Romney Picks 'Avid Outdoorsman' Paul Ryan as Vice-Presidential Running Mate

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

August 13, 2012
Romney Picks 'Avid Outdoorsman' Paul Ryan as Vice-Presidential Running Mate - 9

Like it or not, as the 2012 presidential race marches on toward November, we're going to learn a lot about the candidates' personal lives. They'll try to hide their blemishes and highlight their strengths.

While there's a lot to learn about the newest man to the race, Representative Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.), one thing is for sure: he's not hiding the fact that he's a hunter. Ryan, 42, has the buck photo above posted on his Facebook page. He posted it during the middle of the Wisconsin gun deer season with a note saying "I hope you and your family are having a happy Thanksgiving." The news release announcing Ryan as the new republican vice-presidential candidate states that Ryan is an “an avid outdoorsman” and a member of “his local archery association, the Janesville Bowmen.”

In 2011, Ryan was quoted by the New York Times saying:"What I look forward to reading the most is Quality Whitetails Journal. It’s from the Quality Deer Management Association and gives insight on deer biology and habitat stewardship. I was planting clover this past weekend at my mom’s place in a rural part of Wisconsin. Yes, deer like to eat clover."

There's no shortage of politicians trying to paint themselves as outdoorsmen. Romney himself claimed to be a "varmint hunter" in 2007 stating: “I've always been a rodent and rabbit hunter. Small varmints, if you will. I began when I was 15 or so and I have hunted those kinds of varmints since then."

Later, he went on to confuse moose and elk when describing a hunting trip he was on. Romney admits that he's not a "serious hunter" but enjoys going when he gets the opportunity.

But Ryan seems like a bona fide hunter. Last year, Time magazine shot a photo of him at full draw with a compound bow in his office. One look at the photo, even though he's in a suit and tie on, and you can tell from his form that he knows what he's doing (see that photo here).

Ryan's reputation as a hunter could help the Romney/Ryan campaign in crucial swing states like Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio, Colorado and Minnesota, which are all home to large populations of outdoorsmen.

If you know anything about Ryan, you probably know that his focus is on balancing the federal budget. To do so, he wants to make sweeping changes to government programs like Medicare  and Medicaid, but there are also planned cuts for spending on natural resources and the environment. Spending on natural resources and the environment would be 14.6 percent lower under Ryan’s budget in 2014 than it is today, according to the Washinton Post.

Stay tuned for more coverage on Ryan's hunting experience and policy objectives in the coming weeks.

from mesarich wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Looks like some people believe the spin from msnbc and cnn. The truth is Ryan's plan is not a cut, just slowing the growth. Also know that under Obama's health care laws both medicare and social security are "cut" more then under Ryan's plan. Educate yourself, liberals love voters who dont know the facts, or count on msnbc to give them the straight story.

from Jigger1231 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Mr. Ryan,
Please remember that Medicare and Social Security are NOT entitlements, but monies due from monies paid into a system mandating us to pay into. While not a lot, it is a BIG difference in my quality of life as a MS patient who LOVES hunting and fishing.

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Sorry, Correction, Congressman Ryan not Governor Ryan.

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Four years ago, I thought it was fantastic when John McCann picked the Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his Vice
President selection. Palin was pro gun, pro hunting and pro conservation.
Now this year the Wisconsin Governor Paul Ryan is selected by Romney as his VP. Ryan is pro gun, pro hunting and pro conservation, just like Palin.
I hope the majority of Americans realize, that President Obama failed at his job miserably and its now time to remove him from the White House.
I hope the free loaders don't dominate the election booths and keep Obama in so they can get more government freebies to feather their own nest.

from Victor Rossi wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Watch His Step

I hope Congressman Ryan is careful when out in the wilds of Wisconsin. Hopefully, he will be the same before he considers cutting on my Medicare and my Social Security.

from JM wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Good thought Charlie, definetely something to consider. I just do not know enough about Mr. Ryan yet to know for sure though (I didn't even know who the man was until this morning when it was announced).

from charlie elk wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

He is prepared to make a big sacrifice because you know as VP with all that secret service protection hunting will never be the same; and that tells us a lot.
later,
charlie

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I wish him all the best in this election. I'm sure we wil bereading and learning more about Congressman Ryan over the next few monhs. I'm sure Obama/Biden are well along with theiir hatchet job on this man.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Sounds like a good politician (if there is such a thing).

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Sounds like a good politician (if there is such a thing).

from charlie elk wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

later,
charlie

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

President selection. Palin was pro gun, pro hunting and pro conservation.

from mesarich wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from JM wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Sorry, Correction, Congressman Ryan not Governor Ryan.

from Jigger1231 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago