The Birthday Buck

January 31, 2011
The Birthday Buck - 11

For most of us, that very first rifle or a new set of shiny wheels probably ranks at the top of our best birthday ever list. During my younger years, shouldering a new Remington 700 deer rifle and gripping the steering wheel of my first 4-wheel drive truck were two birthday memories that have never left this country boy.

However, a BBZ fan named Andrew Cooper recently sent me an email containing some phenomenal pictures of his last birthday present and he might have all of us beat.

In fact, I think every diehard whitetail addict would agree that a heavy-racked 14-pointer with approximately 200 inches of bone would be the ultimate birthday present. Here’s how Andrew Cooper tagged and bagged a buck of a lifetime shortly after blowing out his birthday candles.

For whatever reason, Cooper had a good feeling on his 20th birthday and something in his gut told him that he needed to hunt one of his favorite old stands. The Ohio shotgun season kicked off on November 29th and there was no doubting where this hunter would be sitting on opening day.

Over the years, Cooper and his friends had primarily utilized this particular stand to fill the freezer with doe meat. With the rut heating up, this particular area would definitely be a prime location to intercept a lovesick buck that was looking for some action. Around 8:30 a.m., Cooper realized his gut feeling was right, because an absolute monster with heavy mass and a swollen neck strolled to within 40 yards of his stand.

Without hesitation, the birthday boy quickly shouldered his shotgun and squeezed the trigger. A ground-shaking THUD from the echoing blast broke the early morning silence and left the rut-crazed bruiser dead in his tracks. Cooper could not believe how much mass this impressive buck’s rack carried. In addition, he was even more impressed by the deer’s extra-thick neck and hefty bodyweight.

Undoubtedly, this Ohio hunter had received the best birthday present that any deer hunter could ever wish for. Unfortunately, my birthday falls in March, which knocks me out of closing the deal on a dream buck. However, I wouldn’t mind hitting the woods with Cooper on his birthday next season.

from Louie wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Travis,
I have yet to find a shed yet, we just got slammed with a bunch of ice, snow, and very cold weather, after this clears im sure the bucks will drop im gonna hit it hard. How about you?

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Andrew,

No problem. Be sure to let us know what that beast will score.

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from acooper wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I really appreciate them. I know that I was very lucky to harvest such a magnificent buck. A friend of mine is taking my bucks rack to the Harrisburg, PA outdoor show to be officially scored, so I should have an exact number by sometime next week. I'll post the score when I get it. Once again, a big thank you to Mr. Faulkner for writing this article.

Andrew Cooper

from Hop wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Wow, what I wouldn't give for a birthday present like that! Very impressive and what a great present. Guess following those his gut paid off! Congratulations on an awesome deer!

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

David H,

I agree with you about Cooper's buck. Also, I wouldn't mind running into one like that next fall. By the way, how did your season go last year?

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Louie,

I've got a feeling that next October you will close the deal on a giant in your neck of the woods. That is my birthday wish to you and hopefully it will come true. Have you found any sheds yet?

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

6phunter,

I loved reading your post. However, I am afraid that everything you described has already happened to me. Deer hunting has become a year round passion for me and my family. We still turkey hunt and bass fish hard, but nothing gets us going more than those giant racked bucks! My name is Travis Faulkner and I am a whitetail addict!

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from Anthony wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

This is definitely my kind of birthday present. Congrats Andrew on the phenomenal buck. I bet this is one birthday present you will never forget! Great Article.

from 6phunter wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Andy what have you done? Surley you must know that in the years to come the fever this buck has caused will have long lasting effects ,such as sick days when you should be at work,missed apointments and engagements possibly the lack of a more meaningful type of engagement'''loss of sleep before the season opener.countless dollars spent in pursuit of big bucks, new 4x4 ,rifles. bows . treestands . out of state hunts , the list is endless . AND there is no known cure for such a maladay. CONGRATS on a GREAT BUCK and many early sunrises to come .

from Louie wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

What a freakin giant! So much mass, height, and width, all in one rack, that makes a perfect deer, and on your birthday way to go andrew. My birthday is oct 11 and haven't closed the deal yet on that date, hopefully i will in the years to come, congratulations.

from Catpool9 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Wow! Andrew all I can say is that taking an animal of that magnificence only comes around once in a Lifetime!, it sure is a beautiful whitetail! I live in Arkansas and they just do not grow um like that around here, the horn masss and body weight is awesome!

David H.

Louie,

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Andrew,

No problem. Be sure to let us know what that beast will score.

Travis Faulkner