Texas Angler Lands Record 7-Pound Goldfish

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

November 19, 2012
Texas Angler Lands Record 7-Pound Goldfish - 10

Angler John Wiseman was night-fishing for crappie and catfish at Lake Tawakoni in Texas this summer when he inadvertently reeled in a giant goldfish, reports the Lone Star Outdoor News

In June, Wiseman caught the lake's record 41-pound Bigmouth buffalo with dough bait made from Big Red and Wheaties. But three days later the bait wasn't helping, and he seemed to be in for a slow night.

"I hadn’t caught a fish for about three hours when he hit, and I didn’t think much of it," Wiseman told LSON. "He felt like another 6 or 7-pound carp, until he came up and I saw his fins."

Although the goldfish was an unusual catch, Wiseman still planned to release it. But one of the marina workers among the crowd of onlookers told him the goldfish might be a record. So Wiseman kept his catch and weighed the goldfish at 7.24 pounds. The previous record was about five pounds, making Wiseman's goldfish the new Texas state record.

“While it’s prestigious, it’s hilarious,” he said. “You live your whole life wanting to catch a record and then you catch a damn goldfish.”

Game wardens checked confirmed the goldfish identification a few days later, and recently certified its place in the record books.

from DaBears wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Any record is a good record when it comes to fishing & hunting!

from JM wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Don't get me wrong, I think OL was wrong in not asking for permission(and not giving the credit owed to the one who did the original story).
-There are times though when you can legally use a copyrighted image without permission huntfishtrap, and this is one of them...I think it is the wrong thing to do though(especially when LSON would of been glad to allow them to use it had they simply asked so I fully understand why they are upset).

from CHarrisonLSON wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

@ huntfishtrap-

Here at LSON, we are thrilled when other organizations want to use our material. However, there is a proper way to go about it. The problem with these pseudo-journalist bloggers is they come on our website, steal a photo directly from our website (as evidenced by our watermark on the photo), rewrite the story using nothing but our reporter's work, and then post it as their own. My reporter did all of the legwork, interviews, etc ... and should get credit for doing so. As I stated in my earlier post, we have a standard way of letting bloggers use our material, but it involves them picking up the phone and asking us, then linking the story back to our website after the first paragraph so we both benefit from the web traffic. Ms. Krebs did neither, hence our issue with her post. Unfortunately, this has become all too common in the world of journalism today. A little professional courtesy goes a long way.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

@JM
I'm no expert on copyright law, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, if something's copyrighted, then no one else can use it, without the express written consent (usually) of the person or organization holding the copyright. In this case, if Mr. Harrison is to be believed, Lone Star Outdoor News didn't give their permission for the image and text to be used by OL, and so OL is in violation of the copyright law.

from JM wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

@mallard1,
Read how copyrights work.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Well well, OL got caught with their hand in the cookie jar...lol.

from Mallard1 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

"JM"- Curious on what "CHarrisonLSON" is 'wrong' about when there is an obvious watermark in the lower left of the picture that says the picture is only for LSON?

from JM wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Cool looking fish.
CHarrisonLSON: You're wrong.

from CHarrisonLSON wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

@Natalie Krebs.
Please bother to pick up the phone and call us next time you plagiarize our story and steal our copyrighted photo. We allow this only when we are asked, and only then may you use our picture, the first paragraph of our story and a link to the rest of the story on our Website. The next time it happens, you will hear from our attorney.

Conor Harrison
Managing Editor, Lone Star Outdoor News

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I wonder how long ago that bruiser outgrew someone's fish bowl.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I wonder how long ago that bruiser outgrew someone's fish bowl.

from CHarrisonLSON wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

@Natalie Krebs.

Conor Harrison
Managing Editor, Lone Star Outdoor News

from JM wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Cool looking fish.
CHarrisonLSON: You're wrong.

from Mallard1 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Well well, OL got caught with their hand in the cookie jar...lol.

from JM wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

@mallard1,
Read how copyrights work.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

@JM

from CHarrisonLSON wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

@ huntfishtrap-

from JM wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from DaBears wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Any record is a good record when it comes to fishing & hunting!