country boys with common sense to straighten things out! I was watching the news the other day and PETA was coming down hard on the President for swatting a fly during an interview. They actually protested and sent him a PETA designed bug catcher that captures the fly without harming it. I just hope other countries don't think that all Americans have become that SOFT! It's amazing how people won't make a peep about crooked politicians, high gas prices, environmental destruction or the struggling economy.

However, a fly is killed on television and their ready to start a revolution. These people would have a heart-attack if I was President. I think a few deer heads hanging in the White House would really spruce things up and set the right tone in Washington! I know old Teddy Roosevelt would have appreciated it! Keep the comments coming.

Big Buck Joe,

It does seem there are less places to hunt with each passing season. In my neck of the woods, intense logging operations have transformed a lot of my honey-holes into thickets that a rabit rabbit couldn't get through! This program does sound like it has a lot of potential. I am excited to hear how it works out. Keep the comments coming.

from seadog wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I like Bo's description of how the PETA people get that way. I don't think they have a clue how much hunters do for wildlife, or how much we care. BRBB is exactly right about how they think of hunters--some extreme version of Elmer Fudd running around shooting anything that moves. I'd like to know how many PETA members actually live or work around animals--not counting the little purse dogs with hair ribbons & $100 haircuts. I better sign off before my blood pressure goes up.
Later guys.

from Bo wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Travis and BRBB, The extremists like the PETA people do not have their head in the sand. they are somewhere else breathing the methane produced and vented by that particular cavity in which their heads are inserted, which is why they sound like brain-damaged fools. Lack of oxygen produces brain damage. They have also accepted an ideology that they are the only ones who can "fix" the problem because only they understand and care as much as they do.
They also believe if the government can just limit the freedoms of the rest of us people, they can save us from ourselves. I don't want to be saved from myself, just from them.

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Travis,
Couldn't agree more!PETA and most animal rights extremist live in a wonder land imagination,they have this picture in there heads,that hunters run around the country side just shooting everything that moves,they don't look at the facts.They don't realize we as hunters do more good for the animals and enviroment than they ever have.
Later,
BRBB

from bigbuckjoe wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

TF: I wish KY would implement a program like this...it would help out a lot and keep people hunting. A recent poll was conducted and the #1 reason cited for quitting hunting was no place to hunt/cost of a lease. Hunting USED to be free. And I'm all for being a capitalist, but the simple fact is, is some people simply can't afford quality places to hunt.

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Seadog,

Amen brother! It just blows my mind sometimes about all of the wild and crazy agendas that are pushed in the mainstream media. I strongly feel everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some of these people need to checkout of fantasy land in a hurry. Keep the comments coming.

from seadog wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Travis,
I don't think the PETA types will ever come around--they're idealistic extremists--they believe in "animal rights" rather than human responsibility. But other anti-hunters that are more concerned with conservation may listen to the science. Keep preachin it--every anti-hunter that can be converted to someone who is merely a non-hunter is a victory for us.

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Ebrown,

I really appreciate your feedback and the info about your home state. Keep me posted on any news related to this program. I am looking forward to talking more with you on the BBZ.

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Bullridingbamaboy,

Great comments. Imagine the negative impact whitetail could have on farming without hunting. Organizations like PETA need to get their heads out of the sand and recognize all of the positive aspects of hunting in general. It's basic science! The herd is not going to manage itself and the modern world needs hunting more than ever now. I think state initiated programs like these are great. A lot of these ant-hunters choke on a greasy Big Mac several times a week and then gripe about how cruel hunting is to animals. They need to live in a world without hunting for a few years and see how peachy everything would be when deer herds multiply out of control!

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Hear in Florida,we have what I like to call Ag. tags,which allows farmers to harvest deer male or female.Your only alotted so many per year,per farm,depending on the size of your farm and the number of deer on the property.It works pretty well,it has for us down threw the years,but you have to be careful who you let hunt on your property and make sure they fill the tag given.Before we started using this system the deer population was starting to get out of control,but now there seems to be a healthy number of deer in are area,they still do minor damage to crops but not near the damage they did in the past.
Later,
BRBB

from ebrown wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Thanks for posting this article Travis. It certinaly sounds like a great program and I am anxious to see how it works out this year. Travis I am not exactly sure about the transfuring of the deprivation tags from the farmers to the hunters. In a perfect world if this program works out then we will have no need for the dep tags anymore. I think that is one of the main reasons that this program was developed, a few taking advantage of the permits. Thanks again. Talk to you later.

from Bryan wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I would say in states where farming is a persons career, that this is a great program. I don't see it hurting the overall population that much. Deer are smart and when they see something unfamiliar in a familiar setting, they will put it on stealth mode a probably go undetected. As for my state, either way is ok however I prefer to just throw out enough corn and such so that we'll both have a little.

from Big O wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Great idea giving "owner's" a chance to "interview" the hunter before hand. Hope this works out.

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

As a hunter and farmer,it sounds like Indiana is on the right track.I know personally what damage deer can do to crops.It's tough enough with the economy in such a bad state,the high price of fuel,fertilizer,seed and everything else.It doesn't take much to watch your profits go down the tubes.
Later,
BRBB

from Anthony wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Travis, this sounds like a win:win situation. I had no idea that a program like this existed. I believe that this will be a great project for deer management. Great Article.

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I've really enjoyed reading all the comments about this new topic. In my opinion, it's good anytime additonal land or new areas are opened up for hunting. It sounds like hunters, farmers and wildlife will benefit from the program. However, I would like to know if farmers are allowed to transfer state issued crop devastation tags to hunters on their property. I support balancing the herd, but I've seen some farms in the western part of my state that have changed drastically after too many deer were taken off of it. As long as common sense is used during the process, I still feel this program will be great for hunters and hunting in general. Keep the comments coming!

from Bo wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Sounds like a win-win proposition to me. Be nice if more states would adopt something like this.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I say this is the best thing to happen to hunting since scopes where mounted on guns!I know localy there is alot of ranchers who would love to have people help keep them big herds out there prime crop that feeds there famliy. Any program that opens more area to hunters is a big + for sure. We have something close to it localy the rancher just puts his name and # & location in a local newspaper that has a spot just for rancher with game problems. I think I want to start something like this on my web site so hunters and ranchers can exchange imfo. with eachother localy. Good Idea! Good Topic! Its a good day for hunters and land owners!!!

from Louie wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I think its great they just need to bring it one state over to ILLINOIS!! There are alot of farmers that dont let hunters on their ground because they don't like hunting or whatever crazy reason they have. But they are the ones hurting with the crop destruction....

from Mike wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Sounds like a great way to go. Hope they expand it to turkey and varmints. Turkey can be more destructive than the deer.

Are upset hunters just feeling encroached upon?

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

There are too many deer on the land, serious crop damage and some hunters are concerned about the harvest? What concerns them? Sounds like an opportunity to me.
Sounds like a great program to me and I would support this in my state.
It should improve deer management by giving hunters a chance to harvest the deer where they are over populated rather than over harvesting on public land.

from Mike wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Are upset hunters just feeling encroached upon?

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from Bo wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Later guys.

Seadog,Bo,and Bullridingbamaboy:

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Seadog,Bo,Bullridingbamaboy and ttfaulkner@msn.com,

Where do we send contributions to kick off your campaigns?

You guys might just....oh I don't know eat the turkey?

Charilie Elk,

Bullridingbamaboy and Seadog:

Dirty,

Seadog,

from Bo wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

The libs fear us, our guns and our God. And with good reason.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Sounds like a great program to me and I would support this in my state.

from Louie wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Later,
BRBB

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from Dirty wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

I second that notion!
p.s. TF, when you gonna send me my $2,200 back????
Dirty

Seadog,
Later,
BRBB

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

BRBB,

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Travis, that's a great platform. Amen to all of it.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago