The Long Buck: New York State Record Deer Was a Lie

October 05, 2012
The Long Buck: New York State Record Deer Was a Lie - 9

The buck’s antlers had it all – long beams, heavy mass, 23-points and enough of it all to eclipse the buck currently in New York’s #1 spot as an archery non-typical.

On September 27th, opening day of New York’s northern zone archery season, Wayne Long was hunting with a friend of the family’s farm near Watertown. It was there where he crossed paths with a giant non-typical buck that he was able to slip an arrow through and watch as the giant whitetail took its final steps.

With a rough score of 226 5/8” Long’s buck would easily surpass the 210 4/8” deer currently in the number one spot.

I found out about the buck through an email from Wayne’s brother Mike. Mike was at work when he sent the email and hadn’t had a chance to see the buck yet, but he was as excited as anyone would be to hear his brother got the big one. He said the buck had the potential to take the number one spot in the non-typical category and couldn’t wait to get over to his brother’s house that evening to get his hands on the rack.

Excited as anyone would be, I shared the photo on the NYBowhunter facebook page and it quickly took off becoming the most popular post ever to hit the page. Hunters across the state were excited for Long, but shortly after, the skeptics came out. It didn’t take long for a Facebook feud to ensue between those who seemed to know something the rest of us didn’t and Long’s girlfriend who defended her boyfriend.

Matt Cooper, a Lewis County measurer and Vice President of the NYS Big Buck Club, scored the buck. As he put the tape to the antler, he asked Long a few questions about the hunt, but the story he received didn’t seem to add up. Looking at the lower jaw of the buck, typically used to age a whitetail, Cooper estimated the buck to be 2.5 years old – way too young for a wild whitetail to put on this much antler in New York. Cooper was convinced this was a high-fence buck.

The next day Cooper had learned enough about the buck to believe it was farm raised and gave Long two options: remove the record book request or prove publicly that the deer was not farm raised. Long withdrew his request to the record books.

A few days later an article was published in the Watertown Daily Times. The first sentence read, “There will be no spot in the record books for Wayne N. Long II, a Watertown hunter who claimed to have killed a state record buck in Rutland Corners on Thursday.”

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation didn’t take Long’s false statements lightly. On October 2nd, Long received a ticket for filing a false statement. There’s also an ongoing investigation that could shed more light onto the Long buck.

On October 3rd, I received an email from Wayne’s brother Mike apologizing for sharing the pictures of his brother’s buck without knowing the real story behind the deer.

It’s sad to watch as someone shoots a high-fence buck and tries to deceive the hunting community into thinking it’s a free-range trophy that can top the record books. Even worse is a man lying to his own brother and putting him in an awkward situation. This is not what deer hunting is about. Trying to deceive the hunting community is simply unacceptable. It’s not something that’s taken lightly and it won’t be forgotten.

from Tc505 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

superdough:
I can't afford the money to mount the rack nor do I have room to hang it with all the pictures I decorate my house with. so I am not trying to holier than thou, but some of these guys go out strictly for the rack and leave the meat to rot. I agree with you though, this should have been shut down within hours of it hitting the net, but at least the guy doing the measuring asked the right questions and could tell how old it was.

from superdough wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I get so tired of the morally superior comments about hunting for meat vs. hunting for trophies. Does it really make any difference? The reason nobody cares that you shot another button buck is because there is nothing rare or special about it. If I wanted to shoot a doe, I could walk outside right now and have one within the hour. If you want to shoot a state record, it is a once (or never) in a lifetime proposition.

Regarding the article, anything of value will be counterfeited. Good job to the guy scoring the deer and asking the right questions.

from Tc505 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

so much for his 15 min. of fame!!! I am glad someone can afford to go hunting for "antler size" since I have always hunted for meat and it didn't matter to me whether it was a button buck or a 50 pointer!! and for those who don't understand, here in la. as long as a ring will stay on it, it is legal.

from Victor Rossi wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

New Category

Here's an idea for you big antler fanatics. Instead of concentrating on the bone, use an additional criteria to measure the table quality of the beast. For example, that young button buck who wouldn't gain any attention antler-wise could go to the top of the list when it comes to banquet faire. In comparison, my largest, a ten point Pennsylvania white tail, ended up at the Amishman's shop as ingredients for beer bologna.

from Herbie wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

I am a deer breeder in TX. The rancher should have stopped this on day 1. Shame on all involved. Hope he looses his hunting rights for a few years.

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Is anyone really surprised given this media promotioned insanity over large antlers? Who writes about shooting small to average bucks or does a TV show about it? When did you last read about bagging the doe or spike of your life? If you toss in the five figure cash reward that some collectors will pay, how can you be surprised by such a thing happening.

from Fishin Magician wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

WHAT A SMUCK....

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

I wonder how much he had to pay to shoot that thing, 226" 2 1/2 year old deer don't come cheap I'm sure. A sad situation all around.

from Bob Hansen wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Hi...

It seems like that most of the time when this type of fraud is attempted, the truth invariably comes out. For that, we can thank some of the more honest people out there.

from Bob Hansen wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago