Secure Firearms Act Offers Tax Breaks for Purchasing Gun Safes, Locks

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

May 10, 2013
Secure Firearms Act Offers Tax Breaks for Purchasing Gun Safes, Locks - 7

Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee Chairman John Carter (R-Texas) and fellow HSAS member Henry Cuellar (D-Texas) have introduced the Secure Firearms Act, which would provide up to a $1,200 federal income tax deduction for the purchase of a gun safe, or other safety device, through 2014 as well as prohibit the Internal Revenue Service from using tax deduction claims to produce "any kind of gun ownership registration."

The bill, which has been endorsed by the NRA, Gun Owners of America, and the National Shooting Sports Foundation, was introduced on May 8 into the House and is expected to pass with little opposition.

“The members of America’s firearms industry thank Rep. Carter for his leadership in offering a real bipartisan solution that will help make our families safer,” said Lawrence G. Keane, NSSF Senior Vice President and General Counsel in a May 9 statement. “Helping firearms owners responsibly and safely store their firearms when they are not in use so that they are inaccessible to unauthorized and at-risk individuals provides a practical and proven way to increase the safety of our homes and communities.”

“The most common factor in the mass shootings over the past years is that people who should not have had access to firearms managed to acquire them anyway,” Carter, a former Texas district judge, told the AP.  “We don’t attempt to address all the reasons for that in this bill, but specifically target better security of firearms by law-abiding citizens through incentives, not mandates.”

“As a concealed handgun license holder and strong supporter of 2nd amendment rights, this is a common sense first step towards increasing access for Americans to purchase devices that will prevent the misuse of firearms,"Cuellar said. "While this legislation is not meant to be a ‘fix-all’, this is a bipartisan idea that Congress should immediately act on.  I’m proud to join my fellow Texan and friend, Chairman Carter on this important legislation.”

The bill does not mandate gun owners purchase locks or safes, but some fear it could be a precursor for doing so.

"While laudable, I am concerned that this bill could morph from 'encourage' to 'require,'" writes Randy Rowley, president of a 238-member Fellowship of Christian Sportsmen. "The vast majority of our members, like me, own less than 10 guns.  We can barely afford the cost of ammo (which is ever increasing), much less new guns. If we will be forced to buy a gun safe (which start at $2000), even with your bill’s incentives we could not afford one and would have no alternative other than to sell all of our guns."

This bill, Rowley fears, could be an "effective way of banning guns and, eventually, gun owners."

For more, go to:
-- Firearms industry praises U.S. Rep. John R. Carter for introducing Secure Firearms Act

-- Secure Firearms Act to Reduce Gun Violence Introduced in House

-- Secure Firearms Act

-- A common sense gun bill

-- Firearms Industry Praises U.S. Rep. John R. Carter For Introducing Secure Firearms Act

from Winefly wrote 48 weeks 23 hours ago

I cannot believe there are people against this. I have no automatic weapons but i own a few guns feel safe when they're locked away. mind you I own non of them for self defence. they are all for hunting & NO AUTOMATICS i call it sport

from Jim57 wrote 48 weeks 1 day ago

Seriously, a person can afford the guns to fill a safe but they want the Federal Government to give them $1200 to buy a safe? Another reason the US is $17 Trillion in debt.

from LovesOutdoors wrote 48 weeks 1 day ago

A good gun safe today could cost between two thousand to four thousand dollars. I just bought a Browning safe. I don't have any problem with getting a tax break or a break on my home owners insurance. The safe does stop thieves from stealing your guns and other valuables. A wooden gun case with a glass door is easy pickins for the crooks and robbers who break into your home.

from lumberjack56 wrote 48 weeks 1 day ago

I am a totally legal gun owner, any gun bill will restrict my rights as a legal owner there for I am not in favor of any gun bill unless it STOPS CRIMINAL USE OF GUNS. Most gun bills make criminals out of legit gun owners!

from CharlesMelton wrote 48 weeks 1 day ago

I didn't see a link to the actual wording of the bill. Is this another one of those 'they have to pass it before we can read it bills'?

from tritonrider wrote 48 weeks 2 days ago

We all know that the IRS would never abuse it's power and the information collected for political purposes. I feel perfectly comfortable with the requirement they don't collect and archive data that'll guarantee that they don't break any rules...Sure I do...

from Ram1500 wrote 48 weeks 3 days ago

What comes after they send you a rebate for the safe you purchased. Will they want a list of your firearms and ammo that you are storing in it? Keep the tax deduction. I'll keep my privacy. There is always a politician sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

from Ram1500 wrote 48 weeks 3 days ago