Louisiana Hunter Takes 226-Inch Buck That Escaped From a Deer Enclosure

December 02, 2011
Louisiana Hunter Takes 226-Inch Buck That Escaped From a Deer Enclosure - 15

Jacey Broussard doesn't hunt behind a high fence, but over Thanksgiving weekend she shot a pen-raised deer. This 226-inch buck escaped from a deer enclosure, crossed a river and ended up a mile and a half away on Broussard's father-in-law's 480-acre hunting property.

The buck started showing up on trail cameras and both Broussard and her father-in-law, Albert, zeroed in on him.

"He was my competitor," Jacey Broussard told the Louisiana Sportsman. "We both wanted to get this buck.

"Every moment that I wasn't at work or sleeping, I was in that stand trying to get (the buck)."

Eventually she saw the buck from her stand and at one point he got to within 10 yards, but Broussard never got a shot. Then on November 26 she packed a lunch and planned to stay out all day.

Finally the buck showed up and Broussard shot him at 15 yards with a 7mm Mag. While the buck has an incredible rack, he was only a 3 1/2 year old and weighed 160 pounds.

"I couldn't believe he was laying there," she said. "I was in shock. I was so excited."

from Joey Davis wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

I say the outfit that grew the deer should have made sure their investment was properly contained and couldn't possibly get out. congratulations to the hunter because after crossing a river, traveling a mile and living on its own and surviving for any period of time makes that deer wild enough for me.

from Chris Woodward wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

How is it not a good story the deer escaped and crossed a river total of a mile and a half

from Jack Keesler wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Beautiful Buck, Beautiful lady, Beautiful smile, couldn't ask for more.

from Roman Metcalf wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

good luck on the dear...but if you have 10-15 yard shots that you cant make, why the heck are you huntin with a 7 mag? sounds like 30-30 or 45-70 territory to me

from 1avidhunter wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

I agree with the fact that she put in her time and downed a great buck. I'm hoping that for more trophies down the road, that he spread his seed first! That would be the icing on the cake! I'd also bet that the breeding farm has done some fencing upgrades! lol Congratulations!

from James Duane Marchand wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

i hope the buck spred some new genes out there in that gene pool , that is if you want or need some non typical in the heard ! but i hope the guy who raised it is bangin his head against the wall for sure just for his bloodline getting out and spreading

from Cynthia Pearson... wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Awesome! Jacey, you were in the right place at the right time how fortunate for you to be able to harvest a buck like that!! Congratulations!!

from neubauer6 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Awesome story! I hope the rats that raised that deer are crying in their Cheerios!

from 6phunter wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

wtg JACEY,YOU have got to lay it on big bucks when you find them. looks like you did just that

from Catpool9 wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Great Lady, Great Hunt, Great Buck!, = Success
.WTG.!!!!!!
Hogs are considered feral after ( 7 ) seven days in the Wild, also it should be a pen raised deer!

David H.

from jjas wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

A 226 inch 3.5 year old....kinda makes you wonder what kind of "frankendeer" that place is raising and what is costs to "hunt" inside the fence and/or buy the sperm to "create" your own trophy deer...

I wonder how pi$$ed the owners are to have their "creation" killed for free.....lol...

from max klepper wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

I'd say congrats and the story is quite good. She put the time in and put the effort in to get the buck. So I'd say job well done!

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

I get the point stated above, but hey, it was an escapee. Give the young lady her due. It'd been out and free for a bit and she put the time in to close the deal. I'm sure we all know what can happen to your nerves when a big buck comes by. Keeping calm and taking that buck was an accomplishment.

from IND_NRA wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

We have become a hunting society fixated on inches of antlers. This is not a story for a hunting magizine. Farm raised deer given all sorts of enhancing products and bottle fed. Great deer, but not a great story.

from Outsider wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Incredible!!! Congrats!!

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from max klepper wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from Outsider wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Incredible!!! Congrats!!

from neubauer6 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

from Jack Keesler wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Beautiful Buck, Beautiful lady, Beautiful smile, couldn't ask for more.

from Joey Davis wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago