440-Inch Bull Taken with Governor's Tag in Arizona

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

August 27, 2012
440-Inch Bull Taken with Governor's Tag in Arizona - 24

Check out this monster elk photo posted on the Boone & Crockett Club's Trophy Watch website. The bull was reportedly taken by Corey Knowlton with the Arizona Governor's tag. Each year the state auctions off a tag that allows a hunter to hunt the prime units in the state.

The bull's green gross score is a whopping 440 inches. The world record typical elk was taken in Arizona in 1968 and stands at 442 5/8 inches (net score).

Knowlton took the 7X8 bull on a rifle hunt in northern Arizona. He was guided by Starr Guide Service and Mossback Arizona.

If this bull is scored typical, and depending on deductions, it has the potential to make the top 10 in the B&C record books.

See a gallery of the 40 biggest elk.

from highandwide wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

A couple things:
1) B&C doesn't take racks with velvet..
2) You can buy a lottery ticket for the AZ super tag which is just like the Governor's tag..
3) Enjoy hunting this Fall wherever you are! Congrats to the hunter that took that awesome elk... Have a good time out there fellas that is what its all about!

from peteyraymond wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

I don't have a problem that someone has enough money to win the auction. Hell, we ALL wish we had more money. I'd just like to see some Average Joes have a shot at the Governor's Tag.

Solution: Make it a lottery. $10 a ticket. Sell just ten thousand tickets (a very modest number) and you've already reached the six figure amount that can be put toward elk conservation. I'd be willing to bet that ticket sale revenues would be MUCH greater than the amount taken in by the current auction. Fair chase rules. Follow the regular season dates and regulations that ALL elk hunters must follow. Winning tag CANNOT be resold - this would defeat the purpose of making the hunt available to Average Joes.

from Longbeard78 wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

It was a legal hunt. Let it be. We hunters need to band together and fight our real enemies, not each other over petty jealousies.

Besides, one can pay about $25K to hunt the WMAT for that kind of elk. Granted, it has to be in season and with an Apache guide, but odds are very good once you get the permit. I saw three 400+ inch bulls on an archery raghorn hunt there (only $500 at the time) and was AWESTRUCK!!! One of them worked a wallow and then came within bow range of me and our guide while we were lying flat on our backs in the pines. It was both exhilarating and frustrating at the same time. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford one of those trophy tags and will still have enough years left to get to the top of the waiting list. In the meantime, I gotta build up those bonus points.

from MossBaby wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Honda Forever, Youth Hunts are only conducted in General Elk Hunting Units in the State of Utah and MossBack does not guide in the General Units, so I hope you have your facts straight cause it looks as though either you do not or someone played a dirty trick on you and told you that they worked for someone that they do not.

from Alex Robinson wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

One important thing to note guys, this bull has not been accepted by the B&C yet. A brief was simply posted on their website. The elk still has to be officially scored and certified.

from HondaForever wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

it was on public land too!!!!!!!!

from HondaForever wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

thats such bull crap mossback in utah should not even be considered hunters. My first elk hunt i drew out for a youth any bull elk tag i was excited as heck. the very last day of the hunt I saw a really big 7x7 and set up for the shot when out of no where a truck flys out of the trees horns a blazing and the elk got the heck out of there ruining my chance at my very first elk. I get the heck over to where he was and started chewing him out when he told me that he work for mossback and he had a client coming in from california to kill that bull

from Gerard Kaczmarek wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Anybody can win a tag like that fron Az. go to; www.arizonabiggamesuperraffle.com for details. Little known fact you can sell the tags if you win the raffle !!!!

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

It's just more proof, big antlers are bought these days, not hunted for. Hunting is not the same any more. It's not just this instance it's all over.

from RemsDad wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

I don't see enough information to come to some of the conclusions that some have found. Was it a legal hunt? If so, shut up! For crying out loud. Just because someone can afford to buy a license that we couldn't doesn't mean squat. Do the crybabies here bemoan animals taken by hunters who buy tags in Africa? I can't afford that either, but you won't see me dissing this or any other LEGAL HUNT. We as hunters have enough idiots complaining about us, why spend time picking each other apart?

from Budrow wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

I'm not an elk hunter, never have been never will be, more power to those that are.

I am curious however. How much does one actually pay for a "governor's tag"? Someone mentioned "six-figures". Is that correct? SIX FIGURES? Are you kiddin' me? Hell it's all I can do to pay twenty bucks for a box of shells for deer hunting. Some people just seem to have it all I guess. Nothing wrong with that either but guys like me living in the real world struggle to pay (in this state) the sixty-two dollars it takes for an annual hunt/fish license to say nothing of the extras for the deer tags and certain stamps and such. The joy of hunting has a price but my God. I guess if the funds were better managed by the government it would be different but they are not.

Congrats on the elk my friend.

I do think the "tied to a tree" comment was kinda chitty.

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

A lot of comments on B&C standards of fair chase. Why is B&C club the almighty final word on "fair chase" hunting? If they want to set the standards for entry into their record book that's fine, but who says that they are the "end all be all" of the definition of fair chase. Do we expect state game agencies to consult B&C before setting regulations, and thus become subject to the trophy hunter crowd?

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

If Governor tags bring in extra monetary fees
into the Fish and Game programs, such as endangered species, then I am all in favor of it.
They should have more Arizona Governor elk tags up for auction. There are plenty of monster elk out there and their species is thriving. I think all the states should have Governor tags for sale, to help out all the endangered species. The endangered species can use all the help they can get.

from sticknstring wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

There is an amazing amount of cry-baby comments on this. I can’t help but feel a bit confused and need some clarification of a few questions. If a tag is a permit from the state to harvest an animal; then how are Governor’s tags and general season tags different? I understand that one allows you to hunt at any time of year but in the end it is still just a permit to harvest ONE animal. The real issue is that you are jealous (even you elkboy). In all reality, since the money for any tag goes to the same place it’s all pimping wildlife and legalized poaching. We should stop and take up bird watching.
Congratulations Corey, nice bull.

from GoldToyBox wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

He paid the money he gets the tag, no problem there; but not so sure it's any different than a "high fence" hunt. I don't quite believe the 'fair chase' standards of B&C have been met.
As for the 'extra money' for the game dept, I'm not seeing the benefit ... yet. Hopefully it actually helps. I've never seen an accurate accounting of the funds for any state using these funds.... is the budget actually expanded for just reduced by that amount next go around?

One hell of an Elk, congrats to the hunter.

from Mark Orlicky wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Agree with huntfishtrap.... Here's a suggestion.
Boone & Crocket record people: Please add these Governor Tags to the list of bad practices, such as the high fence animal farms, animals trapped in deep snow, animals taken out of season...
Of course, if the lucky bidder can't enter his / her name into the record books, would they still be bidding?

from Derek St.Romain wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

so they caught a giant wild Elk and tied it to a tree? or I guess they somehow broke all the game laws to kill this majestic animal? why dont you just say you dont like the fact you cannot afford a hunt like Mr. Knowlton can. Do you know him? Know his ethics? No, just a liberal mindset that has now raised its ugly head even in hunting where if you have the means to do what most cannot you must be an evil, law breaking slob of a hunter/businessman/corporate exec. ....you people make me sick!

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

I for one don't like governor's tags - for anything. Before you trot out the "it generates lots of revenue" argument, I agree, it can, but there's got to be other ways to generate that revenue and still give everyone a chance to hunt a remarkable animal like that, not just a guy with deep pockets.

from 6phunter wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

LOOKS like he still has some velvet,and a summer coat.I have no problem w/ how he got his license. I agree with ELKSLAYER ON HIS POINT.MY ONLY OBJECTION IS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DURING THE REGULAR SEASON. HELL OF AN ANIMAL EITHER WAY.

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

This kind of tag can make up for a lot of revenue to state fish and game dept. Selling one tag to the highest bidder is not going to adversely affect the herd. By keeping it to one tag, they can guarantee high demand and high prices, the funds going to state conservation efforts. This should never become the normal way of distibuting tags but for one tag per year I think it's fine.

from Blue Ox wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

A governer's tag is just a state's way of saying: Hey, you have more money than you know what to do with- throw a bunch our way & you can do whatever you want.
Legalized poaching, nothing more.

from elkboy wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

AZ's Governor's elk tag allows the holder to pay six figures to hunt any day of the year anywhere in the state with any weapon. And thanks to the Mossback boys, they may have well had the elk tied to a tree waiting for this "hunter" to kill it. Jealous? Not one bit. Annoyed? Absolutely. Some states such as Utah and AZ are pimping our wildlife to the highest bidder and giving all hunters a black eye.

from Mark Orlicky wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Question: The right side of that rack looks like its got some branching. Did this bull fall into the nontypical category, or is it still considered a typical? Recall, the WR non typical is close to 500" (the Spyder Bull), while the WR typical is that 442 net figure.
In any event, this is a very large animal and I offer my most sincere congratulations. A job well done! Hope to hear the tale soon.

from JM wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

I'm sure this was an extremely challenging hunt....

from JM wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

I'm sure this was an extremely challenging hunt....

from Mark Orlicky wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from elkboy wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from 6phunter wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from Mark Orlicky wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Agree with huntfishtrap.... Here's a suggestion.

from Longbeard78 wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from GoldToyBox wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

One hell of an Elk, congrats to the hunter.

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from RemsDad wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from Gerard Kaczmarek wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from HondaForever wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from Alex Robinson wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from peteyraymond wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from MossBaby wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from highandwide wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

A couple things:
1) B&C doesn't take racks with velvet..

from Blue Ox wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Legalized poaching, nothing more.

from Budrow wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Congrats on the elk my friend.

I do think the "tied to a tree" comment was kinda chitty.

from Derek St.Romain wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from sticknstring wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Congratulations Corey, nice bull.

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

If Governor tags bring in extra monetary fees

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from HondaForever wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

it was on public land too!!!!!!!!