Maine To Ban Fishing With Soft-Plastics?

Gone Fishin’ Recent Posts

Gone Fishin

February 06, 2013
Maine To Ban Fishing With Soft-Plastics? - 7

If state Representative Paul Davis has his way, soft-plastic lures will be banned in the state of Maine. That’s right—you can kiss your creature baits goodbye.

“The legislation seeks to ban “rubber” baits but does not define the terms,” according to KeepAmericaFishing. “Even so, the intent of the legislation is clear—to ban the soft baits that Maine anglers use every day. The bill would even ban biodegradable soft baits currently available.”
So what’s next? According to seacoastonline.com, there is another bill currently in the Maine Legislature that would require the use of biodegradable hooks.

Outdoorlife.com will provide updates on these proposed pieces of legislation.

from LGIW wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Liberal wisdom.

from Yoda wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

The thought process behind it is that cold water fish have been caught with soft plastics in their digestive systems. I myself have seen and caught brook trout with senkos in their stomachs. For some fish it is likely affecting their growth, for many togue that are full of these things, maybe not as much of an issue as they are larger and can cope, but it likely still affects them. I'm not sold on it entirely, would rather see it as a ban on specific bodies of water to protect native cold water fish, but from an enforcement stand point that is tough to do I don't think a ban on soft plastics would pass here in Maine honestly, there are just too many people that like to fish for bass, and many trout anglers who also like to fish for them, but also many that hate seeing soft plastics inside cold water fish.

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

I think we should ban golf balls. It must take a trillion years for them to decompose and some places I hunt and fish they are littered everywhere. Golf balls are horrible for the environment, let's start there.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Oh, brother. Where do they come up with this stuff? Do politicians really nothing else to worry about?

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago