Possible New Kansas State Record

January 26, 2011
Possible New Kansas State Record - 11

Anyone who has ever climbed into a treestand during a cool November morning knows that the state of Kansas is the home of giants. On a consistent basis, hunters tag mammoth whitetail bucks with heavy bases and extra-long tines that seem to touch the sky.

Just ask lifelong hunter Scott Branton what he thinks about the quality of hunting that is available inside of this remarkable state. Recently, Branton made the long trip up to Kansas from Mississippi just to have the opportunity to encounter that buck of a lifetime that we all dream about. To his surprise, that is exactly what he would come face to face with during the first morning of the Kansas muzzleloading season.

As luck would have it, Branton’s wife Dawn is really good friends with Perry Ross who owns and operates Ross Trophy Outfitters (www.rosstrophyoutfiiters.com). She decided to contact Ross and setup a deer hunting trip for her husband in the big buck country of Kansas. Dawn wanted to sit with her husband so Ross placed the couple inside of a strategically positioned shooting house that overlooked a major travel corridor. With this setup, Branton would be directly between a food source and buck bedding area.

Ross was hoping his friend’s husband would be able to connect with a high-racked 10-pointer that had frequently been seen in the area. This buck was amazing and would probably score well over 190, which would be a trophy for any hunter.

During the first morning of the hunt, Ross received a call from his friend Dawn around 7:30 a.m. and she seemed very excited. Immediately, Ross wanted to know if Scott had taken the giant 10-pointer. Ironically, the outfitter was a little let down when he heard the news that the high-racked 5x5 was still alive and well. However, Ross was completely blown away when he walked up on the buck that Scott Branton had actually shot instead. Over the years, Ross has wrapped his hands around some phenomenal whitetail racks as both a hunter and professional outfitter, but he could clearly see this deer was definitely in a league of its own.

Branton’s giant was carrying 14-points and unbelievable mass. The buck’s rack was heavy and thick from the bases all the way to the tips of each remarkable tine. With a net green score of 207, Ross feels this deer could possibly be a new Kansas State Record. On a side note, I think my wife needs to talk to Dawn about possible gift ideas. Hopefully, Dawn will give her Perry’s phone number and set me up with a Kansas hunt next fall.

from Catpool9 wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

Scott, will you be going back to Kansas to hunt whitetail?...hehe, congrats on great buck!

David H.

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

M.R. Byrd,

I was hunting along the Arkansas River, which provided about the only cover that was in the area. It was hard to get used to at first, because I am from the hardwoods mountain country of eastern Kentucky. The terrain is the opposite in Dodge from what I am used to hunting back home.

However, the deer hunting during the rut was nothing short of amazing. AWESOME PLACE! I would like to stop by next time I am up that way. Good luck next season and be sure to keep us posted on the BBZ about any deer hunting stories you come across.

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from M. R. Byrd wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

Travis,

You got you a fine Kansas deer. You noticed I said, my neck of the prairie. Where you got your deer does have some trees, but many times in this area we call them 'landmarks'. Reminds me that information being put out on the internet a few years ago to people inquiring about moving to Dodge, was the 'forested rolling hills' of the area. Not quite the way I would describe Dodge, as you well know.

My sons and I hope to put some big Kansas deer, both whitetail and mule deer on our walls in the years to come.

I expect you to stop by and tell me 'howdy' next time you are this way.

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

Maynard Byrd,

Thanks for your post on the BBZ and I am glad you liked the article. This particular KS buck is carrying some serious mass. By the way, I've actually hunted your neck of the woods too. In fact, the picture that appears with my post is of the giant I tagged there a few years ago with Perry Ross.

My hunt was during the second week of November and the rut was really in full swing. The action can be explosive in KS and I can't wait to get back some day.

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from M. R. Byrd wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

Forgot to mention, food plots really wouldn't concentrate the deer in that area because of the huge acreage of irrigated wheat. I could take you there about any evening in January and February and show you 150 to 250 deer in less than fifteen minutes. Too many doe, as there are at my place. All the doe mean lots of eyes watching and the big bucks take full advantage of that.

Scott, congratulations on an exceptional hunt and buck!

Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

from M. R. Byrd wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

This deer came from my neck of the prairie and I have been waiting to see it. I heard about it during muzzleloader season, but this is the first picture of it I have seen.

Thanks Travis.

Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

from kansasfan88 wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

GREAT BUCK!! Congrats!!

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Quick,

This buck was taken during the September muzzle-loading season in Kansas. It was a fair chase hunt just outside Dodge City - no fences or food plots. Scott Branton was hunting with Perry Ross of Ross Trophy Outfitters (www.rosstrophyoutfitters.net) I will check on the exact measurements, score, and inside spread. This info will be posted on the BBZ ASAP.

Thanks for your comments and congrats on your buck. It sounds like you also tagged a bruiser. I would love to see a picture of it sometime and possibly write an article for the BBZ over the hunt. Email me at ttfaulkner@msn.com.

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from QUICK wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

ok kansas is a very big place all you hear is kansas this and kansas that but what you dont hear is WHERE IN KANSAS ??? so anyhow my question is where in cansas are you hunting that your allowed to use a fire arm in november? is this another high fenced taken dear and whats the totale score of this dear i mean he is a nice dear by no means? but am woundering what the inside spread is and with his deductions what did he truly score? you can email me back at tonkaton22@aim.com ifen you would i would like to know his true score and where in kansas your hunting cause i live in kansas and we dont have a fire arms season in november round here sept for muzzle loader and thats in september and december ...i shot a monster this year 22 3/4 inside spread rough scored 187 5/16 he is a main fraim 10 with a split G1 on his left giving him 11 with a bunch of trash and stickers on both main beams and and with his deductions and such he was cut back to 167 3/4 and for a 1/2 year old buck he was a true giant for his age so i am just wondering how he trily measured up and where in kansas your hunting instead of mississippi? cause just as kansas ol miss is a very large place and i have several friend and buddys who live in abbivell and down on and around the delta and surrounding towns who kill monster deer every year...

from Bryan wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Man, that is a giant. That is a great gift idea Travis. I think I might start dropping some hints like that myself. It would be great to connect with a monster like that no matter where it takes place. Congrats Scott on a great buck. You better return the favor the next time something special or a holiday comes around.

from Anthony wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Congratulations Scott on an awesome buck! Great Article. Travis, I think my wife needs to talk to Dawn too!

from Bryan wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Quick,

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from M. R. Byrd wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

Thanks Travis.

Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

from M. R. Byrd wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

Scott, congratulations on an exceptional hunt and buck!

Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

Maynard Byrd,

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from M. R. Byrd wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

Travis,

I expect you to stop by and tell me 'howdy' next time you are this way.

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago