Concealed Carry And Firearms On College Campuses

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

October 11, 2011
Concealed Carry And Firearms On College Campuses - 7

School is in session and courts are issuing lessons on the United States Constitution.

On Sept. 29, the Oregon Court of Appeals overturned a longtime policy of the state university system that barred guns from college campuses, regardless of permits. The ruling makes it legal for permit holders to carry loaded weapons anywhere on public college grounds where, despite protests from some in Academia, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights still apply.

Oregon joins Colorado, Wisconsin and Mississippi as states which recently allowed guns on campus.

There are now 22 states that still expressly prohibit concealed carry on college campuses by persons with a valid concealed handgun license/permit. Of those, Texas law specifically prohibits concealed carry on campus, but includes a clause which allows an individual college/university to "opt out" of the law and allow concealed carry.

Meanwhile, a student and Florida Carry, Inc., have filed a lawsuit against the University of North Florida seeking a permanent injunction from enforcing its campus firearms ban. The challenge, filed on Oct. 3, claims the school is citing its right to ban guns from being stored in vehicles on campus parking lots the way Florida public school districts can do.

According to the suit, the university falls outside that exemption since it is a state university and not a local school district.

For more, go to:

Guns On College Campuses? Oregon Court Allows Permit Holders To Bring Guns To School Grounds

A Victory for Oregon Universities’ Students, Staff and Faculty

Court overrules gun ban, returns sanity to campus

In Some States, Guns Are Heading to College Campuses

Growing Trend: Allowing Guns on Campus

STATE BY STATE

Student safety: Oregon should ban guns on public college campuses

Bring a Gun to Campus in Oregon; A Very Fake Penn Student

Guns Come to Campuses

Debate over gun control continues

7 States Considering Allowing Guns On College Campuses

No Guns for University of Wisconsin Professors

Florida Carry Sues Over University Parking Lot Gun Ban

Florida Student Reportedly Sues University Over Campus Gun Ban

Alexandria Lainez, University of North Florida Student Reportedly Sues University Over Campus Gun Ban

Florida Gun Law Changes Change the Landscape

Allow Guns In Cars On College Campuses?

Judge Will Decide If You Can Have a Gun In Your Car in UNF Parking Lot

from land_cruiser_73 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I agree with JM1993. College administrators should be able to deny us our 2nd amendment rights. They should also be able to restrict our 1st amendment rights.

from JM1993 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Should be up to the school to decide. There are a few kids in my classes that I would never trust with a concealed firearm even if I had one myself.

from Montanagyrene wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I also work at a state university, and personally, if I were allowed to carry, I WOULD!! As my screen name indicates, I'm a Former Marine (although it true, "Once a Marine, ALWAYS a Marine"), I stand 6', and weigh 270. While some of that is extra (working on it), I'm STILL a fairly formidable person, but when I walk out of the building at 2230 (10:30 pm), all I'm ALLOWED to be 'armed' with is a steel thermos!! Better than nothing, but I STILL feel just a BIT like a target, & I for SURE DON'T LIKE IT!!

from jhorton wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

That is crazy. I work at the University of Central Oklahoma and I have seen fistfights over parking spaces and altercations over a pick up basketball game.College life is stressful at best for most young people and I fear adding guns to the equation is going to be a disaster. I am all for gun ownership and the right to cary in most instances just not this one. The fact that most college students don't get enough sleep and that for the most part alcohol and drug consumption increases for alot of college kids just adds fuel to the fire.I hope this does not happen in Oklahoma.

from Smitty18 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I know where I will be going to college! I would definitly feel alot safe with the 1911 .45 ACP compared to a pencil and protractor.

from ORbowhunter wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

As a resident of OR and a grad of OSU, this is some of the best news that has come out of our state in a long, long time. It's awesome to see that our left leaning state has finally gotten something right! Go Beavs!!

from 6phunter wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

The right to bear arms shall not be infringed upon', MY HATS OFF TO THE OREGON STATE OF APPEALS/the next weasel face that trys a colombine incident will think twice in the above campuses mentioned.

from 6phunter wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago