Do You Name Your Guns?

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

January 02, 2014
Do You Name Your Guns? - 10

I have a new rifle in my safe, a sleek left-handed bolt action made by Montana Rifle Company. It’s chambered in .280 Ackley Improved, and because of that designation, and the fact that it flat-out knocks the stuffing out of anything I point it at, I started calling it the “Ack Attack.”

I have a couple other guns that wear nicknames: a Remington 700 Alaska Wilderness Rifle chambered in .30/06 that, because it’s built on Bell & Carlson’s green synthetic stock, is called “Olive,” and a Ruger No. 1 in .243 that I somehow started calling “Roger.”

My buddy Dale Manning has a well-worn Remington 870 that he calls “Meat In the Pot” for its consistent track record of bringing home birds. Another friend calls his Winchester Super X3 the “Duck Fu#%er.”

Is this strange, assigning names to guns? I don’t think so, but I want to hear from you. Do you name your guns? If so, what are their nicknames?

from cowboystl1 wrote 27 weeks 2 days ago

lol everyone should do this we spend hours afield for minutes of action you need to talk to something with a name. my 45-70 is BOB BARKER because of his loud muzzle it barks, my 870 Betty because she bam ba lams, my blacked out Ak-47 is called the Crowed Pleaser,i could go on and on they are all very personal to me.

from hunting jack wrote 27 weeks 5 days ago

I call my first shotgun which is a Remington Model 1100
"Old Faithful"
I call my Excalibur crossbow " Thumper"
I have hunted with each of them for over 30 years and they never let me down.

from jcarlin wrote 28 weeks 23 min ago

Rubrail,

Do you sleep with Buffy?

from jcarlin wrote 28 weeks 26 min ago

I don't think it's strange. Being someone of modest shooting ability I'd feel like it'd be pretentious of me. Maybe if I in any way shape or form earned some notoriety.

On the other hand internally I've definitely think of a Taurus 605 I've had for a good while as the Pointer, it just fits my hand like I'm extending an index finger and hits what I point at it. Of my other firearms.. nothing. I think of them by use or by model. My Savage .270 WSM is just "the deer rifle." It's hard to imagine hanging a name on a Glock for example... though there is one on a popular youtube sight named Gary.

My typing of notoriety just taught me that you've added autocorrect to the webpage. Nice work, that.

from horsethief wrote 28 weeks 17 hours ago

I don't name my rifles, and it is probably a good thing because I would probably forget the name, or names. On the other hand, I understand why someone would name a favorite firearm.

from huntfishtrap wrote 28 weeks 19 hours ago

Yeah, in my opinion, naming guns is silly. But that's just my opinion, and if you want to do it, go ahead.

from Andy Hahn wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

My Marlin bolt-action .17 HMR is called "The Squirrel Eraser."

from Andy Hahn wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

My Marlin bolt-action .17 HMR is called "The Squirrel Eraser."

from Tioughnioga wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

I don't think it's strange, but I do think it's childish -- especially when they're names like the second one chosen by your friend. And as for his first one, that was a pretty common term in the outdoor writing a few decades ago -- except by the writers like Gene Hill who made no secret of their thoughts on what lousy writing it was. (Mr. Hill also pointed out the silliness of always referring to bass as "bucketmouths," woodcock as "bogsuckers," and so on.) Nothing personal against you or your friend. Just my opinion about naming guns.

from Rubrail wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

If anyone grew up on a farm, they probably have the habit of naming just about everything. I have an S&W Model 66 that I call "Buffy"—and it has protected me from vampires for many years...

from Rubrail wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

from hunting jack wrote 27 weeks 5 days ago

I call my first shotgun which is a Remington Model 1100
"Old Faithful"
I call my Excalibur crossbow " Thumper"
I have hunted with each of them for over 30 years and they never let me down.

from Tioughnioga wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

from Andy Hahn wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

My Marlin bolt-action .17 HMR is called "The Squirrel Eraser."

from Andy Hahn wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

My Marlin bolt-action .17 HMR is called "The Squirrel Eraser."

from huntfishtrap wrote 28 weeks 19 hours ago