Local Squirrel Hunt Causes Controversy in New York

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

February 01, 2013
Local Squirrel Hunt Causes Controversy in New York - 7

It's not much of surprise that wolf hunting, hunting with hounds, and bear hunting have all been protested against in one way or another in the last year. But squirrel hunting?

This from ABC13"The '7th Annual Hazzard County Squirrel Slam' sponsored by the Holley Fire Department, lasts most of the day on Saturday, February 16. Teams of two compete to bring back the biggest squirrel, and kids as young as 12 with a junior hunting license are allowed to compete as well, which has raised concerns with some in the community.

'I don't even think kids that young should be holding guns,' said Terrie Luxon when asked if kids should be allowed to participate."

The Humane Society wrote the fire department a letter asking them to cease and desist and other activists have started petitions online.

Luckily, the Holley Fire Department plans on going on with the squirrel hunt despite the  criticism.

How far we fallen when it's controversial for kids to spend a day squirrel hunting with their parents. For the record, New York allows 12 year olds to hunt with adult supervision and a junior license. The season runs from September through February and there's a daily bag limit of 6.

For the life of me, I cannot see what the controversy is here.

from Bob Hansen wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Hi...

I can only make these comments: 1) I started hunting and trapping when I was 12-years old or younger. 2) The County mentioned in that post does NOT exist in NYS...!!

from m444ss wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

Well, that's just ridiculous. Why shouldn't a 12-year old handle a rifle. What that woman most likely really thinks is that no one should handle a rifle.
What better way to introduce a child to shooting and safe gun handling than this? And isn't it better that they learn now so that, as adults, safe gun practices will already be ingrained and well-apprecaited?

from DaBears wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

Answer
Blue state + hunting = controversy (excluding our friends in WV, Michigan, and PA of course)

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

The squirrel hunt is legal and ethical. I am sure they are eating them and maybe using the tails/hide. The contest maybe spurred this, but who cares they are doing nothing wrong and it's fun to keep score somtimes.

from trudeau wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I don't think it is safe for their children to even recycle trash would if they cut a vain and died... We should ban recycling. UGH!

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I agree with going on with the squirrel hunt. The young people have to be with an adult so what is the problem.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I don't see a problem here, but then animal rightists have never been accused of having an abundance of common sense.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago