Mountain Lion Sighting in Delaware

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

November 11, 2010
Mountain Lion Sighting in Delaware - 3

For years mountain lions have been popping up in the Midwest and Northeast outside of their normal home ranges. Now police are investigating a lion sighting in Pike Creek, Delaware, which is located just 41 miles southwest of Philadelphia.

A 45-year-old man was walking his dog just after midnight on Wednesday when he spotted a cougar watching him from beneath a tree. The man's dog began acting strangely and tried to pull him toward a nearby wooded area. That's when the man spotted the lion, according to msn.com.

The lion watched the man for a few minutes and made a high-pitched growl before eventually slinking off into the woods. The man called the police who searched the area but found no sign of the animal.

Moutain lions are known for their reclusiveness and large territory ranges. Male lions have been known to live on territories that span 386 square miles.

Since 1997 there have been a few reported cougar sightings in Maine and New Hampshire, however wildlife experts are hesitant to say that there is an established mountain lion population in the Northeast.

What do you think Newshound fans? Are mountain lions back in the Northeast?

Photo: Art G

Read more here.

from shadowram wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Turns out what I thought was a mountain lion scream was really a very large, well fed red fox - about 40 lbs or so. Seems he and his mate have made a den in a wooded area across the street. Feel rather silly now, but to an untrained ear with only sound recordings found on the internet to go by - it sure sounded like a mountain lion. So, now I am treated nightly to his calls and he is incredibly loud.

from shadowram wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Had googled "mountain lions in De" to find this site after two nights of hearing these ungodly screams around 0230. I live at the end of the Golf Course off McKennans Church Rd. in Pike Creek. May 24th and May 25 were the dates of the episodes.On May 24th I had heard two of the screams and thinking one of my cats were injured I went outside - My one male cat flew into the doorway, terrified and my other cats within the house were all on high alert.I went outside with a flashlight and found my neighbors cat a very aggressive but friendly Bengal huddling near my car. I brought him inside and he as well seemed unusually timid.On the 2nd night, May 25, at about the same time I again heard the scream, this time more distinct and closer - Again my male cat came barreling in the door as I opened it and I heard the same scream again from just across my driveway followed by a yelp. I immediately went to You tube to research cat sounds and the mountain lion sound that had been recorded on You Tube was unmistakeably the same sound that I had just heard.

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

About 6 years ago a co-worker of mine from Norther Delaware came in with pictures of his porch with arterial spray all over it, the top half of a fox, and pictures and a cast of a mountain lion track taken from the snow by his front step. He didn't get his camera immediately upon hearing the ruckus, but saw the cat. I've had two reliable friends here in Eastern, PA tell me of their sightings 2 and 4 years ago as well.

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago