Story Behind the Buck: Deer of a Lifetime

February 26, 2014
Story Behind the Buck: Deer of a Lifetime - 5

Even though 11-year-old Coe Klauer brought in one of the best bucks to the Illinois Deer and Turkey Expo last weekend, a lot of people felt bad for him - or at least they said they did.

They said they felt sorry for the kid because he had shot his "buck of a lifetime" at age 11. Now, any buck he shoots would likely be smaller (his buck netted 163 2/8). What does he have to hunt for?
But, I'm not sure I buy this whole "buck of a lifetime" deal. Coe might never shoot a buck that's bigger than the one he killed with his grandpa during the youth season last year, but I bet he kills a couple that could be just as meaningful. Some day he'll probably shoot his first deer with a bow, he'll recover a deer he thought he'd never find, and down the road he might even take his own kid hunting and guide him to his first buck.

Then again, maybe there is something to the "buck of a lifetime" statement. But if there is, I don't think you measure it in inches.

Share your 2013/2014 trophy buck stories and photos with us in our annual Deer of the Year contest. You'll have the chance to have your deer featured on the cover of our August issue.

from MWK_MN wrote 20 weeks 5 days ago

I wasn't thinking the family was saying this just people passing by saying it while the kid was standing there. The "what does he have to hunt for" comment bothered me but maybe Alex threw that in there to stir the pot. I put myself in his shoes and thought if those comments were said around me at 11 I would really be confused as to why i'm hunting. I'm really happy to hear the kid has what I think are the right principles being taught to him. In fact I'm jealous I didn't have the same opportunities at his age that Megan is talking about giving him. Well done. I knew of another young kid who shoot a big deer and people were saying the same thing so this annoyed me a little. :)

from 4everAutumn wrote 20 weeks 6 days ago

Megan Klauer: I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. While I can't speak for MWK_MN, I'm pretty sure that post was of the same theme. Every paragraph of text in the article spoke to the fact that others “Felt sorry” for Coe for shooting a “Deer of a lifetime” as an 11 year old. My statement was not in reference to the young man, but to the people who basically told him that his best hunting days are now behind him. I hope his upbringing that you spoke of can overcome the unfortunate exposure to such misguided sentiment. Not only do I understand very well what Alex was saying in the article, I am in complete agreement with him.

from megan klauer wrote 20 weeks 6 days ago

While I appreciate both of your concerns I think you miss understood what Alex was saying in this article. Yes we spent the weekend celebrating his trophy deer as it was something well worth celebrating. However what you are assuming is really unfair. We hunt for food and we are teaching our kids that. This in fact is Coe's 5th deer and every single one of those deer have helped fill our freezer. We hunt as a family and shoot (both muzzleloader as well as archery) as a family. We are very much involved in teaching our children what hunting is all about. We don't just sit them in a stand come opening day. They are involved in planting the food plots, building the standS, and practice shooting way more often than most. What this doesn't tell you is that he was confident enough to take a 125 yard shot with his muzzle loader because he was prepared for the moment thanks to the practice that was put in. So in the end, yes he got the attention because of the size of the deer, but believe me the actual hunt with his Papa is what he will remember for the rest of his life. Please don't assume that there are not still people out there that take the time to teach their kids what hunting is really all about.

from 4everAutumn wrote 20 weeks 6 days ago

My thoughts exactly, MWK_MN. Sadly, I guess we should expect nothing less in this fist pumping, chest thumping, "Booyah!!" day and age. What does he have to hunt for? If he believes what people are telling him, maybe it should be for some proper perspective. If this truly becomes the deer of this kid's lifetime, I feel sorry for him too.

from MWK_MN wrote 20 weeks 6 days ago

Great, teach the kid at age 11 hunting is all about antler size and tagging a bigger buck each year is what matters most. How about fresh venison, the thrill of any close encounter with a deer, the uniqueness of each individual future rack he shoots, time spent in the wild and while his buck scores a lot in inches shooting a bigger one is definitely possible. I hope the people close to this kid are teaching him what matters most about hunting. People say that line because I think it's trendy and they don't know what else to say.

from MWK_MN wrote 20 weeks 6 days ago