Black MZ: New Virtually Non-Corrosive Black Powder Substitute

September 28, 2011
Black MZ: New Virtually Non-Corrosive Black Powder Substitute - 3

Smokepole hunters: Alliant Powder just began shipping its new Black MZ™ Black Powder Substitute to stores around the nation. Black MZ is designed to be a clean-burning black powder substitute that will let you enjoy more shots between cleanings.

“Smokeless powder is usually referred to as ‘gunpowder,’” explains Dick Quesenberry, Alliant Powder’s Product Manager. “Black MZ is a black powder replacement or substitute that mimics black powder performance, but has no sulfur and is [therefore] much less corrosive.”
It was also made with very high moisture tolerance. Alliant testing found that Black MZ ignited consistently after 23 days of exposure to humidity and achieved high muzzle velocities, while four other name-brand propellants burned at noticeably lower velocities.

Quesenberry adds that Alliant developed Black MZ to serve not only hunters, but also cowboy-action shooters and reenactment enthusiasts who load their own black powder cartridges. Comes in 1-lb. canisters.

from Jonathan Koziol wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

This stuff is nothing more than repackaged American Pioneer Super Powder. When the MDM plant blew up, Alliant was forced to find a company to fill the bottled with powder.

This stuff is super bulky, sucks up moisture, still has a crud ring even with low power 209 primers and the velocity it produces is very inconsistent.

Blackhorn209 so far is the BEST black powder sub on the market if you have the correct breech plug to fire it.

from Tc505 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I am kinda new to black powder but I started digging around and found that you can make the stuff yourself and it requires no sulphur what so ever. just two ingredients being charcoal and salt peter which makes the same non-corrosive stuff. I tried 777 and it works ok with a lot less smoke than the regular and less fouling as well. will have to try this stuff though if run across it.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I guess when my Pyrodex is gone I will have to try this and Black Horn 209. Cleaner has got to be better.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago