Costa Rica Becomes First Latin American Country to Ban Hunting

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

December 11, 2012
Costa Rica Becomes First Latin American Country to Ban Hunting - 4

On Monday, Costa Rica's congress voted unanimously to ban hunting as a sport. It is the first Latin American country to pass hunting-ban legislation.  Currently, 25 percent of Costa Rica's land is protected as national parks or reserves and it is one of the most biodiverse country's in the world.

The penalty for illegally hunting in Costa Rica will be up to four months in prison and fines of up to $3,000.

It's important to note that hunting culture and conservation in Costa Rica are much different than they are in the United States. According to Reuters, many foreign hunters come to the country for exotic cats or rare birds. The country has no estimate on how much money hunting generates for the economy or wildlife conservation.

In the U.S., hunting generated $34 billion dollars in 2011, according to a survey conducted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Wildlife recreation  (hunting, fishing, bird watching, camping, ect.) generated $145 billion in the U.S. in 2011.

from DaBears wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I never planned on hunting in Costa Rica, so it's ok with me. If Texas or New Mexico banned hunting then I would be upset.

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

It is also illegal to smoke in Costa Rica. In parts of Costa Rica you can be killed for adultrey. Catholic priests have state power. Does a hunting ban suprise you? They are nuts.

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I have heard the resorts there are really nice. While I understand they are a sovereign nation and have every right to make their own laws, I won't be spending any of my dollars on their tourism industry.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

This is disturbing, but their hunting culture is quite a bit different from ours, as noted.

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago