Mitt Romney Talks About Hunting in an Attempt To Connect With Voters

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

March 14, 2012
Mitt Romney Talks About Hunting in an Attempt To Connect With Voters - 3

As Mitt Romney worked his way through southern state primaries, the former Massachusetts governor's hunting experience kept popping up.

For the record, Romney is not a master outdoorsman. According AL.com, he told comedian Jeff Foxworthy: "I am looking forward to going hunting with you sometime … And you can actually show me which end of the rifle to point."

Earlier this year Romney made a strange comment about his hunting experience, perhaps, illustrating his inexperience: "I'm not a big-game hunter. I've made that very clear," he said. "I've always been a rodent and rabbit hunter. Small varmints, if you will. I began when I was 15 or so and I have hunted those kinds of varmints since then. More than two times."

Is it really important for Romney, or any other candidate for that matter, to be an avid hunter? Maybe not. But it is important for hunting, fishing, Second Amendment rights and conservation to remain a central part of the political conversation.

from tritonrider wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Reading here www goal org/newspages/romney html

The Romney Record

A Look at Governor Mitt Romney's Record as Governor of Massachusetts as it Relates to the Gun Owners and Sportsmen of Our State

Prepared by: Gun Owners’ Action League (GOAL) - February 2007

from peteyraymond wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

I am not convinced Mitt Romney is as pro-gun as he wants us to believe. He's flip-flopped his stance, exaggerated his hunting experiences, and I believe he's too willing to compromise on gun rights. He is, however, a more acceptable alternative to Obama.

from Andrew Ferraro wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Mitt has consistently backed 2nd Amendment rights and supported hunting and fishing. Not everyone has to hunt or shot to recognize our rights to enjoy those activities. Bill Clinton was always good at connecting with people and posed for many duck hunting photos- then supported a law that banned one of the shot guns he posed with. Any Republican will be better than Obama on these issues. The only one with a chance to win is Romney.

from Andrew Ferraro wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago