Realtree Introduces New 'Xtra' Camo Pattern, Will You Wear It?

Hunting Recent Posts

Hunting

January 02, 2013
Realtree Introduces New 'Xtra' Camo Pattern, Will You Wear It? - 6

With the trend in camouflage in recent years skewing digital, I figured it was just a matter of time before one of the two old stick-and-leaf pattern masters, Realtree or Mossy Oak, came out with their own digital version. So you can imagine my surprise when a release for the new Realtree Xtra (left) and Xtra Green (right) patterns just showed up in my inbox.

Rather than comprising a bunch of oddly arranged geometrical shapes, these new patterns adhere to Realtree’s roots…and their limbs and trunks and leaves. In fact, to my eye anyway, they look quite similar to Realtree’s last big camo launches: AP and APG. Like those patterns, the new Xtra patterns combine plenty of open space and high-contrast natural elements. The company claims that Xtra, “blends best from the leaf change of fall through winter, then again in early spring before green-out,” and Xtra Green should be used, “from early fall bowhunting, muzzle loading and gun seasons until the leaves change, and then again from mid to late spring.”

Personally, I think the best way to hide oneself from game is to sit still, but I’m eager to hear what the camo aficianados think of these new patterns. Either way, you better get used to seeing Xtra and Xtra Green, because with 1,500 Realtree licensees out there, this stuff is going to be everywhere soon.

from ShellCracker wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

I don't wear camo anymore. I can't believe I used to be so silly as to wear camo clothes with a giant orange vest over them and then sit either in a tree or in a ground blind. I just wear tan cargo pants and a warm orange jacket. Western camo is even a bigger joke to me. At far distances you look like a dark blob anyway. If a deer is close enough to even make out a camo pattern you should have already fired or loosed an arrow anyway. I have worn blue jeans and an orange sweatshirt and have had deer come into bow range for a shot. They barely see color. They see movement. Get downwind, sit still or hide behind a tree or a rock and you are good to go.

from Bob Hansen wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Hi...

I think HFT is right on. Remember...deer can easily sense movement, and can also see some colors (green and yellow).

The only people reaping REAL benefits from camo are the manufacturers/dealers, and snipers...!! And, I'll concede that duck hunters are also in that group.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Thanks DSM, it seems to come in cycles, one week all my comments will be getting +1s, the next all -1s. Kind of weird...

from MNwhitetailHunter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

i dont think there is a really big difference. the only game hunters really need camo for is birds. other than that all camo is pretty much the same.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

I will probably end up with some eventually but I can't go out a buy new everytime a new pattern or production development comes along. I see huntfishtrap is now on the
-1 list. I gave you a plus to negate it.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Camo is overrated for deer hunting, if it was such a big deal, how could our ancestors have killed any?

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

-1 list. I gave you a plus to negate it.

from MNwhitetailHunter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago