Do All Dogs Go to Heaven?

Gun Dogs Recent Posts

Gun Dogs

April 22, 2013
Do All Dogs Go to Heaven? - 7

Canine mortality has crossed my mind more often then I would care to acknowledge—I have a 13-year-old English bulldog, and after Kona's cancer scare. Then I saw a post on Facebook about dogs going to heaven and greeting us when we get there. The caption asked: "Do you believe our dogs go to heaven?"

I'm conflicted when I think about this topic; emotion and logic run headlong into each other and it combines with a good bit philosophy, too.

Emotionally, I would like to think that Hoss; Kona; the cockapoo with seven lives that I grew up for 17 years; Rosie the English springer spaniel (my first “hunting” dog); the three red-bellied newts; umpteen cats that never lasted more than a year; the bullsnake; the horned-lizard that my dad had to kill because it somehow broke its pelvic bone; and all the other critters I collected as a kid would rush to greet my soul as it crossed over to the other side (I’m not too sure my grandma, who would undoubtedly be there, would like the snakes and lizards).

But, logically, I don’t think that would happen. It’s just too neat and pretty, and, of course, depends on each individual’s definition of heaven/afterlife/etc.

Philosophically, it’s hard to logically defend.

If a dog (or other animal) has an immortal soul such as man, than each time we kill for food or to end suffering, we are committing murder. Now, there are probably some animal-rights activists somewhere (probably California) jumping up and down and peeing their hippie corduroy bellbottoms that I just wrote that (to be clear, I don’t believe that, so if anyone sees a truncated quote on the PETA site, please correct them), but philosophically speaking, you can’t live on both sides of the fence.

Or can you?

I tend to fall more in line with a Native American belief system (I think anyway…), and find more equilibrium in the idea of an animal spirit. One that deserves respect and care, that feels and empathizes, but one that is somehow, and I’m not sure how to define or quantify that, less than (although, perhaps more noble) than human. The idea of paying respect to an animal – whether it’s one killed on the hunt or our dog’s life that we just humanely extinguished – and honoring it’s life, spirit and fulfillment it brings you (be that as sustenance or emotional satisfaction) seems fitting.

So, now that I’ve probably offended every religion, Native American tribe and bell-bottomed hippie, where do you stand on the question: Do dogs go to heaven?

from codydog wrote 45 weeks 6 days ago

I lost the best dog that ever owned me,Monday. I'm going with the Will Rogers quote.

from Rudi Prohaska wrote 51 weeks 6 days ago

To quote Will Rogers "If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went" - my feelings exactly.

from Oneshot wrote 51 weeks 6 days ago

Do dogs go to Heaven, that’s a stupid question? Of course they do, I lost my George last week and I know he’ll find Christopher. They’ll be waiting for me when I get there and if I stray they’ll keep me heading in the right direction so that we’ll be together again.

from AZHunter wrote 51 weeks 6 days ago

I've long said that if dogs aren't allowed in Heaven, I don't want to go. My German shepherds are far better people than I'll ever be. We lost our big white male GSD 2.5 months ago to cancer at the age of 10 and I cried my eyes out. A friend shared with me the poem/story of the Rainbow Bridge and then, in my RCIA class, a Deacon told us that Heaven is that special place where we are happiest with our beliefs in God. He gave us this understanding because he had a lady once that said she won't go without her dogs. I believe in God and I believe in Heaven. I also firmly believe that I will see my buddies again and we'll cross that Rainbow Bridge together (whole again) and spend our eternity together with Him.

from wisc14 wrote 51 weeks 6 days ago

yes i believe they do

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 1 day ago

I have never met an evil dog.

from 4everAutumn wrote 1 year 1 day ago

There’s a Twilight Zone episode (I think it’s called The Hunt) from the early sixties about a coon hunter who dies with his dog. He ends up at some gates and the keeper won’t let his dog in with him. He remarks that “It juss don’t seem right” and that if his dog isn’t allowed in, he will just keep on walking. Later, he comes to another gate. He talks to that keeper about what happened down the road and that “With no dogs allowed, it must be a helluva heaven.” Turns out that hell is exactly what the place was and “Of course”, he was told, “All dogs are allowed in heaven. “
My old lab is 15 and I understand that our time together is much shorter than I want it to be. If she isn’t waiting for me when I get there, I’d just as soon keep walking.

from 4everAutumn wrote 1 year 1 day ago

from Oneshot wrote 51 weeks 6 days ago

from AZHunter wrote 51 weeks 6 days ago

from Rudi Prohaska wrote 51 weeks 6 days ago

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 1 day ago

I have never met an evil dog.

from wisc14 wrote 51 weeks 6 days ago