User logins have been temporarily disabled for scheduled maintenance of the site. Please check back later.

New Hampshire Hunter Gored by Deer He Shot

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

December 04, 2012
New Hampshire Hunter Gored by Deer He Shot - 4

A New Hampshire deer hunter is recovering from a pierced abdomen after the deer he shot charged and gored him.

Everett Gray, 54, of Cornish, New Hampshire shot the eight point whitetail near his home last Thursday. When Everett approached the deer to finish the kill with a knife, the buck lunged forward catching the hunter in the gut and lifting him off the ground.

The enraged deer then slammed the hapless hunter to the ground and, with his antler still impaled, pushed Everett several feet down a slope. Somehow Everett managed to free himself from the antler point and seek help.

Everett’s brother and friends strung the now dead deer in Everett’s garage while he received treatment at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.

This story reminds me of my first African safari when my PH Eric Sorour told me, “The problem with you American hunters is that you shoot an animal and then rush over to look at it without insuring that it’s dead. Shoot it then shoot again until you’re certain it’s dead.”

While this advice was given in regards to African game, the latter part certainly applies to whitetail hunters.

Don’t approach an animal until you’re certain it’s dead.

from DaBears wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

My grandpa said you should kick the deer to make sure it's dead before you start field dressing. Maybe the insurance shot the African guide suggested isn't such a bad idea.

from Pup49 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Back in the late 50's I saw my uncle Aquilla down a nice buck. Walking some 70 yards,he put his gun down and took out his knife. The buck jumped up, Aquilla jumped on the buck. It carried Aquilla through heavy brush while he stabbed at it repeatedly. Minutes later, after a great commotion, Aquilla appeared with torn and bloody clothes dragging out blood soaked buck. He said, "I got the son of a b****.

from 6phunter wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Even Rambo knows better than to pull that trick.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

If the eyes are open, it's almost certainly dead, though you should still approach with caution. If the eyes are closed, shoot it again.

from 6phunter wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Even Rambo knows better than to pull that trick.

from Pup49 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago