DSI: Don't Pressure a Mature Buck off Your Property in the Early Season

June 12, 2012
DSI: Don't Pressure a Mature Buck off Your Property in the Early Season - 10

Most big deer stories end with nothing more than a big smile and a bloody tongue. Outdoor Life’s Deer Scene Investigation takes you deeper than the grip-and-grin. This new web series on OutdoorLife.com uses satellite imagery, trail cam photos, and a history of the wind and weather to tell the complete story behind heart-racing high-quality whitetail hunts. It's about more than how these bucks were killed, it's about how they were born, how they lived, and what they were doing when they met their end.

Host Neil Dougherty of NorthCountry Whitetails professionally manages land for wild, free-ranging quality deer. And over the past 20 years he’s helped his clients harvest more mature deer through planting and habitat development. Each episode highlights one buck, hunted in some cases over more than one year. Neil narrates using information from interviews with the hunter and from data gathered while managing the property. If there's a forensic science of deer hunting, this is it.

Tune in each Tuesday at noon EST as we investigate 12 of these hunts. Then check back each Thursday as Dougherty details a tactic the hunter used in the previous episode.

- Design & animation by Jason Pietras

from bioguy01 wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

I LOVE THIS SERIES! I hope OL does it again next year too!

from rk13069 wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

Whew, that was cool. Gets my heart rate up just watching it. Great way to use technology to re-create the entire scenario and tell a great story.

And while my heart rate it up - deer hunting hasn't come down to anything. What makes it a success has been and will alawys be up to the hunter so get out there and hunt! Whether you have a PDH in deer hunting like Neil or if you are an old weekend school stump sitter you still get your personal trophy.

from CGIVC wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

This was very informative! Some of us just hunt because we enjoy it and like to put some meat in the freezer. Some are trophy hunters. I prefer to put some meat in the freezer but I am always looking to learn new information. Thank you for providing this new type of program. I enjoyed it.

Good hunting!

from John Jeanneney wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

I had been a subscriber to Outdoor Life for 55 years, but became disenchanted when the magazine began to drift into sound bite, mini articles instead of in-depth information and good literature. Neil Dougherty's fascinating analytical video is a welcome return to Outdoor Life's old standards. I will start paying close attention to Outdoor Life once more!

from Buckstopshere wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Neil: Great job! The truth in your narrative rings through. I really enjoyed your presentation...what a breath of fresh air compared to so many run-of-the-mill, cookie-cutter deer videos. My hat is off to you on this one! Can't wait to enjoy the next one! Maybe a little over-edited with the techno-backgrounds...but hey, what do I know?!

from HuntnFish wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

DSI is a great addition to OL! Keep up the good work!

from Longbeard78 wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Everybody has to drawn their line somewhere. I admit, my line changes sometimes based on how I'm feeling, how much time I have to beat the bush, and other things. I do know that I won't take a shot that requires an adjustable long-range scope. But I have taken a number of deer, bucks and does, at distances in the 250-290 yard range because I know I can kill that deer quickly and ethically provided I have a good rest. I know I don't like hunting over bait but I have sat at food plots. Never killed a big buck on a food plot, though, because in most real world situations, big bucks avoid them. This farm was clearly a buck sanctuary until Cardiac was killed. I'll bet no does were taken there until then either.

from JM wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

-Mr. Mitchell,
Just because they use trail cameras and food plots does not mean they are wrong. Most trophy hunters that use these can afford to not kill a deer during a season, so what is wrong with them waiting and hoping for a large mature deer? With that being said, I hunt like you. I've never even purchased a tree stand, we make them all by hand. I wont even hunt over an open field, let alone a food plot
-Mr. turkeybow,
I have nothing against the way you hunt, it is just not for me. The way I see it, if you can afford these "perks" and enjoy utilizing them than go for it(After all, hunting is all about enjoying them in the outdoors in a legal manner). You enjoy getting a picture of a deer and targeting it during the season while I enjoy the mystery of not having any idea of what I will see that day. I have never had the urge to get any of my deer mounted, or even scored. I do cut off the antlers and take a picture next to the deer though, that is all I need for the memories to come back.

from turkeybow wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Mr. Mitchell,
Yes sir, this is what deer hunting has come to and I, for one, welcome it! I don't disagree with your concept of sitting on a stump and waiting for a deer, but why not utilize some of the modern technology available to make the experience even more enjoyable and, perhaps, memorable? Wouldn't it be neat to have a framed trail camera picture of a buck you shot hanging on your wall next to his shoulder mount? Believe me when I tell you that I spend many, many hours wearing out boot leather by scouting the traditional way, but I'll also take the help I can get through game cameras, satellites, and other modern gadgets so that I can learn more about the habits of the elusive whitetail. This is not to say that because of these tools I now come home every year with a big rack buck. It just doesn't happen like that because the whitetail is still the ultimate trophy and one of the smartest and wiliest creatures on earth. It may seem ironic to you but I can't wait to get out there and check my food plots and game camera pictures to see the quality of the bucks I'll be going after in a few months with my 50 lb. Recurve! I guess you could say I'm combining a little bit of the old with a little bit of the new. And, don't forget, we all still have to possess that "woodsmanship" and skill of a hunter to even think about matching wits with these special animals. I do wonder though...Did you ever look at a topographic map or aerial photo's, or a weather forecast for that matter, prior to your stump sitting? If you did, then you were using the modern technology of the times my friend! Good luck this fall and enjoy your time hunting.

from Don Mitchell wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

So this is what deer hunting has come DOWN to,what in he** has happened to going out in the early dawn,plopping you butt down by a stump, may be bag "nice" deer and sharing it with good friends??
Shame on all of you so called trophy ( hunters ).
My trophy is an all day hunt with my son.Deer or not.
PS,I'm 71 and will be out on OCT.1 looking for some deer meat once again .

from JM wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

-Mr. Mitchell,
-Mr. turkeybow,

from Don Mitchell wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Shame on all of you so called trophy ( hunters ).
My trophy is an all day hunt with my son.Deer or not.
PS,I'm 71 and will be out on OCT.1 looking for some deer meat once again .

from Longbeard78 wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

from HuntnFish wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

DSI is a great addition to OL! Keep up the good work!

from John Jeanneney wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

from turkeybow wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Mr. Mitchell,

from Buckstopshere wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

from CGIVC wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Good hunting!

from rk13069 wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

from bioguy01 wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

I LOVE THIS SERIES! I hope OL does it again next year too!