Kid Shoots 20-Point Buck During Kansas Youth Hunt

October 03, 2012
Kid Shoots 20-Point Buck During Kansas Youth Hunt - 11

This is why every state should have a youth deer hunt. Gunnar Murray, 13, was hunting with his dad, Greg, last month during Kansas' youth season when he spotted this 22-point buck with an impressive 23-inch spread.

They had been patterning deer on their farm all summer with trail cameras so when the season finally opened, they knew where to setup. On the second evening, they were sitting in a stand when a decent 10-pointer walked out.

Gunnar was getting into shooting position when they spotted a much bigger buck heading their way.

This from CJonline: "The large buck walked under the stand and stopped and looked up at them. Greg thought it was all over and the buck would take off, but Gunnar pulled the trigger and his dad thought he saw the deer flinch.

The other deer in the field took off but the deer Gunnar shot at did not run as fast as the others…

The group had to use flashlights to look for a blood trail but they did not see any blood. Greg felt sure the deer had been hit so they kept looking.

Finally, Greg went down the draw the buck had come up and found him about 80 yards from where he had been shot.

The party immediately began with much yelling and high fives for Gunnar’s first deer."

Greg and Gunnar are waiting for the 60-day drying period to run out to have the buck officially scored.

from Gunnar Murray wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

Thanks for all the comments and tiger98 we didn't just use the youth hunt because if I wouldn't have gotten the big buck the last day of youth season I would have tried to get him with my bow during bow season and yes there are monster bucks in KANSAS

from Matthew Meyers wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

awesome ... i cant wait to take jr hunting ... i would be so proud of my son if he took a button buck let alone one like that !!!

from WI Bowhunter 95 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Can never understand folks getting all fired up against the youth gun hunt. Many of my fellow archers (most of them without kids, or with kids long grown) are some of the biggest whiners. Congrats Gunnar on an amazing buck. I don't know about Kansas but in my state we have weeks of bow hunting before the kids get out with guns, plus another three months after that!!!

from Fishin Magician wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

GOOD FOR YOU KID.......NICE BUCK

FM

from Chuckdouglas wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

I agree that every state should have a youth hunt. Every young boy or girl should have the opportunity to hunt within their own time frame. The main reason it was initially started in states that have it was so that youth could hunt without all the pressure of the entire state hunting. WHY YOU ASK? Youth have an opportunity for a more successful hunting experience. If hunting in open season, that youth might not have an opportunity to be successful in killing that "first" deer and definitely might not have killed a 22 point buck. Imagine how many adults hunt in your state then include those coming from out of state. The chance for a youth to have a successful hunt just went down in percentage by that number factor. If youth are not successful in something they lose interest and that is a proven fact.

from 1902Tony wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

I agree with tiger98, I think all youth hunts should be stopped. We never had youth hunts when I was growing up. We hunted with the adults and was taught right from wrong. With all the hunting pressure we put on our deer, You have the Youth hunt, bow season, rifle season, black powder season, disabled season (I agree with this one) Early and a late Antler-less season. Then the Native Americans get to shoot 5 deer each. COME ON GIVE EM A BREAK. Our Deer herd in Michigan get hunted from Sept 22nd to Jan 1st, almost straight through. The Youth hunts are not needed. You have to be with your parent or guardian anyway, do it during the season.

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Everytime I see a monster trophy buck, it in the state of Kansas. What are they growing in their fields, steriods. LOL
Congratulations young man on a fantastic buck.

from Philip Ward wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Awesome !

from tiger98 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Congrats to the kid, but every state doesn't need a youth hunt. You need parents willing to take their kid hunting. Period. I think too many proponents of the youth hunts are those who don't want to be bothered with their kid tagging along during the normal "adult" hunting seasons, stepping on sticks, talking too loud, making too much movement, etc. like we all did as kids with our fathers for years before we learned the correct way to act in the woods. Youth hunts don't teach how to hunt with the normal hunting pressure either. Youth hunts show them how "easy" things can be, then they try the normal season and it isn't so easy. Many times do we tell our kids, "Hey, that's life" or "Life's not fair". Well, life isn't fair. And they need to learn that from the start, and learn to adapt from there. When my daughter is old enough to hunt, she won't be participating in any youth hunts and she'll understand the reason behind that. I'll take her with me when I go as soon as she's old enough to go in the woods with me, and when she is finally old enough to get her license, we'll hunt side-by-side, together her and I. She'll learn how to hunt like I did with my father. No freebie easy weekends. And for those who think I'm selfish and just don't want her to have an opportunity to fill a tag before I do, I fully plan on giving her the first shot(s). I'll be completely content if she does the tag-filling while I watch, but she's going to learn to do it the right way. And once she's old enough to sit by herself, on her own, she'll be better prepared to face the difficulties that both the woods, and life in general, have to offer.

from 6phunter wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

great buck now you'll have a lifetime of BUCKFEVER;;;;

from Inspector D wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Congratulations Gunnar on a beautiful trophy and memory that you and your dad can enjoy for years to come! Not to mention some serious bragging rights :)

from Inspector D wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from WI Bowhunter 95 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from Chuckdouglas wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from 6phunter wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

great buck now you'll have a lifetime of BUCKFEVER;;;;

from Philip Ward wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Awesome !

from Fishin Magician wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

GOOD FOR YOU KID.......NICE BUCK

FM

from Matthew Meyers wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

from Gunnar Murray wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

from tiger98 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Congratulations young man on a fantastic buck.

from 1902Tony wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago