User logins have been temporarily disabled for scheduled maintenance of the site. Please check back later.

New Sign of Animal Apocalypse: Spider With Antlers

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

June 20, 2012
New Sign of Animal Apocalypse: Spider With Antlers - 4

About a month ago I did a blog about the coming animal apocalypse in which I detailed the weird creatures that are slowly infesting our waters and infiltrating our woods. Apparently I missed one. And it’s a doozie. Can you say Cordyceps? You can’t? Then how about a tarantula with antlers?!

The pictured spider is infected with Cordyceps: A parasitic fungus that replaces its host’s tissue with its own. Fortunately, the fungus only affects insects and other arthropods so you, me and our dogs are safe from ever growing antlers. At least I think so —  I’m not that great with science. I mean, I didn’t even know things like antlered spiders existed. Did you?

And what do you think Boone & Crockett will score this bad boy? Comment below!

from pineywoods wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

The Mayan End of Days in December is approaching with foreboding rapidity. I think it's time for other folks to start giving away their gun collections and I'll be happy to hold onto the guns for them.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Same for me JM. Its been a couple days now.

from JM wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

-People who are already afraid of spiders must be having a bad day.
-Wouldn't be surprised if someone bred these spiders to sell...some people will buy anything.
-And, Is the website messed up for anyone else? It wont load on either of my computers(Except for this article and one more).

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Given the rate of mutation that is occuring due to our continued use of chemicals and pesticides I wouldn't be surprised to wake up some morning and find Ginger, the dog, with antlers. She loves deer anyway. Thanks for the heads up Gayne!

from JM wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

-People who are already afraid of spiders must be having a bad day.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

Same for me JM. Its been a couple days now.

from pineywoods wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago