The Million-Dollar Deer?

December 05, 2011
The Million-Dollar Deer? - 19

In case you haven't seen him yet, here he is, the so-called million-dollar deer. Images of this buck started circulating the Internet last month with claims that the deer was worth $1 million.

The mutant-like whitetail is clearly a pen-raised breeder buck and he recently popped up on Trophy Watch, the Boone and Crockett Club's website.

What was the B&C's take? Here's what they wrote ...

"It begs the questions such as: what came first, megatron, super-deer or folks who would pay to shoot them; scientifically we have the know how, but why should we; is this buck domestic livestock, and if so is killing him still considered hunting; what does the 73 percent of those non-hunters who still support hunting think; and has the idea of trophy for some surpassed the satisfaction of the chase?

Whatever your answers are to these questions, or your feelings toward this growing trend of trophy at any cost, you will never see such animals listed in Boone and Crockett records."

For an in-depth look at this sort of deer breeding and farming, check out BBZ Blogger Craig Dougherty's piece: Freak Show Bucks: A Hard Look at Breeding For Antlers

from trudeau wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

ETHICS.
It is all a matter of ethics. Dose the deer have a chance?
If you hunt a deer in a fenced area is it ethical? How much land is fenced in 75 acers or 1000 acers. Do you know where the deer is? Or the same with out a fence. Do you know where the deer lives. Are you hunting it Ethicaly? It all depends.

For me if it is not natural it is ot hunting.
What do yall think?

from lavehargett wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

I have watched so many hunting shows on television that they make me sick. I don't believe in hunting pened raised animals or high fence hunting resorts. It's all about making money for the big rich people or for the rich people to pay the high dollar just to go out and shoot an animal. They have no idea how the true hunter and sportsman hunts.I believe it should be outlawed. Anybody can have a guide set up bait and tree stands for the rich people that has no idea what the true sportsman goes threw to harvest any wild animal.

from Erika Plum wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Tell me WHY... (why would you be proud of "hunting" something like this?) Is it to WIN or to PROVE I got the Biggist!!!? I grew up hunting. Most years we would hunt for Meat others we were able to hunt for horns (We try to eat more Venison & Elk Than we do Beef) I know in my heart that none of us would ever kill anything like this! To be totally honest if I ever saw anything like him in the woods I would RUN.... I am Glad Boone and Crockett are standing their ground.... The Elitist Group that hunt this kind of Farm Raised Game Animals and Those who raise them need to start their own Special reccord keeping..... MONEY CAN BUY YOU ANYTHING... EVEN BIG BUCKS... BUT IT CAN NOT BUY YOU THE PRIDE and THE FEELING YOU GET WHEN YOU KILL YOUR FIRST BUCK!(no matter how big his rack is!!!)

from 6phunter wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

i THINK BOONE and CROCKETT SHOULD KEEP THIER OPINIONS TO THEMSELVES AND JUST MEASURE THE DEER.

from Fischbil wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Sorry, but if you put this deer in a 10,000 acre brush filled pasture in South Texas, wether it has a high fenced or not, it is Fair Chase. You might raise the odds but it is still hunting and they are still deer. The odds are this deer will get to insiminate some does that will be released into a large high fenced pasture. Just like stocking a lake with Florida Largemouth Bass. The fish cannot leave the lake but You still have to catch them.

from Tom-Tom wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Scottiep07, you nailed it. While shooting pen raised big game animals is morally repugnant to many of us, Don't condemn those who raise them to satisfy a market. That Thanksgiving turkey is a miracle of genetic engineering, raised for Mrs. Housewife that wants more white meat on her turkey. Hogs and cattle are becoming more big business each year. As for small game animals such as quail, pheasant and chuckar you encounter at local preserves, they come mainly from pens. Back to large game, I would hope that what we see today is just a short-term fad and not the future of a sport we love.

from scottiep07 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

I think scott_30_27288 said it very well. An animal like this is very curious, however, even if I had the means, I would never contemplate paying for an excursion like this. I do not like or agree with the genetic manipulation of these animals nor the "hunting" however big or remote the property. Now, playing Devil's advocate, the people active in this industry are in essence doing no more or less than today's beef producers or the private buffalo ranches. There is a demand and they are capitalizing on it. I do not think it is right to judge them so harshly, when what they are doing is legal and parallels in other industries are so easily drawn without the same criticisms. I would not partake, nor do I think they have a place in any book, but I also think that people should maybe get off their soap box.

from Kammie Boyer wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

I have been hunting for 10 years and it sickens me to see animals pinned up and hunted. That to me is a disgrace to hunters who fight cold blowing in our facees. Rain pelting our backs and misses becouse of buck fever. Just to get that one deer in our freezers and on our walls with pride. I am proud of Boone and Crockett for their take on this outlandish hunting experence. I rather pay my fee of $75 dollars that I know is going to the Dept. of Wildlife instead of someones pocket.

from Joshua Winsor wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

im a hunter myself and thats no hunting its wrong and anyone that pay money yo go in closed in areas where the animal dont have a chance to ecape is a disgrace to all true hunters.

from -BrushDog1- wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

That's not hunting. It's shooting. That entire industry is an absolute disgrace, and to hear it be compared to hunting is an outrage. High fences, genetically-altered deer, and farm-raised elk have no place in any record book. Way to be, B&C.

from JW McCutcheon wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

what is the since in farm raised 'wild life' there is no challenge and absolutly no skill. and yes at 52 y/o i would give the left one to have a chance at a fair stalk and kill a monster like this. i'm glad i live in a state that does not allow high fence ownership of any wild game and you don't have to pay to hunt on private land.....

from Trever Greene wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

So lets say that 50 or 100 years ago, you are slinking through the woods, and you stumble upon some cactus head freak OF NATURE. You shoot, him, fairly, and take him home as a trophy. Everybody is impressed with how bizarre the critter is, and enjoys looking at him. TODAY, you pay some twit god knows how much money to shoot at some genetic abnormality like this with NO effort, NO skill, and NO chance of going home empty handed.
I won't say that effort didn't go into earning the money, but REALLY? Where is the point? And don't say on it's head either. There is a HUGE difference between shooting a trophy "freak" created by nature, and shooting one of these genetic Frankensteins. The first is pretty cool. These are just kind of silly and a little bit pathetic.

from JM1993 wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Killing one of these deer would be like dropping a lure into the big fish tanks they have at places like Bass Pro. No one would ever compare this to fishing out of a lake, so why would you ever think of comparing high-fence killing to free range hunting?

from JM1993 wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Killing one od these deer would be like me going and shooting one of the cows in our field. If you want to waste your time and money to kill livestock go ahead, just do not call it hunting(or yourself a hunter).

from jjas wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

While I wouldn't pay to "hunt" a deer like this, there are those who would. There are also deer in many of these factories that don't make the grade (and thus their sperm isn't quite as valuable to sell) so they (the deer) are allowed to be "hunted" by people who (IMHO) have more money than sense.

from captjim wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Looks like "Max" from the Grinch movie.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Well said Fritz!

from Scott Hall wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

I appreciate whitetails of all descriptions and while a buck like this does intrigue me, the opportunity to hunt in a high fenced enclosure does not appeal to me in the least. Like the first poster, I too do not think bucks like these(those raised and "shot" not hunted)in high fence enclosures should never be considered for inclusion in any record keeping book no matter how many inches of antler the buck has.

from Fritz Dreyer wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Thank you Boone and Crockett. I think these places like WHitehoue Whitetails etc.. are ridiculous. I am definately a trophy hunter(i do eat what I kill) but believe in Fair chase and wild animals. anything else should never be measured for any kind of a book not even SCI. Paying for a hunt is one thing but paying for a hunt inside a 10 foot fence is just wrong. Thanks Fritz Dreyer Warrenton, Missouri.

from Trever Greene wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from JM1993 wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from JW McCutcheon wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from Joshua Winsor wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

from Fritz Dreyer wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from Scott Hall wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from -BrushDog1- wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

from scottiep07 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Well said Fritz!

from JM1993 wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from captjim wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Looks like "Max" from the Grinch movie.

from Kammie Boyer wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

from Erika Plum wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from lavehargett wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

from trudeau wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

ETHICS.
It is all a matter of ethics. Dose the deer have a chance?

For me if it is not natural it is ot hunting.
What do yall think?