Mossberg Introduces A Lever Action Tactical Rifle

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

January 25, 2012
Mossberg Introduces A Lever Action Tactical Rifle - 11

The creative minds at O.F. Mossberg and Sons have come up with a first: a tactical level action rifle, the patent-pending 464 SPX Lever-Action, based on the gunmaker’s time-tested 464 lever action.

Chambered for .22LR and .30-30 Win, the tactical adornments of the 464 SPX include: a six-position adjustable, synthetic stock; tri-rail forends with rail covers; and adjustable fiber optic sights. All rifles in the SPX line also come with front and rear sling swivel studs and in durable matte blue metal finishes.

There are two models in .22LR, one with a ported muzzle brake, the other without. Each of these .22LR versions has a compact 18-inch barrel with rifle sights. The receiver features dovetail-style mounts for ease of adding optics. With full-length magazine tube, total ammunition capacity is 14 rounds.

Two models of 464 SPX are available in .30-30 Win—one with a flash suppressor, one without. Both feature a compact 16 ¼-inch barrel with 1:10 twist rate, a six-round total capacity, adjustable 3-dot fiber optic sights, and a drilled/tapped receiver with scope rail.

MSRP’s from $497 to $535, depending on model.

from Bevin Chu wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Lever actions are intrinsically inaccurate.

Their bolt design makes it virtually impossible to get a tight lockup.

Their two piece stocks introduce extra movement and looseness.

A traditional Model 94 style carbine in 30-30 is fine for close range deer hunting in the woods.

But a "tactical" lever action is a ridiculous oxymoron.

from Bevin Chu wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Lever actions are intrinsically inaccurate.

Their bolt design makes it virtually impossible to get a tight lockup.

Their two piece stocks introduce extra movement and looseness.

But a "tactical" lever action is a ridiculous oxymoron.

from Bill Jennings wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I like it. Change is good and its gonna excite more people about lever action guns

from Connor Stevens wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

the muzzle brake only comes on the 30-30 version genius.

from Willie Hines wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

If this had been Remington offering this everyone would be all over it. I don't understand why there's so much hatred toward Mossberg. I love it. But then again, I love tradition and progress.

from Erik Reid wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

I'm getting one! No it's not tradition but it looks fun and unique.

from bigjake wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

this must of been thought up by the same egghead designers at Mossberg who thought a muzzle brake on the Plinkster .22lr was a great idea.....

from Ruger wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Well they have totally destroyed the classic lines of a lever action.

from WckedMidas wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

I think its a goos way to get people into useing lever actions again. Might bring some more younger people into the sport.

from JM wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I think this is stupid. Like DSM said, I do not know why anyone would want this.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I'm sorry but I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in such a thing. This has got to be a marketing thing that any weapon, knife, article of clothing etc with the word "tactical" in it will sell better.

from WckedMidas wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Ruger wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Well they have totally destroyed the classic lines of a lever action.

from Erik Reid wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

I'm getting one! No it's not tradition but it looks fun and unique.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from bigjake wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Willie Hines wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Connor Stevens wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

the muzzle brake only comes on the 30-30 version genius.

from Bill Jennings wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Bevin Chu wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Lever actions are intrinsically inaccurate.

Their bolt design makes it virtually impossible to get a tight lockup.

Their two piece stocks introduce extra movement and looseness.

But a "tactical" lever action is a ridiculous oxymoron.

from Bevin Chu wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Lever actions are intrinsically inaccurate.

Their bolt design makes it virtually impossible to get a tight lockup.

Their two piece stocks introduce extra movement and looseness.

But a "tactical" lever action is a ridiculous oxymoron.

from JM wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago