The Mine-Shaft Lion

Hunting Recent Posts

Hunting

March 30, 2010
The Mine-Shaft Lion - 25

You’re chasing a 180-pound mountain lion, but instead of sticking in the tree, growling at the baying hounds beneath him, the tom leaps from the pine and bounds over the hill.

No big deal. That happens when you’re hunting mountain lions, but this particular tom holes up in the adit of an abandoned mine.

What do you do? Pack a lunch and wait him out? Not if you’re veteran Colorado lion hunter and hound man Dean Hendrickson. In his case, you go right in to the shaft to find the big cat. Watch this video to see the results— like trying to tackle a fullback with claws and 2-inch ivory teeth—but also note that Hendrickson strategically places himself just at the edge of harms way.

Lion hunters are a little like bush pilots. There are veteran pilots, and there are brash pilots, but there are no veteran brash pilots.

Hendrickson appears to me to be a veteran lion hunter.

from SDHunt wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

But yes, I'm gonna have to agree with some of you here, that lion went through a LOT of suffering and they're extremely lucky not to have gotten mauled to death by the wounded lion.

from SDHunt wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Hahaha! wow,dropjhook did your first comment on here get those antis fired up or what!?

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

they didn't make me look bad

from barrett.50 wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Truly Sad. One of the worst "hunting" videos I have ever seen.One should learn how to shoot properly and choose the right cal. before trying this stunt. Not only for the reason of a CLEAN kill to prevent suffering, but as to keep YOUR a$$,or your back up shooter from being mauled by a hurt animal. These boys need some old school lessons as not to make us all look bad.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

wow look at all the antis who showed up for this one!! I remember about 18yrs ago how hard it was to get ahold of any hunting vhs I would search evreywhere for them. I was so amazed at seeing on video other people hunting it didn't matter if the shot was bad or they weren't shooting monsters bucks or bulls it did show me people in other places with other backrounds shared the same passion of hunting as I. Now I think people got to spoiled & forgot how amazing we got it a free hunting video & still theres some still going to complain about it. Any time we hunters give a inch to these antis by becoming critics to legal hunters is a inch in the anti's direction not ours. I missed many times hunting & made my fair share of bad placement shots its just reality but I learnd from them. oh yeah 18yrs later & I still love watching hunting as long as it has some sort of action gota love freedom of choice & thanks for the free hunt!!!!

from Montanagyrene wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

@ badboyr6-Just because you don't agree with what you saw, this does NOT give you the right to POLLUTE this post with your crude comments!! Remember, there is a VERY good possibility that young children might be reading this, so clean it up!!

from Bren Shoemaker wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

While I would consider hunting with dogs as unsporting as it gets,I hesitate to slam those who do,as it has been a lawful means of hunting in this country for more than two centuries.This video only serves to arm the anti-hunters and encourage those who could care less either way to join their ranks.We must ALL consider how we are percieved as hunters if we are to win the hearts and minds of those who do not hunt.These guys are hurting our cause!!!

from badboyr6 wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

I wish a bear would have showed up..then what would happen..u shi-t your pants? exactly!

from badboyr6 wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

www.dropjhook.com-- u sir are a tool!

from badboyr6 wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

ok..what was the point of going after a mountain lion? Do you guys feel like MEN just because you went after a creature that didn't cause you harm? i would understand if the cat was out to hurt you, but noo my little POS dogs found its sent and we are off to kill a lion. What are you guys like 5 years old, just to tell your friend you killed a lion like cowards. FU-CK- if i was that cat i would have ripped all you fools to shreds! you guys deserve to DIE! go FcUk yourselfs! and choke on a DcIK

from JRF wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

Would have loved to see that lion take out all three dogs, and torn the **** out of both or all three of those big bad hunters,as hopalong cassadiche said these are the type of so called hunters that give hunting a bad name, I do not believe in GUN CONTROL but for people like this I do!!!

from JRF wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

As marinesniper said "takes alot of bigones to go in" NOT! Tunnel Rats in Viet-Nam had big ones, these guys are the reason I DO NOT hunt anymore, unless I am in need of food. I used to see these People from Texas come up to New Mexico and what they called HUNTING, Right! All they had to do is un tie the knot.

from ndhill wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

What a poor excuse for a hunt. NOT a clean kill, but a good example of how to make an animal suffer. This is a stain on hunters... YOU GUYS NEED SOME RANGE TIME!

from hopalong cassadiche wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

This is a disgrace. Why would one post a video depicting horrendous shooting thereby causing suffering to an animal. This guy is a horrible shot and gives hunters a bad rap.

from Buffalo Wild Wings wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

That is crazy. If he would have come after one of them, those pistols would have worked eventually but only after one of them would have been mangled pretty bad. Did not look like a hospital was a close option either. I feel smarter after seeing that!! :)

from MARINESNIPER44 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Takes a lot of balls to go in that cave.

from meadow wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Ugly, ugly, ugly. This is not something of which to be proud.

from krenb wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Henderson is a sadist and a moron. Doesn't he have anything better to do then slaughter a helpless animal.

VERY CRUEL.

from Flatbed wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I have done some crazy stunts in my life, but that is insane!

from MazPower wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Serious rush!! Can you imagine sneaking up and peeking around the corner not know where that cat is??

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

These guys need a lot more range time before hunting again. Also training in ballistics so they can better choose the right gun for the job.

Missing that many times at 5 feet is embarrassing. :-(

Videos like this put a stain on all hunters. :-({
later,
charlie

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

man that had to be a rush what to do for a encore.i know climb the tree and grab the lion by the tail!

from Yoda wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Very cool video

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

amazingly he got some on film what a rear moment. Thank you that was fun to watch!!

from Bo wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Just a little adrenaline there, huh? That is pretty cool. I would try for one, but I would be interested in knowing what size gun they were shooting, I want a bigger one.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Missing that many times at 5 feet is embarrassing. :-(

Videos like this put a stain on all hunters. :-({
later,
charlie

from Flatbed wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I have done some crazy stunts in my life, but that is insane!

from krenb wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

VERY CRUEL.

from meadow wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Ugly, ugly, ugly. This is not something of which to be proud.

from hopalong cassadiche wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from ndhill wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

from Bren Shoemaker wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from Montanagyrene wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from Bo wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from MARINESNIPER44 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Takes a lot of balls to go in that cave.

from Buffalo Wild Wings wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from Yoda wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Very cool video

from MazPower wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from JRF wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from barrett.50 wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

they didn't make me look bad

from SDHunt wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from SDHunt wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from JRF wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

from badboyr6 wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

www.dropjhook.com-- u sir are a tool!

from badboyr6 wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago