Sergey Gorshkov Photos: Dogs vs Russian Brown Bear

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

July 30, 2012
Sergey Gorshkov Photos: Dogs vs Russian Brown Bear - 13

Photographer Sergey Gorshkov captured this dramatic encounter of two guard dogs scaring off a huge brown bear in Kamchatka, Russia.

The bear swam across Kurile Lake to check out a fishing boat for food. When the owner of the boat saw the bear pulling up to the dock, he cut loose two of the camp guard dogs, a labrador and an akita.

The two dogs kept the bear at bay and eventually scared it off.

Gorskov, from Moscow, told the Daily Mail: "This fishing camp is brown bear territory and and dogs live there in the summer to guard territory. Bears like to investigate the boats. They used to be made from rubber but that was changed after bears would pop them with their razor sharp claws … The bears are the boss here and there is constant conflict with the guard dogs."

This isn't Gorskov's first time photographing big Russian brown bears. He's made a career of photographing big bruins and he spent six years following bears to capture shots of them in their natural environment.

In some instances, Gorskov even got in the water and swam with bears to get photographs.

"Photographing bears is risky," he told the Telegraph. "I have got as close to the bears in the wild as you could in the zoo. It is only now, looking back, that I realize how dangerous it was. Bears have caused more injuries to photographers than lions, tigers, leopards and sharks combined."

To see photos of some of the biggest brown bears ever killed in Russia see: SCI Record from Asia.

Photos by: Sergey Gorshkov/Minden/Solen News & Photo Agency

from ILikePike wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I didn't know bear claws were razor sharp until I read this article. Thanks for the info. The last time I seen bear claws they seemed some what blunt. They must have changed since then.

from Dodi Slosar wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

this is not akita, this is Laika.... west siberian laika...;)

from Debbie O'Brien wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

As a proud Akita owner myself, I can honestly say that this does not surprise me one bit! They are fiercely protective of both property and loved ones and would think nothing of going into battle with an animal 10 times its size if the need arose! Bears? Phhh! No problem, they have been doing it for years!!

(that said, she would run a mile to get away from the Vacuum or hair dryer!!)

Great pics though! xx

from Debbie O'Brien wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

(that said, she would run a mile to get away from the Vacuum or hair dryer!!)

Great pics though! xx

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Sorry, I should of post
(submerged bear) my mistake.

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

The Brown Bear's paw is as big as the dog's head. The dogs are pretty brave, standing five feet above with a dry dock and a boat in between them and a summered bear.
I would love to see the same scenario with all the animals on dry land face to face. Then we can see how tough the family pets really are.

from Kelly Scott Miller wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

@Shaker Taker. do you even have any idea about Akita's? Charles Wyatt said it right. Akita's have been used for Hundreds and Hundreds of years in the tracking of bears and have also been known to take down a bear in pairs of 2. please get your facts in order before you judge! I am a proud owner of an Akita who would stop at nothing to protect her family and land from a predator!

from Charles Wyatt wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Actually, that bear is an Akita's natural enemy.
Akita's were bred to hunt bears in Japan, so it wasn't about the dog being "dumb", he was following his natural instinct.
Dogs ARE the most engineered creatures on the planet after all.

from shaker taker wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Wow, those dumb dogs are lucky that bear didn't get any closer, or they would have been torn to shreds, just like a human. You mess with the bull(bear) you get the horns(claws). Pretty neat senario, and sweet pictures!

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Nice photos. Two very brave and smart dogs.

from charlie elk wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Considering that bear's fur is wet, plastered against its body and it still looks big. That is one huge bear for sure.
Good dogs.
later,
charlie

from Charles Wyatt wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Actually, that bear is an Akita's natural enemy.
Dogs ARE the most engineered creatures on the planet after all.

from Kelly Scott Miller wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Good dogs.
later,
charlie

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Nice photos. Two very brave and smart dogs.

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Sorry, I should of post
(submerged bear) my mistake.

from Debbie O'Brien wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

(that said, she would run a mile to get away from the Vacuum or hair dryer!!)

Great pics though! xx

from Debbie O'Brien wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

(that said, she would run a mile to get away from the Vacuum or hair dryer!!)

Great pics though! xx

from Dodi Slosar wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

this is not akita, this is Laika.... west siberian laika...;)

from ILikePike wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago