Brazilian Scientists Plan to Clone Endangered Species

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

November 19, 2012
Brazilian Scientists Plan to Clone Endangered Species - 4

Brazilian researchers announced they will attempt to clone eight endangered animal species in order to prevent the collapse of wild populations, reports the Inter Press Service. The animals chosen for cloning include species like jaguar, gray brocket deer, and bison.

But scientists say they don't plan to release clones into the wild just yet. The project isn't about boosting existing wild populations; It's more like insurance. If total extinction seriously threatens any of the eight species in the future, only then will researchers consider releasing cloned animals. They also hope to increase the number of captive animals without reducing wild populations.

Over the past two years, researchers at the Brasilia Zoological Garden have collected genetic samples like blood and umbilical cord cells, mostly from dead animals. They now have 420 samples from eight different species to use for cloning, and they plan to gather even more.

Brazil's governmental agricultural research agency, EMBRAPA, has already succeeded in cloning over 100 cows and horses. The project's next step requires EMBRAPA to train the zoo's researchers in cloning techniques. The zoo hopes to begin cloning its first species, the maned wolf, within the next month.

While many support cloning endangered animals, others argue we should focus on combating the reasons animals become endangered in the first place.

What do you think? Comment below!

from Sven_Katur wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

Get ready for venomous, duck-billed, beaver-tailed, otter-footed mammals with big gnashy teeth ...

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

I think it's more of a math issue than a science issue. 99.9% of all species that have lived on this planet are extinct. I know it's sad, but it's the norm. Leave mother nature alone. It reminds me of pet cemetery a little bit. Creepy for sure.

from JM wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

I'm with huntfishtrap. I think it will be interesting to find out whether or not it will work, but at the same time it makes me a little nervous about what will happen if they are successful.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

In theory, this is a neat idea, but in practice I'm not sure how comfortable I am with the whole idea of cloning animals.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago