Tom Jennings 'Mr. Compound Bow' Passes Away

Hunting Recent Posts

Hunting

February 28, 2013
Tom Jennings 'Mr. Compound Bow' Passes Away - 5

Tom Jennings, otherwise known as "Mr. Compound Bow," passed away on February 25th. Mr. Jennings was 88. Tom's love affair with archery began early, building his first recurve when he was just 12.

Throughout his life, Jennings was known as an innovator. Jennings was one of the first to recognize the potential of Holless Wilbur Allen's original compound bow design.

As such, Jennings purchased the first license to Allen's patent and is credited as the first to mass produce compound bows.

Jennings' original designs were 2- or 4-wheel models and became the early industry standard for quality, innovation, and performance. Jennings, the quintessential marketer and tireless educator, turned early animosity by traditional archers against the compound bow, into an acceptance and love affair with the compound. As such, the modern compound bow industry was born.

Jennings was inducted into the Archery Hall of Fame in 1999. He was a lifetime member of the National Field Archery Association and had numerous patents for compound bow improvements from the US Patent and Trademark Office.

If you still have an original Jennings bow, we'd love to hear about it in the comments.

from Ankun Fang wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

Thank you Mr.Jennings.
A new generation has arrived to continue this awesome sport.

from outdoorsexperience wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

I just search over Google Found this topic glad to know that you are a lifetime member of the National Field Archery Association and had numerous patents for compound bow improvements from the US Patent and Trademark Office. thanks a lot for sharing it.

from Lawrence W. Osman wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

I met Tom a few times. He always remembered my white black bear taken with a Jennings bow in Alberta. He said it must have been cross bred with a polar bear. One of archery's finest, he will be missed.

from damo450 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Jennings bows were what my local small town shop carried for 20+ years. So thats what we all shot. I used a carbon extreme to tackle my first venture into 3-D shooting. Then for a short time when to Martin and back to jennings again. A single cam machined extreme put me on the podium in countless tournaments and several triple crowns. I will always have a soft spot for the Jennings name. And I still have my original carbon extreme XLR. Silver limbs, cherry red riser. It was a world beater in my young eyes.

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

I took my first whitetail with a Jennings in the 1980s. I still have it in the garage. The bow that is, not the deer.

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from damo450 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from Lawrence W. Osman wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from outdoorsexperience wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from Ankun Fang wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

Thank you Mr.Jennings.
A new generation has arrived to continue this awesome sport.