Pennsylvania Becomes 27th State to Pass 'Castle Doctrine' Legislation

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

July 06, 2011
Pennsylvania Becomes 27th State to Pass 'Castle Doctrine' Legislation - 6

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett signed the state's Castle Doctrine legislation into law on last week, making PA the 27th state to permit law-abiding citizens to use force, including deadly force, against an attacker in their home and any place they have a legal right to be. It also protects individuals from civil lawsuits by an attacker or attacker’s family when force is used.

The bill passed in the state House in a 164-37 vote and in the state Senate, 43-4.

The NRA has spearheaded the nationwide movement to pass Castle Doctrine legislation, beginning with Florida in 2005.

Key elements of the bill include allowing people to use deadly force, without first retreating, not only on their own property, but outside their homes or businesses or anywhere in public if they are accosted.

"Gov. Corbett and Pennsylvania lawmakers know that law-abiding citizens must have the right to protect themselves when criminals attack without fear of being second-guessed by an overzealous prosecutor," said Chris W. Cox, executive director, National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action. "Crime victims don’t have the luxury of time when confronted by a criminal and must be able to count on the law being on their side. This new law accomplishes that by removing any mandate of forcible retreat."

For more, go to:

-- Local legislators, police chief support Castle doctrine expansion

-- Pennsylvania Governor Signs NRA-Backed Castle Doctrine into Law

-- Deadly force expansion passes Pa. Senate

-- Make meaningful statistic comparisons

-- New law makes it easier to shoot intruders

-- 'Castle Doctrine' passage part of long effort -- and bill still has last-ditch opposition

-- Bill to Expand Gun Rights at Your “Castle” Headed to Gov. Corbett’s Desk

-- The Cost of the Castle Doctrine

from 25-06 guy wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

Smitty 18 I'm with you on the game commission thing!

from 25-06 guy wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

I'm glad to see my home state to pass this law, But it would not of stopped me from using deadly force to protect me or my family before this. Hopefully after a few citizens use this to there advantage and drop a few intruders future outlaws might stop and think first before committing a crime. Now all we have to do is get a coast to coast CCWP.

from Smitty18 wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

It is about time my state passed this!! I was not happy about who got elected gov. but he got it done so good job PA. Now if we could just fix the game commission.
Smitty18

from elkslayer wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

This is all fine and dandy but I never felt like I needed permission to use deadly force to protect my family or myself. I also don't believe that anyone regardless of local laws would just sit back allow their family to be murdered because the law wouldn't allow them to defend themselves.

from Dcast wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

Now all we law abiding citizens need is the federal reciprocity agreement to be passed, along with the 2nd Admendment to be recognized by all states. It sounds as if the states that don't recognize the 2nd admendment need far worse than the states that do with all the "Flash Mob" attacks by "Urban/Inner City teens"!

from akferraro1 wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

Funny how the Democrats, who blocked this bill for the last 5 years, all voted for it.

from akferraro1 wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

from Dcast wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

from elkslayer wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

from Smitty18 wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

Smitty18

from 25-06 guy wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

from 25-06 guy wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

Smitty 18 I'm with you on the game commission thing!