Is the .308 a Suitable Elk Hunting Round?

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

March 07, 2012
Is the .308 a Suitable Elk Hunting Round? - 29

An Outdoor Life reader recently sent in this question:

I’m getting a new Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .308 Win. I love to deer hunt, but I might also get the chance to hunt elk in the future. Can the .308 take on elk or should I bring along something bigger?

Here's my response:

Good choice on your rifle. Ruger has done much to enhance the accuracy of its rifles in recent years by improving its barrels and using better triggers, so your M77 should serve you well.

It wasn’t that long ago that a .308 Win. would have been considered on the margins as an acceptable elk round, but with improvements to bullet design and cartridge technology, you have no need to worry. Premium bullets such as the Nosler AccuBond, Winchester XP3, Barnes TSX, and other bonded or monolithic designs deliver both the accuracy and penetration required for larger game. Use one of these loads and place your bullet in the right spot, and the bull will be yours.

For more, go to: The 20 Best Elk Hunting Rifles Ever Made

from avturk wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Yak yak yak ... know your rifle, know your range, know your limitations and take your shot (or not). If you are taking 600 yard shots at game you should have your a$$ kicked.

from sfward1967 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

I certainly know humans have been killing elk since at least 1968 when Alonzo Winters killed the world record bull in the Black River drainage in Arizona with, guess what? A Savage Model 99 in .308 Winchester.

from CCMJS wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

A .500 super ultra magnum! I've got to get one.

from sarg wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Sorry guys about the double post, didn't thing my computer was working.

from sarg wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

If I were to go out west, and hunt in some areas where some of you guys hunt, I may go with something other than a .308, but only because it would be a good excuse to buy another Rifle. I realy believe the .308 would be quite capabnle of taking elk. Here in Eastern Ky. some people use the .308 or 30-06 while others will use the .300Win Mag. But range will be at 100-200 yds .why shoot a cannon at these ranges. A whopper elk was taken here in Ky. last year with a .30-06 which the .308 will equal with bullets up to 165-175 gr. My neighbor used a .300Win Mag this year on deer here in Ky. at 100 yds. I would have carried it if it were given me. I shot it at the zero range and it was not any more accurate than my Rem 700 in .308 .

from sarg wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

I agree with you, Tritonrider, I use a Rem 700ADL in .308 and have since I bought it in 1983. My neighbor shoots a .300 Win. Mag. here in Ky. at ranges from. 70-100 yds????I have never shot a deer more than 75-100 yds, never run one down or shoot,shooot ,shoot at one. If I were to hunt Elk here in Eastern Ky. ,I would use my .308...

from Bob Hansen wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Hi...

Boy, what interesting and experienced input regarding this question...!!

Not much more that I can say...just have to agree that with today's modern loads, the .308 is a good elk gun.

from 268bull wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

600 yd. shot's? Personally, I admit that I wouldn't know how to handle a shot at that distance. I hunt Roosevelt elk here in the low elevation jungles of western Oregon. I hunt with a Rem. 760 Gamemaster, in the .270 caliber, am now using Winchester XP-3, 150 grn. and based on last fall's kill. It was devastating. So what am I saying? Yes, I believe that the .308 will confidently kill elk. Most importantly, Know your rifle's capabilities, use good ammo, and shot placement. I've filled 7 bull tags over the course of the years I've hunted elk. Not many, I realize, by other's, but on Oregon's west side, that's beatin' the odd's, and never had one go more than 100 yds. Enjoy your .308.

from Tomsd wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Oh yes, we used to use a .22 when butchering the steers, would shot them just above/between the eyes. But once - my dad didn't hit it right - and it went tearing through barb wire fences like you never saw. Saw thereafter - we used the .32 special to dispatch them. :)

from Tomsd wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Hey - Great comments above. Love these threads.

When I grew up in the 50's in Southern Oregon - most people used a 30-30 for everything, and if you were "upscale" - you might have had a 300 Savage or a bolt action 30-06 (we had a sporterized 1903 Springfield). We also had a Model 94 Winchester in .32 special - with a 4 power fixed Weaver scope - which I usually carried in the brush/timber. I never thought I was undergunned - and I was a good shot - although I never did take an Elk - but others did with 30-30'. It's all about shot placement - but I do like using the Odd-Six nowadays and 180 grain bullets - but a 165 grain - properly placed from a 308 will do the job. Actually - my Benjamin pump pellet gun did pretty good work on small critters - if you hit 'em right. :)

from wrightchrisj wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Okay, it is time to clean up some of the nonsense about which rounds to use and what is acceptable and not acceptable for Elk Hunting. First of all let's just call BS on all the magnum talk. Magnum is Latin for 'too much recoil', and we all know that too much recoil destroys accuracy. Accuracy is the key to killing an animal. Properly placed the .22 can kill all game on the North American Continent. But lets be a reasonable here, we probably can not get the muzzle right behind the animal's ear, so let's talk about the two important things in proper and ethical hunting.
1. Proper shot placement comes from taking a good shot. Shooting from 1000 yds with a .500 super ultra mag, and hitting the animal in the foot, killing it due to shock is not hunting. For most hunters an ethical shot is out to two hundred yards (maybe three hundred if you practice at that distance), and a broad side or quarterly shot. If you do not have that shot wait until you have that shot, if not, don't shoot.
2. Use a quality bullet, especially if your bullet speed in over 2800 fps. High speeds fragment low quality bullets.

Follow these two rules and anything from a .25-06 on up is enough gun to kill your game, Elk or Deer.

CJ

from RonCooley wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Yes, a .308 can kill an elk if everything works right and your range isn't long. Then again, if something isn't right, or the range is a little long, you are apt to have a wounded elk that you MIGHT eventually recover. I care too much for the elk, and pay too much for a hunt, to gamble my hunt on a mediocre round. I'll show up with AT LEAST a .300 Weatherby mag & recommend others cary at least a .300 mag of some variety. The .338 mags are optimal elk rounds but many find the recoil more than they can be comfortable with.

Now if you have found the .308 is the most rifle you can handle, don't quit hunting. Just understand that a .308 will not push a bulled through a lot of muscle & bone so your shots MUST be well-placed, and from inside 200 yards to assure a quick & humane kill.

from 25-06 guy wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Shot placement! The 308 is a great caliber.

from MOOSE wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

No doubt the 308 is a great round but there are better choices for elk. If you want to stay with 30 caliber then a 30-06 or a 300win mag would be a better choice. If it doesn't really matter then 270win or 7mm rem mag would be great. Regardless if your a former navy seal sniper or not the 308 on elk will not dump them where they stand. I've seen a few shots put on elk with 308's and in every case it required tracking. The shots were all broadside and in the vitals. Dead on their feet basically. When I drop money on an elk hunt I'm not trying to use an approved round near the bottom of the performance spectrum but one that I'm comfortable with and something that is a proven round with a long track record of success. Someone said they were shooting a 308 at 600 yards on game! Maybe I misunderstood but that is kind of unbelievable for that cartridge on elk size game. My family and I have used 270win/30-06/7mm rem mag/300 win mag with great success. I have a 308 and it is wonderful on deer. The people complaining about magnum recoil often forget to mention that they are recoil sensitive. Nothing wrong with that. Don't let them detour you from choosing a suitable and formidable round for elk though. If you are recoil sensitive try on a 270, 7mm rem mag, 30-06. These are very mild and have contributed to many more kills. The 06' has killed almost as much as all others combined. Look at some state data records and see how many elk were harvested with the 308. I've looked it's not many. If you were in the market to buy a new truck and you tow frequently with trailers, 5th wheels and such would you say that new engine designs have greatly increased horsepower of newer trucks or would you just by a 3/4 ton with heavy payload and slightly larger engine plant. Sure the 1/2 ton will do it but for how long before something goes wrong. Get the right tool for the job. Choosing a round for elk hunting is no different.
Good luck. Take care folks

from sarg wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

well said GoldToyBox, Along time ago all your gun writers always said, that A truely good hunting bullet was one that would enter an animal, retain it's mass, mushroom to twice it's size, BUT not exit . I agree with them his exiting came about when people began shooting bullets with much more speed and weight than was necessary. Not realy a good replacement for a proper hit. and yes, the .308 is quite capable out to 300-500 yds..

from Rick Hockaday wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

The .308 is a very capable round for elk or mule deer. I have used my Remington 600 for 20+ years without any problems out to 600 yards. Shot placement counts for every caliber unless you like chasing wounded animals. My daughter just killed a 5x6 bull this last fall with a .308. 2 of my kids hunt with the same caliber and they have had great success with this little tack driver. I hand load for them and my youngest son hunt with the same loads I use. Don't under estimate the .308 cause I had a guy that guides for Canadian Brown bears try to purchase my 600. That says something about the cartridge.

from Stephen Fowler wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

looking at getting the tc venture thye have it on sale here in the 308 round im going to on a mule deer hunt in s. dakota otr wyoming thiss yr. my 1st ok. is this a good choice in rifles and round

from bhenrys wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

After 40 years of packing around big, heavy rifles, I've come to the conclusion that it's more important IMHO to know your rifle better than well by shooting it often, know the ballistics of the cartridge you are shooting and operate within those bounds.
I began shooting a BBR .270 wsm using federal premium ammo with 130gn Barnes tsx and couldn't be happier with the performance. One shot kills at 200 plus yards on elk...all the way thru

from GoldToyBox wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Like everyone else has stated the .308 is able to take down Elk. The only reservation I might bring into the conversation is what distances are we talking about? I've killed elk with the 308 while hunting the "dog hair" in Montana, with a long shot being a 100 yds there. But in N/W Colorado it much more open country and the norm might be closer to 300+ yds. So you might want to check out your terrian first.
As for the remark about shooting all the way through an Elk, humm. I've killed cows, spikes, & bulls with .54 & .58 muzzleloaders, .308, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 win mag and have yet to punch a hole out the other side. Close a couple times, found bullets at the hide on the opposite side. Note; of course I've seen other folks do it, just not me ......... yet.

from David Swann wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

The 308 Winchester is a fine Elk cartridge at respectable hunting ranges. Find some ammo that shoots accurately in your rifle, practise with it and use it hunting. Don't worry about "premium" bullets unless you intend to shoot an Elk from butt to chin. If the ammo costs too much to practise with on the range and it isn't accurate in your rifle then even firing a rocket propelled grenade isn't going to help.

from coryarola.photo... wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

With modern bullet technologies and placing the shot in the right place any caliber with be sufficient. I use and old Savage 99 in .308 with 168gr Barnes TSX and feel confident I could take any North American game, minus the large bears.

from bberg7794 wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Great elk round for normal range hunting.

from Daniel Marx wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Great round for Elk. I have my TC set up for ELK in the 308. I kill them with a bow and arrow...enough said.

from chaszman wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

I killed one at over 300 yards with ten year old off the shelf ammunition, one shot. .308 kills. Can you?

from tritonrider wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

No No No! Haven't you been reading all the latest articles for the last 15 years??? You need a Super Magnum, 3lb, at least $5000, custom shoulderbuster firing depleted uranium at light speed or really close.
Forget all those old stories from the magazines and those old farmers, and ridgerunners who just used an old '06 or 30-30 or some such nonsense. It was impossible to kill elk, almost impossible to kill deer, and damned tough to bring down squirrels with what they used to claim to use.
For squirrels go with the 10 gauge with laser sights and 00 buck or a new "ultra" slug. They've gotten much tougher the last few years.
Oh yeah, tactical would help.

from gloomhound wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Dude a .243 will shoot clean through a elk length wise of course a .308 is a good elk round. Anyone telling you different is either misinformed or trying to sell you something.

from JM wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

My grandpa killed over 20 elk with a .30-30 and off the shelf ammo. Of course a .308 can get the job done.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

The 308 would always have qualified as an elk round in my opinion. Like anything else you would need to pick your range and the shot you would be taking. How many have been taken with 30-30's, 35 Rem, and even the 250 Savage? Modern high quality bullets just allow more flexibility in the shots you can take.

from X2DKkiller wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

A 308 with a good 165 or 180 will work for elk, I would use a Barnes or Nosler Partion. Just keep it the range to about 400yrds.

from X2DKkiller wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

from MOOSE wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Good luck. Take care folks

from 25-06 guy wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Shot placement! The 308 is a great caliber.

from wrightchrisj wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

CJ

from JM wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

from tritonrider wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Oh yeah, tactical would help.

from David Swann wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

from GoldToyBox wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

from sfward1967 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from bberg7794 wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Great elk round for normal range hunting.

from coryarola.photo... wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

from sarg wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

from Bob Hansen wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Hi...

Boy, what interesting and experienced input regarding this question...!!

from sarg wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

from CCMJS wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

A .500 super ultra magnum! I've got to get one.

from Daniel Marx wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

from Rick Hockaday wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

from Tomsd wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Hey - Great comments above. Love these threads.

from 268bull wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

from sarg wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Sorry guys about the double post, didn't thing my computer was working.

from avturk wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago