New State Record Buck from Ohio?

October 16, 2012
New State Record Buck from Ohio? - 10

We’re tracking down this story from southwest Ohio. This huge non-typical buck that was taken earlier this month, and apparently a game warden has seen it and there’s video footage of the hunter making the shot. Not much is known about this deer at the moment, but one thing is for sure – it’s got tons of mass, what looks like 20 or so scorable points and four drop tines!

One of the drop tines looks like it could be between 10 and 12 inches long, which is incredible. The buck was reportedly rough scored at 238 inches and could possibly be one of the largest free-range whitetails taken with archery equipment in the state.

If you know anything about this buck or the hunter who shot it, let us know!

from Dcast wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

JM, I don't doubt this deer at all being free range. SW & NW Ohio is pretty urban so to speak and the hunting around here isn't like many other states that have vast timber lands, sage fields, crp, etc... We hunt manly little pockets of land compared to many other places, I myself hunt 3 yrd wide fence rows with great success. If you find a little stand of woods a 2 acres or smaller you can be looking at a spot the next 200"er comes out of. Not to mention we are afford the luxury if you want to call it that, that scent control isn't as big of a deal because the deer live within close proximity of humans. In my city we have a large population of deer living smack dab in the center of the city. People from out of state couldn't start to understand how to hunt in my area. Deer around here don't use their sense of smell as much as eyes and ears and they are very intuned with them. You can go about business but as soon as you start to act differently than normal the deer are gone. It is a whole different hunting style not necessarily easier but different than most.

from paarcher wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

looks photoshopped. supporting that amount of weight with 3 fingers.

from jjas wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

Dcast is correct. The Beatty buck was scored by Pope and Young score @ 294 inches as a non-typical.

So while this buck is certainly impressive, it isn't even close to the state record.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

Yeah, I agree with Dcast, that's not going to be anywhere near a state record. Still a heck of a deer though!

from scoony24 wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

I'm hoping to bow hunt a farm in SW Ohio this weekend. I hope I run into his brother/cousin/or offspring.

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

How many 200" deer in one season? Wow? Is 200" the new 150"?

from JM wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

-There have just been so many farm raised/illegally killed deer lately that I am going to wait until the facts come out on this deer...
@canthitathing,
I have a feeling they would look much better in person...especially if you were the one that pulled the trigger.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

Second thought, this buck wouldn't qualify as a record buck in Ohio assuming it would be scored as a non-typical. Mike Beatty buck was scored at over 300"+ I don't remember exact score but I know it was over 300". Gander Mountain in Huber Heights Ohio has a replica of it if any of you are in the area.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

Although a very impressive deer, the one found dead at the end of season last year was far more impressive. The buck found last year was a typical 8 with massive length and gerth I have a photo of it on F&S under my username Dcast for you to see. I know this was found dead by the owner of the land who was in the process of going through his land to set up pheasant habitat with a biologist who I actually worked with prior to him becoming a biologist and he was the one who forwarded the picture on to mutual friends. After telling a coworker about this buck and not knowing for sure this was the truth he confirmed the story with several other people who had the skull and antlers in hand. Take a look at the photo on F&S this deer looks like a d@mn elk and being a typical 8 makes it that more appealing to me! I should also mention it was found in southwestern Ohio also.

from canthitathing wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

All antlers are a trophy, however, that is one ugly rack (wouldn't have stopped me from taking a shot though, lol).

from Dcast wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

from canthitathing wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

from Dcast wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

from JM wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

@canthitathing,

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

How many 200" deer in one season? Wow? Is 200" the new 150"?

from scoony24 wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

from Dcast wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from paarcher wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

looks photoshopped. supporting that amount of weight with 3 fingers.