Dumb Move of the Week: Kiwi Angler Surfs on Dead Shark

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

May 02, 2012
Dumb Move of the Week: Kiwi Angler Surfs on Dead Shark - 9

Eddie Bithell didn’t just throw the unwritten rule of treating every animal with respect out the window. He threw it behind a boat and surfed on it.

Bithell and several friends were angling for swordfish in the Western Bay of Plenty off New Zealand when they accidentally hooked into a thresher shark. Group member and boat owner Zane Wright told the Otago Daily Times, "We usually send them on their way but this one was hooked in the tail and it ended up drowning, which is unfortunate. There is nothing we could have done about it. We've had people say you could have cut the line if you suspected it was shark, but it's not what I do, I don't want to leave sharks swimming around with metres of line in them.''

The group brought the shark to shore where they left it overnight. The next day they towed the shark back into the ocean to “feed it into the food chain,” according to the Daily Times. It was on this return trip that Bithell for some reason decided to surf the shark. The incident was filmed by and later posted on Facebook by group member Mark Collins.

The filmed stupidity spread across the Internet like wildfire. The following anger spread just as fast, something Wright regrets. "That's what's really stirred me up about this. Nobody's got my side of the story, or knows what I am for and how we fish,” Wright told the paper. "I go fishing up to twice a week. I've been fishing all my life and never killed a shark. It's not something that was planned. I've been game fishing since I could walk and caught hundreds of sharks and always gone out of my way to release them unharmed. I'm all for shark conservation and disgusted about what happens commercially with long lining.”

Unfortunately, what Wright says doesn’t matter. The video that made it onto the Internet does. It’s what people – especially those who feel strongly against fishing - will remember.

What are your thoughts? Comment below!

from TimDavey10 wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

Some people are just filled with ignorance that man could have done something useful with that shark.

from LovesOutdoors wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Oh God! I hope the antis don't get a hold of those photos. Nice move moron, nobody is laughing.

from Louzianajones wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Note to yourself: If I am going to do something stupid, I must not let anyone film it.

from bushytailnut97 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I believe that that was a dumb move. He is making all of us hunters and fisherman look bad. I know that people who are against fishing will now think that responsible fisherman like us will do that to a poor shark.

from elkslayer wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

I think everyone would react differently if he had just found it on the beach and surfed on it; but since he was also responsible for the sharks death it hurts his image.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

At this point his side of the story or excuse doesn't really matter. He captained the boat and should have put a stop to it.

from pineywoods wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

That ain't right. The shark did nothing to be so disrespected.

from Orange Grove wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

idiot

from 357 wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

disgusting, I can understand harvesting an animal as food/hard won trophy. That said this is a life that deserves respect! I have several fish in the freezer saving for a mount and I eat caught fish probably two times a week, I would never treat an animal with such disrespect and none of my children better either!

from Orange Grove wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

idiot

from 357 wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

from pineywoods wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

That ain't right. The shark did nothing to be so disrespected.

from bushytailnut97 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago