Two California Hunters Hosed by 'Outfitter,' Good Samaritan Saves the Day

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

November 09, 2012
Two California Hunters Hosed by 'Outfitter,' Good Samaritan Saves the Day - 9

To say that Jeff Hunt and a friend got screwed on a Spokane bear hunt they purchased off eBay would be an understatement.

The two hunters from Modesto, California purchased the $1,000 Washington bear hunt from facilitator Sean Siegel who was supposedly very clear about what he was promising.  Unfortunately what he promised and what he delivered were two very different things.

“I have it in writing,” Jeff explained to the Spokesman-Review about his being told he’d be placed in a treestand. “But he sets us up in a ground blind. I'm glassing through the trees at daylight and I see lady doing dishes through her kitchen window. There’s a road right there. Another house. A school bus. I have a .300 Win. Mag and I’m afraid to shoot the thing.”

To further make matters worse Sean Siegel later sent the hunters to timber company land on Mica Peak without telling them they would be required to possess an Inland Empire Paper Company access permit.  When Jeff and his friend were caught on the property by a security guard, they were quickly kicked off and the Fish and Wildlife police were called.

But things took a turn for the better when Jeff and his buddy went back into town.

”We went to a restaurant, and we’re all pissed off about getting ripped off by this hunting guide, and somebody we don’t know from Adam hears us and offers to take us hunting,” Jeff said.

“The next morning he drives us all the way north near the Canada border and we saw several bears. We didn’t shoot one, but at least we saw some. The best part of our hunting experience was through a guy who wouldn’t take a dime for what he did for us.”

It’s always good to hear that’s there’s someone out there doing the right thing.

from GoldToyBox wrote 48 weeks 4 days ago

Actually this is a pretty common event (the rip off) but great that Adam was there to help!
Just a word ... if you're booking a Elk hunt near Craig Colorado, watch out of a "nice little ole lady" outfitter. She is slick! I won't get her name here but she is known to all the locals for her swindling of out of state hunters.

from blue ridge wrote 49 weeks 4 days ago

I went to an outfitter in Shinning Tree, Ont. Canada. The first time we went everything was great. The second time we got screwed. I thought me buddy was going to kill the guide, they would have never found the body.

from Don Steiner wrote 1 year 3 days ago

Thats what you get buying a cheep online and from a Jew. If you had researched your potential outfitters and talked to people who recommended them you would have had a great hunt

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Its good to know that good samaritans are still out there.

from Bob Hansen wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Hi...

Sometimes the "Good Samaritans" can make life worthwhile, eh?

from Mark Orlicky wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I can say that eBay does not like anyone playing fraudulent games like this on their site. Jeff and his buddy should go thru eBay (and I hope they used PayPal) and file a request for their money back. You might be surprised.
And, the activities this Sean was promising, might require a guide license from the state.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I've heard that you should never book a hunt without meeting the outfitter face-to-face, guess that might have saved some trouble in this case.

from Andrew Williams wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I don't know about legal ramifications for the jerk who did this,but Ebay does have their buyer protection policy so that people in similar situations can get some ,or even all of their money back.All they have to do is to open a case and Ebay will do the rest.

from scoony24 wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Are there any legal ramifications to pusue from the outfitter?

Of course, I guess you run that risk if you are buying huts off of Ebay. Has anybody else bought a hunt off of Ebay? How was it?

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from Bob Hansen wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Hi...

Sometimes the "Good Samaritans" can make life worthwhile, eh?

from Mark Orlicky wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from scoony24 wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Are there any legal ramifications to pusue from the outfitter?

from Andrew Williams wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Its good to know that good samaritans are still out there.

from Don Steiner wrote 1 year 3 days ago