Winchester to Introduce World’s Fastest Rimfire Cartridge

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

December 04, 2012
Winchester to Introduce World’s Fastest Rimfire Cartridge - 11

Keep an eye out for a sizzling new rimfire round from Winchester that’s going to be announced in early 2013. I can’t release specific details right now—a series of confidentiality agreements has seen to that—but I can offer this tidbit.

The new round is going to be the fastest rimfire round available by quite a margin.

This is going to be good news for varmint and small game hunters and, if history is any guide, I’m very optimistic about the accuracy potential of this cartridge too.

One gun maker has already signed up to chamber the cartridge and by the end of 2013, I expect at least two more to jump on the bandwagon.

I'll release more details as soon as I can. Stay tuned.

from JHP wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Is this suppose to handle up to and including coyote ?
Or, is it a longer range number for things like ground hogs?
Does faster speed mean more noise?
This will be interesting to see where it fits in.

from Varminter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I would think the 5mm rimfire would be darn close to these specs with a lighter bullet.

from HandsomeHunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Amazing! Simply amazing! An article is posted that says little more than a new rimfire cartridge, faster than the rest, will be introduced to the world next month and 5 of the 8 comments are already negative? Boys, you need to take your anti-depressants each and every day just as the doctor prescribed. I,for one,prefer to wait till the facts come out and enjoy every facet of anything gun related before deciding whether something suits my needs.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Even though I probably wouldn't buy a rifle for it I still think this will be interesting. I am looking forward to hearing more about it. New technology and cartridges is always interesting and worth checking out.

from randall wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

This is where firearms companies have missed the boat for years. They have not made large caliber rim fire cartridges. They could be made capable of any game for a lot less than center fires in semiautomatics without having to hunt for the empties.

from 6phunter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

IF THEY USE CCI TO MAKE THE CARTRIDGE HULL,THEN IT WON'T BE WORTH THE RISK OF BLOWBACK. see {SQUIDS .17 CAL }

from jh45gun wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Well it was a turn off when they said a gun maker was going to sign up to make a gun to chamber it meaning it is not a standard size 22 LR cartridge. If they made a very fast 22 LR that was in the 22 mag territory for half the price of 22 mag they would have something. I traded off my 22 mag Henry not because I did not like the round or the gun but because the cost of the round was too darn high for a lot of shooting. I can load my own Cast bullet loads for Centerfire cheaper and get more bang for the buck than buying 22 MAG ammo. Like the 22 Mag and 17 HMR I bet this round will not be reasonably priced.

from Bob Hansen wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Hi...

That's interesting, but I'm not impressed (yet).

When will "The Rest of the Story" be forthcoming...??

from John B. Snow wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

So the concerns are that it is going to be inaccurate and expensive? I'll post something later addressing both these issues.

from Stephen Cromwell wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

So we're getting a new, probably overpriced, specialty round that we can't reload?
Sounds like heaven.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

That's nice, but will it be accurate? Most of the super-fast rimfire cartridges I've used seem to sacrifice accuracy for maximum velocity.

from Stephen Cromwell wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Sounds like heaven.

from John B. Snow wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Bob Hansen wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Hi...

That's interesting, but I'm not impressed (yet).

When will "The Rest of the Story" be forthcoming...??

from randall wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from HandsomeHunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from jh45gun wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from 6phunter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Varminter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from JHP wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Is this suppose to handle up to and including coyote ?
Or, is it a longer range number for things like ground hogs?
Does faster speed mean more noise?
This will be interesting to see where it fits in.