Kids Hunting For a Cure

April 06, 2011
Kids Hunting For a Cure - 7

I met one of the coolest bunch of young hunters ever assembled on a recent Kids Hunting for a Cure event in Tennessee. KHFAC leads kids, many with terminal illnesses, on organized hunts to raise money for cancer research and to teach them that they can make a difference.

Rain, wind and cold could not dampen the enthusiasm, eagerness and spirit of our kids during the hunt.

Our home base, the Carroll County civic center, was jam packed when we arrived with guides, pro hunters, game call companies and eager kids awaiting the morning hunt. Everybody enjoyed great fellowship, a massive dinner, entertainment and an auction to raise money for St. Jude’s Children’s hospital.

Outdoor industry companies, professional turkey hunters, guides and television camera crews gathered at the civic center to meet with their young hunters. All spent their own time and money to get there, but when it comes to helping kids, it's always worth it. Everyone involved in this hunt did everything in their power to ensure the kids had the hunt of a lifetime.

Guide Kelly Cooper drove all the way from Pennsylvania, Von Eubanks flew in from California, and Terry Phillips, Don Shipp and Mike Miller came in early on Tuesday just to help scout hunting spots.

My brother Marty and I met with our kids when we got there. I hunted with 12-year-old Blake Carpenter and Marty hunted with Blake's 10-year-old brother Bailey. They are two great kids and we all had a lot of fun together.

Marty and I scouted our farm earlier in the day and we set up blinds for Blake and our cameras. Marty opted to run and gun with Bailey in his area of the farm. Even in the rainy, blustery conditions we managed to hear gobbling and call in turkeys. Unfortunately, Blake missed an opportunity to take a gobbler. He got off a shot at a nice tom at about 30 yards, but it was a clean miss. Bailey didn’t get a shot at a gobbling turkey that closed in on Marty's calling in thick cover at 17 steps.

But this hunt was about more than just killing turkeys. The four of us all had a great time, and I think Bailey and Blake are now hooked on turkey hunting. Mission accomplished.

As of Saturday afternoon there were 22 birds harvested and 23 reported misses. We only got to hunt for one day, however my long-time friend and fellow road dog, Terry Phillips, hunted our area Sunday morning and took a nice gobbler with his hunter Trent Kelsey.

Fostering an appreciation for the outdoors in the next generation is a primary goal of Kids Hunting for a Cure (KHFAC), which was founded in 2007 by Dr. John Waples and Dave Norval.

“When you take them out, their eyes sparkle,” says "Super" Dave Norval.

Based in Tennessee, KHFAC is entirely volunteer-run, but there’s no problem getting people to donate time, land and knowledge.

“Successful hunters love to teach,” says Waples. “Getting them to take kids out is easy. You just need an organizational base. We provide that platform.”

KHFAC has raised approximately $240,000 nationally through organized hunts, auctions and cookouts. The organization currently operates in seven states and aims to have at least 70 chapters by the end of 2011.

Find out more about KHFAC here.

from coopster wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

I took my son outdoors often for the eleven short years of his life. I cannot imagine what it would have meant to Jared and me to have someone like Ray Ey to take the time to share a hunt. You guys really are angels on earth!

from nursejamie wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

My son hunted in this hunt with his guide Terry Phillips and he killed his first turkey on Sunday morning. He was so excited that he got hit between the eyes with the hammer of the gun but that didn't stop him he ran after that turkey blood and all. We had a great time, we drove a little over 3 hours for this event but it was well worth the drive. I want to thank Super Dave and everyone else that puts this hunt together. God bless you all!! We will be back next year.

from Joel Shipman wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

What a great video! I am really enjoying "Chasing Spring" video's and photos! All the video's are great, but this video really captures ones heart. You can tell that Blake and Bailey Carpenter are really enjoying themselves!Thanks Ray and Marty for taking the time, to making these boy's have some memories! Priceless!!!

from auxarchs wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

I am fascinated with Ray Eye's, "Chasing Spring" series, and thought the recent video of Hunting with a Cure was inspiring and heart warming. It is fun to watch as Ray hunts turkeys from south to north. I can't wait to see his next post.

from cantshootalick wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Talk about Reality television. It doesn’t get more REAL than this. Thank you Ray and all the others that gave unselfishly of your time, money and resources for a much greater good and for letting us come along to be part of something this wonderful. Thank you Outdoor Life for putting this on your site for the entire world to see.

from Cspots wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

I could only hope we had more people like Dave and the two Eye Brothers and the rest of the Pro's and CW stars that took time to give back as these folks have- the smiles on those young peoples faces, after all they have been through, are Priceless!! Hats off to Mr Eye and his Brother for bringing this type of activity to the forefront- without Outdoor Life, Dave, the Eyes brothers and all the rest,We might not have ever known about this- No way it would be on Big Network lame stream TV-
Thank you to all the Men and Women that took action and put this together!
chris

from turkeyhunter wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Hi Outdoor Life & Bro. Ray Eye . Many thanks to you for what you guys did for Kids hunting For a Cure & thanks Ray & Marty Eye for the time you two Men spent with young Blake & Bailey Carpenter of Ga. those two young men will never forget the time in the Turkey Woods @ Northwest Tennessee. & Finally May God Bless All / " I close saying " Take a Child Hunting " you will never forget it !!<><

from turkeyhunter wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

from Cspots wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Thank you to all the Men and Women that took action and put this together!
chris