Long-Range Archery Shot: 100 Yards With a Recurve Bow

Live Hunt Blog Posts

Live Hunt

August 15, 2012
Long-Range Archery Shot: 100 Yards With a Recurve Bow - 8

Modern compound bows are making shots of over 100 yards not only a reality, but something of a regularity. I'm not really into compound bows, but I wanted to see if I could shoot at those super long ranges with my recurve.

Shooting heavier arrows at significantly slower speeds than most modern compounds produce, I knew I would have to hold way over the target, but I wasn't sure how far. To further complicate things, I don't use sights, so it would have to be totally instinctive.

I started off by holding about 15 feet above the target, but my arrows were falling 15 yards short. By the time I got it close to figured out, I was holding nearly 30 feet above the back of the target! It's pretty amazing how dramatically arrows start to drop off at that range. Adding to the challenge of shooting with a recurve, there is no let-off and no help from a mechanical release.

These factors make it extremely difficult to maintain consistency in release to allow for an ethical hunting shot, but it's a lot of fun to try in a controlled environment (like my the backyard), and I actually managed to hit the target with one shot out of about 20!

from Carl D Black Jr wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

I have been looking for a "long range bow" to take out west next year. I love the comments that stress the practice it takes. BUT....you always have people who saw "Joe" take a long range shot and the animal ran off injured. Guess what? I've dropped squirrels dead at 60 yards with full choke 1 oz #6 (12 gauge), and had some at 10-20 yards take a blast and make it to a nest. My point is this, just because YOU can't do it doesn't mean it's not possible. You shoot at YOUR comfort level. Why knock a man down for posting a RESPONSIBLE comment?

from Ishi wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

Long range practice is great for the bow hunter.

100 yards? I will let you know tomorrow how many shots it takes me to hit the target.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

What is up with all of the uninformed idiots trolling around Tyler's blog?
It seems like every other article he posts has somebody ripping him for some imagined offense.

from JM wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

interangler,
He stated this was just for fun. Try reading the article before complaining.

from interangler wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

What excatly is the message here? Sure people are making 100-yard shots with archery equipment, but for every one that goes right, 5 of them go terribly wrong.I was on a archery antelope hunt with a buddy a couple weekends ago and he ended up shooting a buck through both hindquarters (at 97 yards) because a puff of wind caught his arrow just at the last second. It took the animal over three hours to die and the end played out like a scene from Mad Max. My buddy felt terrible. It was a painful lesson learned. He became overconfident in the ability of his weapon.I find gut shot elk and deer all over my woods each year and it makes me sick to my stomach.Sensless wanton waste caused by overconfident "shooters" with no sense or skill.Folks, the longer your shot, the more that can and will go wrong. Long shots with a bow or a rifle are both unethical and downright cowardly. Man up, use your skills to get close and make a quick clean kill. Let's collectively stop buying into this media-hyped bullshit (see "Lond Distance Solutions" Swaroski advertizment flashing above) where high tech gear enables those with poor skills the confidence to cast ethics aside and wound a bunch of animals...

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

Try 200 yards next week. I triple dog dare you, with no tag backs.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

I doubt I could do it with 12 arrows. I have hunted with a compound for many years and am getting the itch to limber up my Bear Grizzly I got back in te 70's.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

Hehe Tyler, the only thing I want to know is how many arrows you lost in those tall weeds, you sure were slingin' a lot in there...lol.
Seriously though, now I understand why in old paintings of medieval archers in battle they're always tilting their longbows up at a 45% angle.

from JM wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

interangler,
He stated this was just for fun. Try reading the article before complaining.

from Carl D Black Jr wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

from interangler wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

What is up with all of the uninformed idiots trolling around Tyler's blog?

from Ishi wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

Long range practice is great for the bow hunter.

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

Try 200 yards next week. I triple dog dare you, with no tag backs.