VIDEO: Utah Sheriff Frees Moose Tangled in Swing Set

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

December 11, 2012
VIDEO: Utah Sheriff Frees Moose Tangled in Swing Set - 7

Just in case you missed it…

A Utah sheriff managed to free a bull moose tangled in a backyard swing set in Ogden, Utah this August, and a bystander caught the rescue on video.

Sgt. Lane Findlay gave his cell phone to an onlooker and asked him to record the rescue attempt, reports ABC News. Just as the footage begins to roll, you can hear him say, "In case I die, give this to my wife."

Although Findlay initially contacted wildlife officials, he learned they might take an hour to arrive on the scene.

"I just made the decision to go in there and see what I could do," Findlay told the Associated Press. "Fortunately, the moose was tired and it didn't seem threatened."

Armed with nothing but a pair of bolt cutters, Findlay cautiously approaches the distressed moose. The bull is breathing hard and twists away from Findlay, its rack still snared in the two swings. On the second attempt, the moose calms down enough and Findlay successfully slices the first chain. The exhausted bull eventually stands still and allows Findlay to cut through the remaining chains. At one point Findlay even strokes the moose's nose and speaks to it softly.

When the last chain snaps, the bull trots off into the yard. The video ends there, but Findlay said the moose drank from a bucket of water and collapsed in a driveway. Findlay hosed down the moose for nearly an hour until wildlife officials arrived. Although they determined its physical injuries weren't fatal, the battle with the swings was apparently too stressful. According to Findlay, someone found the moose dead later that week.

Despite the unhappy ending, Findlay successfully freed the bull when he could have waited for wildlife professionals. You never want to see a wild animal suffer, but you also want to avoid a thrashing. What would you have done?

Comment below!

from DaBears wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

People in Alaska are trampled to death every year by cornered moose. Look it up. I would wait the hour for the wildlife pros to arrive. My kids need my love and paycheck too much to die over a moose.

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

That definutely took jumbo brass cajones.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I don't think I would've gotten that close to a upset moose, that officer's got more nerve than me. Too bad the moose died, but it seems like he did all he could've done.

from GuyGene wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I was sad to hear the moose died later. Seems almost that even wild crits kind of know if they are being helped - of course, he was so worn out, he couldn't do much I guess. It is amazing that being that exhausted could have killed the moose. I think the officer did what was best in this case.

from JM wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

That moose was breathing hard so I'm guessing he was pretty exhausted.

from HBhunter wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Yeah that took some serious nerve. I might have attempted to affix a box cutter to a pole and try to cut through the seat of the swing. (from afar)

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

That took a lot of nerve to cut him lose. He must have been pretty exhausted to even let him get that close. I'd like that young man that said it as cool to see that snared deer that strangled to see this. Might learn him a thing or two about what a crappy way to die this would be. I don't know if he was here or on F&S.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from HBhunter wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from JM wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

That moose was breathing hard so I'm guessing he was pretty exhausted.

from GuyGene wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

That definutely took jumbo brass cajones.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago