Do Your Deer Still Have Their Antlers?

March 20, 2013
Do Your Deer Still Have Their Antlers? - 9

I received this fascinating photo the other day from a hunting buddy in northeastern Pennsylvania. The time stamp (March 13) is accurate. Considering that bucks on my New England hunting grounds began losing their racks in mid to late December, to see these Pennsy deer (probably less than 150 miles away) still sporting their headgear is an eye-opener.

It’s my understanding that the property these bucks are on is carefully managed for quality deer. With springtime upon us, I’m wondering what you folks are seeing out there? Seeing many bucks still holding on to their horns?

from Western23 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Easter Sunday morning, 3-31-13, Columbus, MT., prior to 10AM I see a young spike muley buck and his doe in the back yard. Same pair I saw at the end of huning season in Nov.'12. Thought it was odd he hadn't shed his anters yet so I grabbed my camera and went around the far side of the garage to get photo proof. Shock cam when I ran into an abandoned Australian Shepherd pup, full of stickers and weeds and mangy, kind, timid and happy to meet me.
After several short pull of water I got him some scrambled anbd hard boil eggs and later a little turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy for Easter Sunday meals. Poster his picture all over the area and 4 2 months no calls from anyone who knew who owned him, not even the local Vets. Now, Mister Easter is mine, 2 years almost to the date when my6 16 yrs & 3 months AKC registered yellow lab, Cody (Sir Cody Brostol of Herald) passed away. I think this wonderful dog is Cody reincarnated. Vet said I got a great healthy very young dog. You'll have to take my word on the deer still wearing his spike antlers, but I'll post a picture of Mr. Easter as proof it was Easter Sunday 3-31-13.

from Jonathan Taylor... wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Jumped a 8 pointer withhis rack still there this afternoon... couldnt believe it!!! Doin some research on it

from Jeffrey Craig Martin wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

In the mountains of WV, this weekend (3/24/13) saw a buck with antlers and found 5 fresh rubs. I think made by a bigger buck. My only theory is that the buck was trying to rub his antlers off. Any other possible explanation ?

from the_golf_guy wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Was out shed hunting and scouting with my dad on Sunday March 9th in Southeastern PA (Chester County). Jumped a big 8pt still holding his antlers? Couldn't believe it myself...but there he was. And healthy as could be.

the_golf_guy

from 6phunter wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

BUCKS WITH ANTLERS ,in mid MARCH? According to a recent post by CRAIGH DOUGHERTY the deer feeding on these corn piles are actually starving themselves to death so quick they haven't had the time to drop antlers. As anyone can easily see ,these animals are poor examples of how late season deer should appear.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I'm in Iowa, as well, and I haven't seen an antlered buck in at least a month. Maybe longer.

from buckfan125 wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I seen a small buck about a week ago with a doe. I think I jumped them bedded down in some brush

from sangcoacc wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I harvested a buck that had already shed in mid January. As of about a week ago we were still seeing bucks with antlers in Central IL.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

If there's an antlered buck left in Iowa now, I haven't seen him. The latest I've ever photographed a buck with a full rack was the first week of April, don't know what was wrong with that deer!

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago