Live Hunt: How to Debone an Elk

Live Hunt Blog Posts

Live Hunt

September 23, 2011
Live Hunt: How to Debone an Elk - 7

The video is pretty self explanatory and covers the “meat and potatoes” of deboning an elk, so here a few things I didn't have a chance to talk about in the field. These 10 tips will make the field dressing and deboning process a lot easier.

1) Make sure that you have all the equipment needed to track and take care of an elk inside your pack at all times (knife, rope, game bags, marking ribbon). That way you save a trip back to camp and wasted miles on your feet.

2) Keep a few trash bags in your pack at all times. They will help keep the blood off of your pack, but they also come in handy if you need to drop the meat in a creek to keep it cool.

3) Make sure to study up on all local game regulations about deboning, proof of sex and the amount of meat that needs to be taken out of the woods. For example; in the state of Colorado proof of sex must be kept on part of the meat or one of the rear quarters at all times.

4) Get the meat cooled off as fast as you can! I was lucky in both of my elk kills this year with cool weather, but if you don’t experience such luck, do everything possible to get the meat hung up and cooled off quickly.

5) Whenever you make cuts through the hair, try to go with the grain. This will keep the mess down to a minimum.

6) When you’re cutting chunks of meat of off the quarters, don’t get too hung up on getting every last scrap during the main process. I always come back and do a good “once over” to get the scraps I missed the first time after I’ve gotten the majority of the meat off of the animal.

7) If you have bear issues in the area, separate the meat in smaller portion game bags and hang it as high as you can! If that’s not an option, hang the bags off a cliff or rock wall.

8) Use an emergency space blanket or garbage bag to set the meat on during the deboning process. After you’ve done it a few times this won’t be needed, but at first you’ll probably have the meat covered in dirt and grass.

9) Learn how to take apart an elk without using a saw. Saws are heavy and take up a lot of space. I can get an elk broken down with just a Havalon knife in less than 90 minutes.

10) Separate the meat in each game bag in accordance with the amount of weight you can actually carry. This will keep you from swapping meat from one bag to another.

Over the last several years I have been able to try out several different pieces of equipment for taking care of game in the wilderness. Here is a list of items that I use.

- Kifaru Game Bags
- Caribou Game Bags
- T.A.G.S Game Bags
- Havalon Knives
- 1 roll of orange ribbon
- 100 ft of 550 cord
- 3 contractor grade garbage bags
- 5 feet of high quality duct tape or gorilla tape

from JM1993 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

We quartered a goat like this when me and a buddy spent 3 nights hunting in the mountains.

from Aron Snyder wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

The orange ribbon is used for blood trailing, but it's also a good idea to wrap your antlers with ribbon for safety reasons.

from Aron Snyder wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Hey Larry,

I don't use all 3 of those bags at the same time, but suggest those 3 brands for backpack hunting (sorry if I did not explain that well enough). The duct tape is used when you cut your finger when de boning...it seems to happen sooner or later.

from Larry Schwartz wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

Aron,

Can you explain what you use each of the items in the list at the bottom of your blog for? For example, why do you use/need three different kinds of game bags, and what is the duct tape for?

Thanks,

Larry

from goatbill wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Excellent method for those who carrie out the meat. I've used this system for many years now; but a I still learned some refinements from Aron in this video. I watched a newby try this method this year and had to keep telling him that the first time is not perfection, and to not worry about any small mistakes. You just can't do it to wrong; and this should get everyone started. Your back will be thankfull.
Bye the bye, If you don't own a Havalon; go get one.
Aron told me about it so I got One and I now have Five other hunters who will get there own.
We butchered and packaged an Elk and Bear, and the Havalon out performed everyones sharpest best cutting tool. I was lucky to get my knife back. You can easily replace a dull or broken blade in the field with a pocket knife.
Everything from the top down is valuable information for the self, One Man in the Mountain Hunter.

from jbirdhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

nice video. you"ll have to show me hoe to get the back staps in nebraska.

from montananative wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Great video. I've heard of doing it this way, but never tried myself. Hopefully I'll get the chance this year.

from montananative wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from jbirdhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

nice video. you"ll have to show me hoe to get the back staps in nebraska.

from goatbill wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Bye the bye, If you don't own a Havalon; go get one.

from Larry Schwartz wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago