Live Hunt Video: Dall Sheep in the Brooks Range, Day 4

Live Hunt Blog Posts

Live Hunt

October 10, 2012
Live Hunt Video: Dall Sheep in the Brooks Range, Day 4 - 8

It’s bound to happen eventually, that hunt that makes you wonder if someone has put a voodoo curse on you. This year’s sheep hunt, normally my comfort zone, had quickly turned into a nightmare. After things completely fell apart and I missed a beautiful ram, we put a stalk on an even bigger one. We were already discussing how we were going to pack him out, only to have him give us the slip when the deal was all but done. Having no choice but to forge ahead, we once again shouldered our packs. It took us several hours to work our way back uphill and into a saddle that dropped into a different river drainage.

As we eased our way into the saddle, we had to be careful. With every step we took across the top, more sheep came into view. They seemed to be everywhere. We had to slowly creep along, evaluating every ram that appeared as we made our way over the horizon. After watching one group of rams for about 20 minutes, we crept even farther so that we could see the steep slope directly below us. I was elated when we spotted the tight-curled ram that I had missed two nights earlier. He was 500 yards below us, feeding across a creek and up a grassy draw.

We had managed to find the ram again, but the valley was packed with more than 200 other sheep. They were everywhere! There were sheep to the left, to the right, above, and below us. We had a group of ewes and lambs walk within 50 yards of us. With so many sheep in the valley, there was no way to put a stalk on the ram. The only option was to sit tight up in the saddle and wait.

Over the course of several hours sitting there in all my clothes, rain gear, and sleeping bag just to stay warm in the wind, pretty much all of the sheep worked their way into and across that grassy draw and began to bed down in the same area for the night. We decided that this could be my opportunity. With darkness approaching fast, we carefully pegged exactly where that ram was bedded and waited. At about 11 pm, as it was really starting to get dark, Gary and I took off on the short but exposed stalk. Fortunately for us, sheep don’t see well in the dark, and half of them were already asleep. We quickly made our way across the hill, but spooked two rams that were below us. As the rams took off, all the other sheep, including my ram, stood up. They couldn’t see us, but they could see the spooking rams. Before they could move and get mixed up, I laid down and dropped the ram at 400 yards.

It was such a relief to finally take that sheep, especially after having missed him and spooked another. After I missed that ram I more or less wrote him off, thinking I’d never see him again. He ended up being not as big as I thought—because his curl is so tight—but he’s a trophy nonetheless.

from tylerfreel85 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

thanks...he only measured 34 x 12 1/2...so not a big one by any means...but very pretty

from tharings wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

You are right, he sure is pretty. The ones that flare way out wide like that are cool looking ones. What are his actual dimensions?

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

I always appreciate the fact that Tyler answers the questions asked about his blog.

from tylerfreel85 wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

thanks! and to answer ya, it's a remington 700 in .25-06. the white stuff is electrical tape. I always keep it on my muzzle and just shoot through it. i also keep extra wrapped around the barrel just in front of the stock...white was the only roll i could scrounge around the house before i left! :)

from marksman wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

Same question as birddog. What gun and caliber? Also wondering the "white" marks on the barrel just forward of the stock and at the muzzle?

Love to read your stories and watch videos. Next best thing to being there. Keep it up.

from MazPower wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

Great stuff as always Tyler. Glad you were able to close the deal.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

I'm just curious what rifle you are using? As close as I can tell from the video it is a remington. can you help us out? Thanks, Tyler.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

Good, job, Tyler. Quite an adventure.

from MazPower wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

Great stuff as always Tyler. Glad you were able to close the deal.

from tylerfreel85 wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

Good, job, Tyler. Quite an adventure.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago