Dinosaur Hunting Guns (Cont.)

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

April 11, 2013
Dinosaur Hunting Guns (Cont.) - 6

It turns out that I was a bit cavalier with my selection of firearms for taking on dinosaurs, at least according to my 9-year-old son who, I’ll be the first to admit, is much more knowledgeable about matters Cretaceous than I.

Specifically, he took me to task for suggesting that a semi-auto shotgun is adequate for velociraptors. Given their diminutive size (33 pounds), I figured that any good tactical shotgun stuffed with buckshot would do the trick.

Bad move, Jack told me.

Because of their speed, intelligence and pack-hunting tactics by the time they get into shotgun range you’re toast, Jack said.

He says you need to be able to engage them at longer distances while preserving the ability to take them on at close range. Because of this the best choice is clearly an AR-style rifle, he told me.

Fortunately, I already have a perfectly configured rifle in my safe. It is my Primary Weapons Systems Mk1 that I use for 3-gun competition. It has a Leupold Mark 8 CQBSS 1.1-8x24 on top with a set of Dueck Defence offset sights mounted.

This should help when the dinosaur invasion kicks off. What’s your contingency?

from Dave Geisert wrote 1 year 4 days ago

To paraphrase Robert Muldoon (Jurassic Park's game warden):

"Clever Boy!" Jack's absolutely correct!

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 4 days ago

Posting that picture of your som will likely get you a visit from a SWAT team. You know that, right?

from TheAnatomist wrote 1 year 4 days ago

Oh, and a note about head shots:
You don't have to hit the brain for it to be incapacitating. Just the shock wave of the bullet passing through can put you down permanently. It's also worth noting that the eyes connect directly to the brain--so if you're not sure, aim for just behind the eyeball and that should be close enough to drop the animal even if it doesn't kill it immediately. And T-rex heads aren't a small target so it's not a difficult the way we think of head shots in a combat sense.

from TheAnatomist wrote 1 year 4 days ago

Velociraptors are just ultra quick, ultra slim, coyotes with hollow bones--so knock down power is not the issue, you want a light, accurate rifle which cycles rounds quickly to handle the whole pack (not just one raptor) that is approaching quickly. Any semi-auto .223 could be made to answer, I think. A shotgun isn't lethal enough at a great enough distance to be a valid choice.
As for Deinonychus, you want .30-06 kinetic energy but a bolt action would likely be too slow. A whole pack of deinonychus would close the gap between you and them very very quickly (just like the velociraptor). I vote for a Browning Automatic Rifle.
But what to do with a T-rex? When hunting large predators, knowing the internal anatomy of the animal is the key to an efficient kill. A well placed shot with a .375 to the base of the skull just behind the jaw (assuming a broad side shot, if facing the animal, shoot straight at the back of the mouth) would probably drop the animal as quickly as a knee shot--and may even kill it. But frankly I wouldn't chance the .375 at all--.50 caliber or better would be much more comforting.

from Blue Ox wrote 1 year 5 days ago

I wouldn't need a gun- the cold, soul crushing glare I'd get from the wife would be more than sufficient once she finds out how much I paid for a dino tag...

from jjas wrote 1 year 5 days ago

A couple of questions........

Have all the zombies been killed and we're moving on to dinosaurs now?

What difference does it make what firearm you choose if you can't buy ammo for it?

from jjas wrote 1 year 5 days ago

A couple of questions........

Have all the zombies been killed and we're moving on to dinosaurs now?

from Blue Ox wrote 1 year 5 days ago

from TheAnatomist wrote 1 year 4 days ago

from TheAnatomist wrote 1 year 4 days ago

Oh, and a note about head shots:

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 4 days ago

from Dave Geisert wrote 1 year 4 days ago

To paraphrase Robert Muldoon (Jurassic Park's game warden):

"Clever Boy!" Jack's absolutely correct!