Jose Wejebe Dies in Plane Crash

Gone Fishin’ Recent Posts

Gone Fishin

April 09, 2012
Jose Wejebe Dies in Plane Crash - 7

The fishing world lost one of its most popular personalities late last week when Spanish Fly host Jose Wejebe died in a plane crash shortly after takeoff from Everglade Airpark in Florida. Wejebe, 54, was the sole occupant of the homebuilt single-engine plane.

The Cuban-born Wejebe was a colorful and popular personality in the fishing community and the host of Spanish Fly since 1995.
 He is survived by his 28-year-old daughter Kristin. Outdoor Life sends its deepest condolences to the Wejebe family.

From the Wejebe family:

We would like to invite all family and friends to a Celebration of Life in honor of Jose Wejebe, Sunday April 15, 2012 at 1:30 PM at the International Game Fish Association Museum (IGFA) in Dania, Beach Florida. All those who were touched by Jose are welcome to attend.

Further information and updates will be available shortly at www.spanishflytv.com.

from Roberto Brung wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

He shall be truly missed by all fans of fishing, a gentleman of the sea if such can be said. I grew up on his show The Spanish Fly an have been an avid follower of his since my teenage years, the way he hosted the show was unlike any other fishing show i did and have watched to this day. Another great gone all to soon. My heart goes out to his family and friends and all of his fans all over the world. I hope the fishing is as good in heaven as it was on earth.

from Katie Pettway wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

The fishing world has lost a true conservationist and inspiration in the sport of fishing. I loved watching Jose on the outdoors channel. From exploring exotic locations and angling for so many different species of fish from salt water to fresh. One could really see his love for the outdoors and the great sport of fishing. My sympathies to the Wejebe family and all of those who have lost an awesome man and angler. Tight lines in heaven.

from pineywoods wrote 2 years 2 days ago

Geojohn---your comment was most eloquent and certainly covered my feelings about him. His was the only outdoor show that I really enjoyed and he was the only host that I would have liked to fish with. It's a shame.

from geojohn wrote 2 years 4 days ago

This is an incredible shock to me personally. The Spanish Fly has always been my way of escaping back into my true calling in life. Though I am a Michigan native, my heart and soul belong on the flats in the salt air. Serious and novice anglers alike will all suffer from this loss. His soul always seemed to be guided by the hero of all true salt water fishermen, Earnest Hemmingway, and Jose seemed to live by those rules. Although I was not lucky enough to know him personally, judging from his candor and demeanor, he seemed to be well like by all who knew him. I will certainly miss his enthusiastic presentation of fishing techniques, the surreal settings exemplified in his adventures and the camaraderie shared by all who fished with him. God bless you, Jose, and your family and friends who hurt due to your abrupt and unexpected departure.

from ARtroutbum wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Jose was so much fun to watch for so many reasons. He was not the pompous a$$ that you see in TV guys. I love the way he fished with the equipment needed to catch fish - that is - he was not a fly slob, but loved to fly fish. He also would take fish for food while still respecting the species that are in danger. He will be sorely missed

from John Ogden wrote 2 years 1 week ago

very sad! condolences to his family he will be missed!

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 1 week ago

My sympathies go to his family. You could tell that Jose loved what he was doing.

from John Ogden wrote 2 years 1 week ago

very sad! condolences to his family he will be missed!

from geojohn wrote 2 years 4 days ago