User logins have been temporarily disabled for scheduled maintenance of the site. Please check back later.

Hunters Boycott Colorado Over New Gun Control Laws

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

March 27, 2013
Hunters Boycott Colorado Over New Gun Control Laws - 6

Hunters from around the country are planning to boycott Colorado after the state passed stricter gun control legislation last week. "Republican opponents of the new background-check law said it would make criminals of hunters lending each other [guns] for weekend hunting trips. In response, Democrats changed the bill to give people a 72-hour grace period to share guns without triggering background-check requirements. Republicans then complained the bill would imperil weeklong hunting trips," according to the Associated Press.

And the backlash has begun. Outfitters have reported a flood of trip cancelations from out-of-state hunters and Michael Bane, a producer for the Outdoor Channel, said he would no longer film his four shows in Colorado.

"There's a united front of sportsmen that are tired of having their freedoms and liberties and fundamental rights taken away from them," Chris Jurney, vice president of the Colorado Outfitters Association, told the AP. "That kind of unity among sportsmen is going to be big, and unfortunately for those of us who live here, we're going to suffer the consequences of this misguided legislation."

Of course, it's too early to tell if this unofficial boycott will actually have a large economic or political impact on the state, but in the meantime it should at least serve as a warning to other states considering similar legislation.

from kiddsport wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

I quit hunting elk in Colorado six years ago after a pre-season scouting trip during which I witnessed a landowner herding game onto his private ranch a week before the season opened. When I returned the following week, I saw over a hundred head of deer and elk grazing in his posted pasture grass. I saw nothing the following days of hunting on public lands and have never returned to hunt that blighted state.

from kiddsport wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

DuckhunterCO,
The outfitters and other sportsmen suffering under the current Democratic leadership owe their condition to sitting at home on election day and allowing a minority to dictate. When they see their income impacted, they will have a greater desire to become more politically involved. A boycott also withholds tax revenue from the Colorado legislature.

from DuckhunterCO wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

A boycott is just what we need...lets tell these outfitters and guides, that likely did not vote Democrat and likely do not support the gun bills, that we won't support them because the other side and the representatives in Denver, Boulder, Vail and Aspen passed some really bad bills that will do nothing to stop crimes.

Lets make it harder for the working families who live outside Denver and likely share your love of freedom and the outdoors to make a living.

That's the ticket! There are enough "sight-seers" in Colorado each year to make up for any lost revenue from a few thousand boycotting hunters and gun-lovers.

If you want to do something productive, donate some cash to the Colorado Republican Party, RMGO, or individual Republican candidates so we can kick out the Dems. The Republicans stood firm against these measures and should be rewarded.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I am an avid hunter and gun owner, and as such disagree with most of the Democrat-proposed gun laws. However, I think the gun-rights community needs to stop demonizing our opponents in this fight, calling them "Nazis", "Socialists", "Anti-American", "scum", etc. By doing that, we take the level of discussion down into the mud, and become no better than the liberals who call us "Crazed gun nuts", among other things.

from Troutman22 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I urge every Rv'er, Business person, Vacationer, Hunter and Retiree considering Colorado as a place to visit, OR EVEN DRIVE THRU....DON'T!

Many Companies and employees will be hurt by the result of this unconstitutional legislation signed into law by this disgraceful Governor Hickenlooper. However, these Liberal Nazi's in the “Peoples Republic of Denver” Legislature, and the Governor only understand one thing....Lost revenue!!!

Make no mistake about it, Colorado will lose revenue due to this ill thoughtout and misguided illegal legislation by Our political collection of idiots.
I urge the BOYCOTT OF COLORADO as I have lived here 35 years, and I am voting with my feet! I will move to, RV in, and spend my hard earned dollars in States that respect the U.S. Constitution and it’s Citizens. States that have not been taken over by liberal Californicators. These treehuggers destroyed their CA State finances, migrated here and now seek to do the same to Colorado.

The writing is on the wall, and nothing except voting these scoundrels out will change the disgusting immoral and unlawful trends they have implemented on Colorado Citizen, as well as those of you who were prone to visit this State.

I ask you to BOYCOTT COLORADO NOW. PLEASE SPEND YOUR MONEY IN STATES THAT RESPECT THE CITIZENRY and uphold U.S. Constitutional rights of Citizens.

Colorado has now become a cesspool for weed heads, Nanny Stater's, and Denver liberal thinking scum who DO NOT REPRESENT the populous & will of the majority of Colorado!

Therefore, we urge everyone to stay clear of the “Peoples Republic of Denver/Colorado” until such time as Coloradans can take their State back from this liberal infestation of cancer that has now gripped the State! I urge everyone to not even fill up your gas tank here…go around Colorado all together.
BOYCOTT COLORADO….AND, TELL YOUR FRIENDS!

from Gsquare wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I don't hunt big game in Colorado but I do vacation there and I plan to stop visiting the state, period. Until the people of Colorado retake their govt the backlash to the democratic legislature will hurt them all.
I also plan to contact the tourist bureau in colo and tell them the same thing.

from Gsquare wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I also plan to contact the tourist bureau in colo and tell them the same thing.

from Troutman22 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

BOYCOTT COLORADO….AND, TELL YOUR FRIENDS!

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago