December Velvet Buck

January 07, 2011
December Velvet Buck - 6

Seeing a buck in full velvet is not at all uncommon in September, but bagging one in December is enough to make anyone take notice at the local sporting goods store. This story reportedly took place this past season near Ft. Scott, Kansas. Hunter Sean Lucas is the lucky hunter who bagged not only a unique trophy, but a trophy indeed. The buck sported 19 total points with gnarly bases sprouting non-typical points like a well watered garden sprouts carrots.

Although velvet whitetail bucks are not unheard of after the typical velvet shedding season, it seems more common to see muleys in velvet in the same period. That comes from my own observations, but each year I glimpse several muleys in velvet well after they should have shed the soft covering. On the other hand, I can probably count the times I’ve seen velvet whitetails in my lifetime using both hands.

Most deer experts believe bucks that carry their velvet beyond the typical timeframe have been castrated after the rack has grown. Oftentimes the buck neither sheds the velvet nor the antler itself, and they slowly break down over time. Natural accidents in nature may cause the castration, but regardless it creates some funky-looking bucks each season. Testicular birth defects can also cause crazy antlers including the famous cactus bucks shot each year in the whitetail and mule deer world.

Nevertheless, this Kansas buck is one few of us would turn down. Congratulations go out to Lucas.

from slucas wrote 5 days 3 hours ago

The author (Mr. Kayser) of this piece used the pictures and limited information from an email I originally sent to a couple buddies. I didn't know this existed until about a year later. I would have been more than happy to talk to Mr. Kayser, all he had to do was scroll down to the original email. Not a fan of Kayser or his lack of professionalism.

Sean Lucas

from antlercrazy wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Catpool9- I have heard the same thing about antlered does not shedding there antlers. The thing is that I shot an antlered doe last fall that still had velvet and last year in the spring I found a shed antler from it.

from Catpool9 wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Speaking of the unusual, I read in the same article of why bucks may have velvet in late season that if you see a doe with horns that she will never drop them, keeps 'um year round!

David H.

from Catpool9 wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

That's a fine looking buck, velvet mounts sure look nice! I remember reading an article one time about what you just said, the causes of a male deer to keep his velvet and not drop his horns, maybe this buck had an accident!

David H.

from pineywoods wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Saw doe with a spotted fawn last week here in SW AL.

from 6phunter wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

MR.LUCAS, In My opinion this buck shows as much character as any I've ever seen. I think his brow points look like bez on caribou.Split main on the left with a more typical right beam only adds to the other specialities this buck carried.

from 6phunter wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from pineywoods wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Saw doe with a spotted fawn last week here in SW AL.

from Catpool9 wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago