Case Closed on Giant Eyeball Found in Florida

Gone Fishin’ Recent Posts

Gone Fishin

October 15, 2012
Case Closed on Giant Eyeball Found in Florida - 3

The mystery eyeball that washed ashore on Pompano Beach last week belonged to a swordfish, the state Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission announced today.

Although some originally speculated the eyeball might have belonged to a giant squid, experts seemed to think a large deep-water fish species was more likely, according to NBC News.

Experts based their conclusion on the color, size, and shape of the massive softball-sized orb. The remaining bone and straight-line cuts around the eye indicate a fisherman cut it from the swordfish and tossed it back into the sea.

The FWC will confirm the preliminary swordfish identification with genetic testing. All we can say is, we told you so.

from JM wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Why would the person cut out the eye to begin with?

from Inspector D wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I'm curious as to how big of a fish this came from.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

You coud catch a heck of a fish with that eye ball. When I was young in the summer time me & a few of my fam. members would live off of fish from the local streams. I remember when the worms would run out, the next best thing to use after that was fish eye's. Trust me it works....but the way things are now days there's probly a law againts it.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Inspector D wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I'm curious as to how big of a fish this came from.

from JM wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Why would the person cut out the eye to begin with?